Curious Case of Chris Weidman

oh I thought this thread was gonna be about how his performance suddenly dropped hard after USADA

It might have been this, yes.
Also, his competition got better.
Rockhold, Romero and Mousasi were just better than nonTRT Vitor, out of shape Machida and Silva.

On the one hand I’d like to see Jacare/Weidman in the other I think Jacare should get the next title shot as is.

Maybe the Chris vs The Salt 2?
I am good with that fight but Jacare lost decisively against Whittaker and has had only 1 fight since with a 2nd win over Derek Brunson. I don't have a problem with him having to fight The Chris but I would really like to see Salt vs Still My Boy. Really would love to see Luke eat some more crow.

I would have a hard time with Jacare winning one fight and fighting Whittaker again if he beats Yoel.

So tell me, what's next for the former UFC Middleweight Champ Chris Weidman?

No fight scheduled, want a title shot but he doesn't deserve it.

And yet he is still his father's boy.

What will happen to him, and who will he be fighting?

to me, he's on the decline and he's in denial about it. he won't ever be the middleweight champion again. if he does want to become a champion once more, he needs to lose muscle-mass and see if he can become the welterweight champion.

Jacare lost to both the champ and the top contender within his last five fights. I like the guy and am pulling for him, but he does not deserve the next shot.

The problem at MW is that the number one contender would obviously be Mousasi and he's, ahem, unavailable.

He lost a close fight to Yoel. Oh, and he finished Mousasi...

to me, he's on the decline and he's in denial about it. he won't ever be the middleweight champion again. if he does want to become a champion once more, he needs to lose muscle-mass and see if he can become the welterweight champion.

Weidman could never make 170 he is 6'2 and already 33 years old, at that age and his frame period, he could move up as he would only be outsized by the likes of Gus, LHW is weak at the moment anyway and there are even some he would outsize, i dont see him winning the MW Belt but maybe the LHW if new prospects dont come along, DC retires and many are up in age like Manuwa.

Aside from USADA speculation, age and injuries catch up to you fast in this sport. It's a race against time to acquire the skills and experience necessary to compete at an elite level while young and healthy enough to perform optimally.

You see it a lot in the fighters that aren't consistent. Sometimes they make it through a camp without their mobility-limiting injury(s) flaring up too much and they are able to move and perform well come fight night. Other times, they look slow, gun shy, out of shape, and so on.

Whittaker v Romero, Weidman v Jacare, Luke v Gastelum.

whoever wins in most dramatic fashion gets the next title shot.

that gives Branch & others 9 months to figure out who gets to try to break into the top 6 club.

Weidman could never make 170 he is 6'2 and already 33 years old, at that age and his frame period, he could move up as he would only be outsized by the likes of Gus, LHW is weak at the moment anyway and there are even some he would outsize, i dont see him winning the MW Belt but maybe the LHW if new prospects dont come along, DC retires and many are up in age like Manuwa.

i think he gets killed at light-heavyweight. but who knows.

Him faking an injury in an effort to get a DQ win against Mousasi is what did it for me.
I really think that incident was overblown. Big Tan stopped the action but if he hadn't Chris would have had the chance to keep fighting and Moose would have had the chance to get a "Clean" win. These rules from state to state with minor changes are BS. The UFC should set the rules their fights are contested by and if a state won't sanction then they don't get UFC events. They bring a lot of economic impact to states/cities. I think the Doctor asked him questions and he answered them. But he never indicated he didn't want to keep fighting. They told him he had 5 min to recover, then told him it was legal. They asked him can you continue and he said yes. The whole thing was a fuster cluck and that isn't Chris or Moose's fault. And Chris wasn't faking anything he was fucked up pretty good from that knee but there was never any indication that Moose would be DQ'd and certainly not to Chris.

Could you imagine the carnage once Jon got on top of him?
7jUxSM4.gif
gVdXGhH.gif
6h1gsl.jpg

7LxyeF8.gif

chris-weidman-ufc-1941.jpg
A real brutal and dangerous beating for him... Not even funny.

