CSAC New Weight Cutting Rules

BCNASH

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
http://m.sherdog.com/news/news/CSAC...nificant-New-WeightCutting-Regulations-121497

What are everybody's thoughts on this. As a fighter, I start my camp at 175 and cut to 155, usually only cutting 8 lbs of water weight. The day of the fight I am usually back up to between 163-170, and the new rules say you cannot weigh more than 170.5 the day of or you have to go up to the next weight class. I had considered going down to 145 but I would have to stay under 159.5 the day of the fight, which wouldn't happen. I am really interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Could be tough on the lower weight classes, some fighters have the big weight cut down to an art.

I'm in favor of all of those new regulations. Weight cutting can be detrimental to the fighter and to the fight (could cause cancellation) the fact that they added more weight classes potentialy allows to mitigate the restrictions on the fighters by giving them new options-- the new financial penalties and forced placement into the next class should really force fighters to reevaluate their approach

I think extreme weight cutting has always been ridiculous so anything that can limit it is good. People will always find a way to game the system but it's a step in the right direction.

Unless it is unified across all jurisdictions its not going to work for the big promotions.

http://m.sherdog.com/news/news/CSAC...nificant-New-WeightCutting-Regulations-121497

What are everybody's thoughts on this. As a fighter, I start my camp at 175 and cut to 155, usually only cutting 8 lbs of water weight. The day of the fight I am usually back up to between 163-170, and the new rules say you cannot weigh more than 170.5 the day of or you have to go up to the next weight class. I had considered going down to 145 but I would have to stay under 159.5 the day of the fight, which wouldn't happen. I am really interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

which is exactly why they're implementing these rules. so you don't have to fight a 183lb lightweight (and a FW doesn't have to fight a 166lb you.)

i think it's great. OneFC implemented slightly different rules over a year ago, to great success. albeit, they don't have to contend with AC's and can just do it themselves (which is funny; if UFC did this no one would complain about "business overreach", but since in this one particular business (well, 2, MMA and boxing) has a government oversight due to boxing's shenanigans 100 years ago, if they do it people will complain about "government overreach").

so i think a) it's a great idea/concept, b) it's going to have very public short term problems upon implementation, and c) i seriously wonder if AC's should be in this business in the first place. but since they are, i'm glad they did it.

lastly, you should listen to Chael's podcast. it's less than 10 minutes. he discusses how the NCAA enacted similar rules in 1998 after 3 wrestlers died, and that it's easier to complain when AC's act proactively (before someone dies), but isn't that really what we'd prefer? it's an intellectual paradox....

and after you listen to it and read these posts, if you really are a fighter, i'd appreciate your thoughts on it. either in this thread or a PM. cheers.

Fucking stupid and just makes things harder on the fighters.

Things have been working great up to this point. You will still have people miss weight and cancel fights and anything that people are whining about now will happen under those rules as well.

Which UFC fighter are you pretending to be?

I am not pretending to be anybody. I am an amateur fighter who obviously needs to be on top of the rules so I can stay compliant.

Last edited:
which is exactly why they're implementing these rules. so you don't have to fight a 183lb lightweight (and a FW doesn't have to fight a 166lb you.)

i think it's great. OneFC implemented slightly different rules over a year ago, to great success. albeit, they don't have to contend with AC's and can just do it themselves (which is funny; if UFC did this no one would complain about "business overreach", but since in this one particular business (well, 2, MMA and boxing) has a government oversight due to boxing's shenanigans 100 years ago, if they do it people will complain about "government overreach").

so i think a) it's a great idea/concept, b) it's going to have very public short term problems upon implementation, and c) i seriously wonder if AC's should be in this business in the first place. but since they are, i'm glad they did it.

lastly, you should listen to Chael's podcast. it's less than 10 minutes. he discusses how the NCAA enacted similar rules in 1998 after 3 wrestlers died, and that it's easier to complain when AC's act proactively (before someone dies), but isn't that really what we'd prefer? it's an intellectual paradox....

and after you listen to it and read these posts, if you really are a fighter, i'd appreciate your thoughts on it. either in this thread or a PM. cheers.

I will give it a listen while i am driving around today. I am torn here becaus I can see both sides. I can understand responsible fighters being annoyed, such as those who responsibly diet down throughout a camp to cut less than ten lbs the week of the fight (for perspective, my last cut to 155 I woke up the day of the fight on weight afterward waterloading the week of the fight and taking an epsom salt bath the night before). I can also see how guys like Hendricks and Gastelum and Lineaker have caused the commissions to consider actions such as this.

Something else to consider is that depending on when the day of weigh ins occur, fighters may still manipulate their weight up to that point to stay compliant and then still put another 10 lbs or so between then and the fight. Disregard everything I said in this paragraph if they weigh the fighters an hour or less before the event starts, but I didnt see anything specific about the timeframe the day of weigh in takes place.

I will give it a listen while i am driving around today. I am torn here becaus I can see both sides. I can understand responsible fighters being annoyed, such as those who responsibly diet down throughout a camp to cut less than ten lbs the week of the fight (for perspective, my last cut to 155 I woke up the day of the fight on weight afterward waterloading the week of the fight and taking an epsom salt bath the night before). I can also see how guys like Hendricks and Gastelum and Lineaker have caused the commissions to consider actions such as this.

Something else to consider is that depending on when the day of weigh ins occur, fighters may still manipulate their weight up to that point to stay compliant and then still put another 10 lbs or so between then and the fight. Disregard everything I said in this paragraph if they weigh the fighters an hour or less before the event starts, but I didnt see anything specific about the timeframe the day of weigh in takes place.

EDIT: listened to what Chael had to say and I can see it from the commission's point of view a little better but it seems like the rules are still very convoluted and will have a huge impact on fights for a while before everyone really gets a handle on the several new weight classes and the fighters understand what weight class they should compete in

The fighters who are good at weight cutting will feel shafted, but as a viewer I'll still get the same quality fights and matchups with reduced weight cutting, and your kidneys will be thanking the CSAC in 30 years.

Back