Cruz: DC set a trap to KO Stipe

How did Werdum "try everything" in just 2 and a half minutes of the first round? He panicked alright. He was hurt and out of desperation went for the kill when he should have slow played it. Try going to round 2 maybe? He went all in way too quickly. Werdum has been patient before. Like against Travis Browne. Against Stipe he didn't allow himself to find his range. He was way to aggressive. If they ever fight again, you're going to see a different approach by Werdum.
i dont really disagree with this. im just saying the reasons for them stupidly rushing at their opponents was different.

werdum came into the fight somewhat calmly and got everything he tried in that short time shut down. instead of trying to regroup, he head hunted and looked for a KO.

stipe on the other hand didnt have to be coerced into rushing, he just started the fight that way. he gave cormier everything he wanted from the opening bell. very stupid. lol

Cormier beat Josh Barnett, Roy Nelson, Anthony Johnson 2X.. that’s not “lesser competition”
No respect at all for winning the Strikeforce HW tournament, while still a neophyte in MMA, against top competition at the time. Sounds like "lesser competition" to me. lol

"No respect at all, I tell ya"
giphy.gif

No respect at all for winning the Strikeforce HW tournament, while still a neophyte in MMA, against top competition at the time. Sounds like "lesser competition" to me. lol

giphy.gif
the only person who even had a possible claim at a top 5 ranking during that tourny was bigfoot silva and its very debatable.

none of those guys were on stipe's level.

Stipe was throwing fast balls and coming forward with zero respect for getting hit. Obviously a serious mistake.

DC had far superior fight IQ. I agree with many others that the eye poke had an effect on the outcome (it always does) and frankly I think DC did it on purpose, because its a free way to get an advantage. Jones, Gus and DC know exactly what they are doing when they rake someones eyes.

Until the rules change, lots of guys will do it. Zero risk, all reward.

Last edited:
That fight was about to get real ugly for Stipe. Better to get slept in the first round, and collect a paycheck.

giphy.gif
These still guys whining about eyepokes werent even watching Strikeforce

Cormier was something like 10-0 at heavyweight..Stipe wasn’t gonna be the guy to beat him anyways

IF Stipe would of used the dc EYEPOKE First he absolutely would of WON...

nuff said.

Yes DC is undefeated at hw 90% Fair fights . HE CHEATED TO BE STIPE.

El Domin8or is easily the best MMA analyst in the game lads! Dude is sharp.

DC allowed Stipe to win the first wrestling exchange, where Stipe got too comfortable in the close range/clinch ties. He employed a strategy in the second Rumble fight after he nearly got knocked out from Rumbles opening blitz.

images

I believe the first wrestling exchange changed everything. Stipe lost respect for DCs striking and grappling. He neglects using his jab and constantly plods into DC with power punches.

DC is obviously on another level in the clinch, and Stipe is TOO easy to hit.( he gets hurt or dropped in nearly every fight).

ANYONE who thought Stipes mediocre wrestling creds stood a chance against a REAL wrestler had a huge wake up call. I’ve always said Cain would flatten Stipe for this same reason.

screen-shot-2018-07-08-at-1-03-24-am.png

just quoting to comment on the final pic. cormier, arms raised, the ref cradling stipe's unconscious head. its all there lol

He Left Out the Strategy of incorporating the EYEPOKE ala Struve. ADD THAT AND YOU HAVE THE WHOLE PICTURE. IF Stipe was a ScumBag HE would of eyepoked the shit out of DC early on and set the stage for His EYEPOKING to KO.
He attempted to gouge out DC's right eye with his left hand/thumb.

Umm no.. it had a very thorough wrestling exchange right from the BEGINNING. They tie against the cage, DC gives up the underhook, Stipe gets the body lock and takes down DC who pops right back up.

From that moment on Stipe neglects his distance management, jab, and plods into DC with telegraphed, power punches in nearly every exchange. Also tries to bully DC in the clinch on the way out of those exchanges. He got lured into a false sense of security with his mediocre wrestling creds lol.

How does a guy with THIS kind of reach advantage...

10797539_web1_MMA-UFC226_070718ev_055.jpg

Get popped like this?
LDN-L-UFC226-53-0708.jpg

The answer? Having no respect for DCs short range game.

PS Collar Ties ARE wrestling 101 ya goof.

daniel-cormier--ko-miocic.gif

a guy with that kind of reach advantage gets caught because heavyweight is the worst division in MMA with the majority of top 10s still remaining from over 10 years ago
giphy.gif

He attempted to gouge out DC's right eye with his left hand/thumb.

nope..

I watched 2x. when?

Knowing its NOT PUNISHED> Stipe could of done the dc jjones technique of extending his Longer Reach with fingers outstretched towards DC's face. HE DIDN"T. He would not of been punished IF he had EYEGOUGED DC a couple times via jabs.. He certainly hit DC. imo EYEPOKES WOULD OF BEEN A LOT MORE EFFECTIVE. But ...Stipe is not a Cheat....Darn. Now personally IF someone kicked me in the nuts PAYBACK, eyepoke PAYBACK... I got pushed into sparring at an old age by my coach. 6 months of bag work ,conditioning drills. I told him I am too old to fight and do NOT want ot get hit. My eyes are my job( window cleaner) I also warned him I AM NOT TAKING AN AZZ WHUPPING COACH AND I WILL TAKE HIM DOWN AND BJJ HIS AZZ. Coach laughed. Shit got heavy , I got Pissed. I took my opponent down (yes with headgear and 16oz gloves)and rear naked choked his big muscled up azz til he tapped. Coach was pissy about this and said you can't do that to me. Short story? 1 minute later >> armbar of coach After stepping on his foot and ankle picking him on his azz. STIPE's team should of known this shit was gonna happen and Knowing Eyepokes are NOT punished Should of GamePlanned eyepokes Until the KO of DC......... Oh and because of the Brawl at the gym I had to get laser surgery on my eye AGAIN. I should of broke his fukn arm and choked the others azz unconcious IN HIND SIGHT. but they tapped. .. STIPE IS A MORE HONORABLE MAN THAN I.

Stipe has a weak chin for a hw his days are numbered at the top for sure not because of his skill set but because he gets dropped in every fight now, Slurs his words, not good
Guy gets hit on the button by a 245 lb beast and gets KO'd, and that means he has a weak chin?

Hand fighting with DC was so dumb. I have no clue what he was thinking. If he used his footwork to fight at his range, he could have jabbed DC into a nap. Instead, he handfights with DC and gets caught.

It was a beautiful trap to set up "the punch you don't see" .... Y'all should know the rest.

Back