I really think that incident was overblown. Big Tan stopped the action but if he hadn't Chris would have had the chance to keep fighting and Moose would have had the chance to get a "Clean" win. These rules from state to state with minor changes are BS. The UFC should set the rules their fights are contested by and if a state won't sanction then they don't get UFC events. They bring a lot of economic impact to states/cities. I think the Doctor asked him questions and he answered them. But he never indicated he didn't want to keep fighting. They told him he had 5 min to recover, then told him it was legal. They asked him can you continue and he said yes. The whole thing was a fuster cluck and that isn't Chris or Moose's fault. And Chris wasn't faking anything he was fucked up pretty good from that knee but there was never any indication that Moose would be DQ'd and certainly not to Chris.
agreed. i also think Romero v Kennedy was overblown. but people have made up their minds.

Weidman could never make 170 he is 6'2 and already 33 years old, at that age and his frame period, he could move up as he would only be outsized by the likes of Gus, LHW is weak at the moment anyway and there are even some he would outsize, i dont see him winning the MW Belt but maybe the LHW if new prospects dont come along, DC retires and many are up in a
i think he gets killed at light-heavyweight. but who knows.

Could be im just saying he cant make 170. I dont feel like he is done, im not saying its a good chance but i still believe Chris isnt done, he got finished 3 in a row but 1.was in the fourth round after throwing a spinning kick, 2.That Knee can kill anyone and 3.Was bullshit decision but he deserved it playing hurt. Hell who knows he might do better without cutting the weight he seems like a natural 205er, and his chin is still there.

agreed. i also think Romero v Kennedy was overblown. but people have made up their minds.
I totally hated that Yoel did that and staying on the stool helped him get that win however I later found out that it was a neutral cutman that put all that vaseline on him not his own corner. Big John let the delay go on to Kennedy's detriment which is funny because he wanted that vaseline cleared so Yoel didn't get an advantage.

Not sure why the commissions have people in the ring to make sure the corner gets out but they don't have a towel in their hands to wipe off excess whatever to keep it fair. The ref asks someone to find a towel or scissors for tape etc. Can't the commission have someone with a Safety Kit so to speak on hand at a moments notice?

He lost a close fight to Yoel. Oh, and he finished Mousasi...

His finish of Mousasi was impressive and was four years ago. I can see giving Jacare a title shot as some sort of distinguished career award, but he's lost his past two title contender eliminators plain and simple.

Weidman's win over Gastelum helped him, but he needs to string together a few more to even be in the conversation after losing three straight. Rockhold just got KOed twice, and Romero missed weight in his only fight post losing to Whittaker.

As much as I don't like giving it to a guy who missed weight, Romero probably makes the most sense at present, with Weidman and Jacare fighting for next in line. But yeah, losing Mousasi has hurt a division that needs a semblance of order badly after the Bisping era.

if i remember right, the doctor asked him what day it was. i think he either said a different day than what it was, or he said that he didn't know. if you say that to the doctor, how can you expect the doctor to give the okay to continue to fight? weidman milked it, just like lots of other fighters do, but then you also take the known risk of having the doctor call the fight off. weidman took the chance, and it backfired. it was completely weidman's fault. mousasi's take on the situation in the post-fight press conference was 100% on the money.

Not sure why the commissions have people in the ring to make sure the corner gets out but they don't have a towel in their hands to wipe off excess whatever to keep it fair. The ref asks someone to find a towel or scissors for tape etc. Can't the commission have someone with a Safety Kit so to speak on hand at a moments notice?

At the risk of sounding libertarian (nttawwt), these are the same people who run the DMV.

if he beats jacare does he get the title shot with only being 2-3. I feel like if jacare wins he gets the title shot but if whineman wins he should have to fight luke again in a battle of the saltiness for the title of non saltiest fighter ever, loser makes an excuse giving them the saltiest title of course
He'd have to follow Luke Rocksalt to 205 to make that happen

Back