Cup vs groin protector for a boxing match

Buster61

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Sorry if this is an easy question

In a boxing match do you wear a cup and a strap under your trunk or do you wear a groin protector that i assume provides more protection. Is that different than what they wear in sparring videos over their shorts that looks like it also protects their kidneys a little. If you are allowed to wear both which do you prefer, thank you.

Basic groin and lower ab protector.
titleboxing_2267_738145539

Just got a new cup, and I was wondering if this variant is the type you wear under or over your shorts?

more specifically, I got these ones:
$T2eC16R,!w0E9szNYg-FBRcETcwDqg~~60_12.JPG

it seems a bit bigger than usual for me, I dont think any tailor will want to adjust it lol

I'm pretty sure you can use all listed below for boxing competition(amateur-pros). Pros tend to use the full no foul protectors. It all boils down to preference.

I have a full size no foul protector and downgrading to a lighter, no hip protector version(3rd pic). It should be arriving this evening.

Full size no foul protectors cover the kidneys, liver, groin, abdomen and hips. At the cost of increased weight and mobility.
titleboxing_2267_696275300

Then you have your full size with no hip protector.
protector_cph100.jpg

title-boxing-deluxe-groin-protector-plus-4.gif

Basic groin and lower ab protector.
titleboxing_2267_738145539

Cup and strap.
titleboxing_2267_48293232

I rock the "Basic cup and lower groin" seen above.

I started with a more traditional, full no-foul guard. I found it to be terribly bulky and slowed me down considerably. Other members of the gym swear by them though.

You really need to give a couple of different models a spin in order to see what works best for you.

Some of the big boys at my place like the full guards. It allows them to dig in and work inside without taking as much of a beating. Me on the other hand, have always been a tall lanky/rangy fighter. I'd like the smaller guard because it allowed me to move a lot more.

Here's a side by side of the no foul and the ab & groin protector. The big one is in the middle of a makeover.

Hi, Sorry if this is an easy question

In a boxing match do you wear a cup and a strap under your trunk or do you wear a groin protector that i assume provides more protection. Is that different than what they wear in sparring videos over their shorts that looks like it also protects their kidneys a little. If you are allowed to wear both which do you prefer, thank you.
This is never an easy question because everyone seems to have a different experience in this area. I am an advocate of a tight fitting jock holding an adequately roomy tuck under cup. The main reason for wearing protection in this area is the nuts. This bigger, bulkier equipment just seems to end up shifting around and nailing me in the nuts. You could wear one of those protectors over the cup, but I feel confident when my nuts are protected.

How did you like the new one?

I thank everyone for their answers.

I haven't sparred with it yet.

Pros: comfortable, light weight(13oz.)
Cons: Could use more padding around the rim of the cup, cheap fake leather($20.00 you get what you pay for)

You should consider the newly patented design called Lo-Bloo Groin System. It's only made in Sweden of the highest grade materials and available from Competitive ACE. Unlike other modern Groin systems, it is not dependent on a specific under-garment / compression short so the user can change and train multiple times without having to re-use the same short. It is designed to stay in place, contoured against the groin area and not transfer impact nor shift during motion. Unlike traditional Thai Cup systems, it is made of easy to rinse or wash materials and it does not have a rope going through the back. Considered very comfortable.

lobo.gif

Back