Cruz vs Beto Debate Thread live 7pm E.T.

What a load of BS, Democratic senators disagree in voting all the time, Republicans on the other hand are quick to bring out the torches and RINO labels everytime one misses the lockstep.

It's just another hoax perpetrated by the GOP on idiot voters once the party realized that fear mongering about guns suddenly had traction when a black guy was in office and they could say he was a gun-grabbing atheist communist Muslim Hitler and God-fearing folks needed to defend themselves from the imminent takeover.

No meaningful legislation was passed in the area of firearms in the past three Democratic administrations. And, of the five modern laws that revised gun rights, three were passed under Republican administrations (Reagan/GHW) and two were passed in Clinton's first term. And IIRC only one of those bills (the Assault Weapons Ban) didn't have receive a majority of Republican votes.

Cruz ate this liberal piece of shit alive. Beto is a fucking hack

Cruz doesn't eat pieces of shit, you dummy.

He eats boogers.
ImaginaryPrestigiousGrackle-small.gif

It's just another hoax perpetrated by the GOP on idiot voters once the party realized that fear mongering about guns suddenly had traction when a black guy was in office and they could say he was a gun-grabbing atheist communist Muslim Hitler and God-fearing folks needed to defend themselves from the imminent takeover.

No meaningful legislation was passed in the area of firearms in the past three Democratic administrations. And, of the five modern laws that revised gun rights, three were passed under Republican administrations (Reagan/GHW) and two were passed in Clinton's first term. And IIRC only one of those bills (the Assault Weapons Ban) didn't have receive a majority of Republican votes.

The one major issue I have with Beto is he wants to port the no fly list into a no gun list. That idea and its progeny are horrible ideas. There can be reasoned debate on all the other gun control issues he believes in. There is no merit whatsoever in letting the government put you a list without notice to you and then you having to spend years fighting to get off it to exercise a constitutional right.

Last edited:
The one major issue I have with Beto is he once to port the no fly list into a no gun list. That idea and its progeny are horrible ideas. There can be reaonsed debate on all the other gun control issues he believes in. There is no merit whatsoever into letting the government put you a list without notice to you and then you having to spend years fighting to get off it to exercise a constitutional right.

I agree with you on this position, even though there is definitively some merit: the merit being expediency in times of crisis.

The Democrats picked a terrible, terrible hill to die on with the no-fly list when it comes to firearm regulation.

Regardless, though, my preferring Cruz's position in this 1 instance of a thousand will not do much to my preference between the two.

So who won?

Kinda went as expected.

Cruz delivered several underhanded compliments and was more confrontational. You can tell he's more seasoned.

Beto is more mild mannered and respectful. Both got their arguments across.

You'll think that whoever you like best won. Neither got the ko

I didn’t see this debate (was busy searching obscure wrestlers on Wwe network) but had a serious realization dawn on me thinking about it:

What in the blue hell are debates supposed to prove? I mean, when you think about it, is being witty and quick with a comeback in the top... I don’t know... 100 skills a person needs to be a good president/ Senator, whatever?

It’s entertainment, pure and simple.

What they should be doing is writing abstracts on their platform agenda and policy positions, and voters should be deciding based on that.

But, lol, no. This is America! We’re going to vote based on a battle rap!

Last edited:
Rafael is already panic wrestling in state, they've been jumping all over themselves to try and paint Beto as out of touch with Texas. Dude legit tried to insinuate that Beto would try and ban BBQ.

{<jordan}
I don’t think you know what the word legit means

The fact that he has outraised Cruz without taking PAC money is a pretty good talking point. I'm not watching, but it should be brought up, considering Cruz has spent decades cultivating lucrative donor ties by passing indefensible pro-corporate policies and shilling for corporate interests.

Cruz's shameless stances on climate change and net neutrality in the past should have gained him a lifetime unlimited cash flow from fossil fuel and telecom.

He's from El Paso...

Probably half of his House constituents have family and friends who are undocumented.

I mean, no one was really unsure what your appraisal would be.

Truthfully, I've been stunned by how unimpressive Cruz has been in debates during his career. He had a legitimate claim to being the best debater in the country at one time, but he's been routinely made to look foolish, incoherent, contradictory, and insincere by his Republican colleagues and by Bernie Sanders. I guess competitive debate and policy debate just don't translate as well as one would guess.
Beto is supposedly racking in cash fro California

I didn’t see this debate (was busy searching obscure wrestlers on Wwe network) but had a serious realization dawn on me thinking about it:

What in the blue hell are debates supposed to prove? I mean, when you think about it, is being witty and quick with a comeback in the top... I don’t know... 100 skills a person needs to be a good president/ Senator, whatever?

It’s entertainment, pure and simple.

What they should be doing is writing abstracts on their platform agenda and policy positions, and voters should be deciding based on that.

But, lol, no. This is America! We’re going to vote based on a battle rap!

I've actually thought before about how much more helpful (for me) debates would be if they were reduced to text exchanges like on a message board, where points can be retained and referenced, sources can be cited or debunked, and slip arounds would be more blatant.

But then I remembered what its like here. Even in a battle between someone like Quipling vs. someone like Palis, the members of the tribe will side with their guy no matter how outmatched his points, policies, and abilities. The right-most 40% or so of the forum/electorate is completely unresponsive to reason.

For Democrats this the perfect situation if Beto wins they can celebrate a game changing situation , or if he loses they can say deep red area an still made it interesting. In their book it's a win win.

For Democrats this the perfect situation if Beto wins they can celebrate a game changing situation , or if he loses they can say deep red area an still made it interesting. In their book it's a win win.

Well yeah. It's already been better for the dems than normal.

Cruz is so smarmy. Wouldn't be surprised to see him lose.

O'Rourke bringing up his "white privilege" and trotting out misleading stats about police violence against blacks would have been disqualifying for me if I were a Texan.

When Cruz tries to show emotion (as when mentioning his dead sister) he comes across as phonier than Hillary Clinton.

Cruz crushed O'Rourke on health care.

Ted Cruz is just such a douche
I mean dooooooouche
He'd make anybody going up against him look like the nicer guy regardless of what they are actually like. He's a goddamn political Luke Rockhold.
God, I bet his family boos when he walks in the room

Back