CTE Found In 99% Of Former NFL Players Brains

Then I guess ALL former rugby players have em now.

Rugby players have no protective gear, but they tackle differently than football players.
High speed collision tackles are relatively rare in Rugby, but a regular occurance in American Football.

Of course, Rugby is still a very high risk sport regarding CTE, just like Boxing,MMA.

Football is going to go the same way as boxing. Only kids living in poverty willing to risk their future health in order to have a small chance at becoming a millionaire are going to play/participate.
I feel like it already is there.

Thing about this study is that they weren't randomly selected brains that were tested, they were brains already suspected of suffering from CTE

It's the equivalent of doing a brain test to determine homosexuality and I give you the brains of:

@Palis
@Breakitdown
@Corona
@The One True
@Frank23

Then all 5 brains come back gay af, I then make the conclusion that 100% of Sports Bar posters are homos

lol'ing hard @ a brain test determining sexual orientation. being gay is a CHOICE

A CHOICE True has made many, many times in his life. Countless times.

Thing about this study is that they weren't randomly selected brains that were tested, they were brains already suspected of suffering from CTE

It's the equivalent of doing a brain test to determine homosexuality and I give you the brains of:

@Palis
@Breakitdown
@Corona
@The One True
@Frank23

Then all 5 brains come back gay af, I then make the conclusion that 100% of Sports Bar posters are homos
<SelenaWow>

bork1}bork1}bork1}

Football is going to go the same way as boxing. Only kids living in poverty willing to risk their future health in order to have a small chance at becoming a millionaire are going to play/participate.

That's what these two former NFL'ers are saying. You're risking your state of mind to get a shot at a better life for you and yours.

If I had the ability back when I was a young'un, I KNOW I would've gone for that deal.

No way, it's boxers and football players have to be far, far ahead of everyone else in this category.

I've been saying for a while that football will eventually become somewhat like a team version of boxing. Wildly popular as a spectator sport, but played mostly by lower-income kids whose parents aren't as aware of the risks involved.

I believe that is already happening. If you look at D1A, and D1AA or even D2, it seems to be mostly lower income kids. More and more rich kids are playing soccer and lacrosse.

I believe that is already happening. If you look at D1A, and D1AA or even D2, it seems to be mostly lower income kids. More and more rich kids are playing soccer and lacrosse.
Come on, it has nothing to do with lower income kids wanting to play football because they're poor. This is one of the dumbest things I've read on Sherdog in some time.

I feel like it already is there.

Probably is. I played high school ball in Northern California in the late 90s and it was a pretty good mixture of classes and races on the team. That was a long time ago though.

We might be seeing the very beginnings of it but it won't really be noticeable until at least another decade or so, I think.

Gotta remember, up until about 5-6 years ago, CTE in football wasn't even close to being on the radar of the mainstream. You only hear parents say they won't let their kids play football in the last couple of years.

So if those kids are anywhere from 2-8 years old now, you gotta wait a good 10 years to notice their absence in college football.

@Palis
@Breakitdown
@Corona
@The One True
@Frank23

Don't associate us with that robot frank.

It definitely needs to be investigated to get a better sample size.

There are 32 teams with 53 players so about 1700 players each year. Assume each team has 53 different players in 10 years so 3400 players every 10 years. if the average age of the brains tested is 50, there would have been about 30 years of players or 4100 people who played in the NFL. Many more who played in college and many many more who played in high school. 111 is a small but sgnificant sample size if they had been selected at random. Only those who showed symptoms were tested. Without knowing how many people in the general population have CTE and without testing more players, it will be difficult to say it they have a higher rate.

If they can prove that NFL players have a higher rate, then they have to determine why. Is it the head trauma or is there something else that players do?

Could it be steroids causing the problems? Are there other things they used?

Certainly stopping hits to the head is justified. Maybe sensors in the helmets to track head trauma.

The football helmet is thankfully continually being improved. Old helmets and rules must have contributed to these numbers.

The football helmet is thankfully continually being improved. Old helmets and rules must have contributed to these numbers.

They just revealed the prototype for the new helmet last week. Press conference below:

I wonder if the old soft leather helmets did a better job and made players avoid head blows rather than the hard helmets that are used as a weapon.

I wonder if the old soft leather helmets did a better job and made players avoid head blows rather than the hard helmets that are used as a weapon.

I heard (I can't remember where from) that it wasn't uncommon for players to die on the field during those days.

I may be wrong though.

I heard (I can't remember where from) that it wasn't uncommon for players to die on the field during those days.

I may be wrong though.

But was it because there was more damage or because the medical standards have improved since then? I'm sure they didn't have the same medical standards with doctors always being in attendance and removing a palyer from the game when hurt. I don#t knwo it just aguess but a lot mroe has changed other than the helmets I'm sure.

Also more acute injuries don't always mean more brain damage overall. Even if it is the helmets makign the difference and not the other avdancements meaning that the impact was worse maybe the were still fewer impacts and since palyers didn't collide head first.

Again I don'tg know these things but just saying more people died (if they did, not saying you are lying just wanting sources) is not a proof in favour of helmets.

It definitely needs to be investigated to get a better sample size.

There are 32 teams with 53 players so about 1700 players each year. Assume each team has 53 different players in 10 years so 3400 players every 10 years. if the average age of the brains tested is 50, there would have been about 30 years of players or 4100 people who played in the NFL. Many more who played in college and many many more who played in high school. 111 is a small but sgnificant sample size if they had been selected at random. Only those who showed symptoms were tested. Without knowing how many people in the general population have CTE and without testing more players, it will be difficult to say it they have a higher rate.

If they can prove that NFL players have a higher rate, then they have to determine why. Is it the head trauma or is there something else that players do?

Could it be steroids causing the problems? Are there other things they used?

Certainly stopping hits to the head is justified. Maybe sensors in the helmets to track head trauma.

You obviously have to check for other things because anything else isn't scientific and the NFL isn't wrong per se if they say we don't KNOW what the cause is. But it's not an unlikely assumption that football/colliding with your head might the the biggest reason.

I read the thing about some suspecting steroids for beign responsible as well. has there been any proof so far that steroids leave permanent brain damage? Or even that they icnrease the likelyhood of brain damage if you receive trauma while taking them? Is there some explanationa s to why that could be (if it is indeed true)?
Intuitively you would thi nk it's the other way around sicne steroids strengthen your neck muscles and make you bigger. I assume it would have to be a direct affect of steroids on the brain? It would be interesting in general steroids aid your recovery but does it have a positive or negative impact on recovery from brain injuries?

It's interesting and surely needs more research

Back