(CTE) Do You Guys Ever Worry About The Future Regarding...

digitalman45

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
...Your Favorite Fighters Health? I guess I'm sort of scared of the day where most if not all the fighters we loved watching perform and that inspired us have some sort of mental health repercussions from fighting.

I was watching the Gary Goodridge interview video in the other thread about cte in fighters and it made me very sad, but in a bittersweet way because Gary seems at peace with it and he knows it was worth it for the glory. I fear not all fighters will take it as well as he seems to be. I know it will be really hard when it becomes obvious in one of my favorite fighters.

This is all easy to avoid if you just watch the fights and don't get involved in the mma community beyond that, but I'm invested deeply with watching interviews and following most of the ufc fighters social media, as well as invested on a local level and knowing some personally.

Anyone else feel this way and have worries? Please inb4 "you're following the wrong sport if that worries you, ect" Part of what makes mma great is getting invested in the fighters and caring about their health to a certain degree.

DC, for sure.

Dude has a granite chin, but has taken some HUGE shots from Juicehead Jones, Rumble & Gus.

Now he's fighting Stipe.

To some degree I suppose. Organizations should do more to protect fighters, and also fighters need to know when to call it quits.

I'm not "worried" about him but Gaethje is on his way to wearing a helmet and bib for the rest of his life.

Are they worried about me waking up every morning and going to work?

I'm not "worried" about him but Gaethje is on his way to wearing a helmet and bib for the rest of his life.
uhpgo3u.jpg

...Your Favorite Fighters Health? I guess I'm sort of scared of the day where most if not all the fighters we loved watching perform and that inspired us have some sort of mental health repercussions from fighting.

I was watching the Gary Goodridge interview video in the other thread about cte in fighters and it made me very sad, but in a bittersweet way because Gary seems at peace with it and he knows it was worth it for the glory. I fear not all fighters will take it as well as he seems to be. I know it will be really hard when it becomes obvious in one of my favorite fighters.

This is all easy to avoid if you just watch the fights and don't get involved in the mma community beyond that, but I'm invested deeply with watching interviews and following most of the ufc fighters social media, as well as invested on a local level and knowing some personally.

Anyone else feel this way and have worries? Please inb4 "you're following the wrong sport if that worries you, ect" Part of what makes mma great is getting invested in the fighters and caring about their health to a certain degree.
I was a boxing fan before MMA and seeing some of my favourite fighters with health issues or sounding punch drunk is very depressing. I would have similar feelings for MMA fighters so yes I do have worries about this.

Nah. We got professionals like Mario Yamisaki to prevent this so it's all good.

DC, for sure.

Dude has a granite chin, but has taken some HUGE shots from Juicehead Jones, Rumble & Gus.

Now he's fighting Stipe.

DC is such a good guy with a strong personality that it would show through really bad if develops signs of it. Thats the sort of stuf that's hard to think about.

Gaethje seems to embrace it. I feel like he will be like Goodridge in that it brings him peace to know that it was worth it for the glory.

Honestly mma fighters don't get enough air time to become that invested. But even if they did I have people within my own family that I don't care about, fighters are well below that.

Yes, I want Thiago Alves, Deigo Sanchez and Rashad Evans to all retire. You wouldn't notice much of a difference from Sanchez these days but I still want to see these guys at least appear to be normal.
tenor.gif
chuck-liddell-reaction-o.gif

Unrelated but saw this and wanted to share:
24x0wtv.gif

Fan fuct about this guy (UncleSamPatriot aka Pekka Luodeslampi) is that even though he seems mentally challenged due to Tourette's, he has completely average IQ. He has been active in finnish image boards for a long time and is quite a character. His most popular Youtube video also has 5.5 million views.

Yes, I want Thiago Alves, Deigo Sanchez and Rashad Evans to all retire. You wouldn't notice much of a difference from Sanchez these days but I still want to see these guys at least appear to be normal.
tenor.gif
chuck-liddell-reaction-o.gif

Unrelated but saw this and wanted to share:
24x0wtv.gif
I think Diego’s plan is to get so fucked up he becomes normal.

An overlooked fact is that CTE is progressive, which means it will take away everything you are over years, and then kill you. Most of these guys will develop some form of it, just a question if they die from something else first.

In a weird way as a fan it actually adds dramatic weight to every fight that there is this huge price to pay at the end of a career.

Back