Cruz Combat Custom MMA Short Fight Shorts w/pics

Airdyne23

The Violent Art
@purple
Reaction score
This is a review for my custom fight shorts made by Cruz Combat. They are “cropped” fight shorts, so if your looking for short MMA shorts, look no further!

For those that don’t know, Cruz Combat is Guy Mezgers company that have been producing custom fight shorts and rashguards for a while now, and are starting to appear at MMA events across the globe, including the UFC.

They can pretty much make you fight shorts to any specs you want, and you have full control over the colour scheme, the length, the design pattern, the type of waist (elastic or fixed etc) and of course putting your name or team name on them.

They have custom fight shorts starting at $59.

Short fight shorts are one of their specialties, which is cool because shorter fight shorts are becoming very popular now.

Their website is here (link is to the custom section):Cruz Combat

Or their Facebook page: Cruz Combat Facebook

I was pretty much looking for a pair of short MMA shorts like a lot of people are now, and found these guys through a friend.

I dealt with Ryan Knecht who looked after me from start to finish. He’s a super cool guy to work with, and always very prompt with his replies.

I picked a basic colour scheme (blue fade) and then specified the length and waist type I wanted (elastic fit). Then I emailed him the logos I wanted put on the shorts and specified where, and told him I wanted my name on the legs of the shorts.

Ryan then emailed me back a copy of the template and asked for my feedback, and I gave him the green light to make the shorts.

The template looks a little like this (this template wasnt for my shorts, just an example) and you can re-arrange the logos whichever way you choose to:

6980_10152153342843241_165795272_n.png

He gave me regular updates on my order which took about 2 weeks to complete and then another week or so to ship to Australia. I ordered in advance so I had plenty of time to make any changes needed, but they also have a “rush” order option now in case you’ve left things to the last minute.

Overall, I couldn’t be happier with the customer service from Ryan at Cruz Combat, and I’ll be ordering some custom vale tudo shorts and a custom rashguard in the near future.

As for the shorts, well this pair are now nearly 2 years old and still in great shape. I use them for training every single week and they are perfect. Incredibly light, comfortable and obviously durable. The colours and logos haven’t faded a bit in 2 years, and other than a couple of loose threads they are in the same condition they were when I purchased them.

They are so much more comfortable than any other shorts I’ve used, they dry quickly after washing, they don’t shrink and they are perfect for any type of training or competition.

This pair has a semi-elastic waistband with a drawstring, a gusseted crotch for mobility in grappling and kicking and a built in mouthpiece holder. I cant remember exactly what length I specified but basically I took my current shorts at the time, measured their length and subtracted about 5-6 inches in length and asked for that.

In summary, these are my favourite shorts ever, and for $99 (though they start at $59) I think they are the most comfortable, light and durable shorts you can get anywhere, plus you can totally customize them to whatever you want and have a truly unique pair of shorts that no one else has.

Hope you enjoyed the review! Feel free to ask me any questions.

Last edited:
Some shots of the semi-elastic waist, velcro fly and drawstring:

These look extremely comfortable! $99 per pair? It sounds like a lot of money, though.

They are the "Event" shorts which is why they are $99, because of the extra time it takes to put the logos on the shorts.

The base model shorts start at $59 if you dont want to add your own logos and you can still customize the colours etc.

The Vale Tudo customs are about $69.

Plus these are incredibly light considering the durability. They are lighter than thai shorts and stronger than any other MMA short on the market.

Last edited:
I guess I have to adjust my mindset a bit. I have always seen shorts as something that lasts a little while and need to be part of a large rotation, so as not to use the same everyday. Because of that I have not invested much in one single pair (maybe that's exactly why they don't last long).
Sorry for the digression...I really like the reviewed shorts and I have been looking for that cut for a while. Might bite the bullet myself :)

I guess I have to adjust my mindset a bit. I have always seen shorts as something that lasts a little while and need to be part of a large rotation, so as not to use the same everyday. Because of that I have not invested much in one single pair (maybe that's exactly why they don't last long).
Sorry for the digression...I really like the reviewed shorts and I have been looking for that cut for a while. Might bite the bullet myself :)

Yeah I see where your coming from Gus, thats how I used to do it too.

Problem is, in MMA it's not uncommon to do multiple types of training back to back, such as standup training before grappling practice.

So I noticed that:

- Thai trunks are nice and light, but not great for grappling because they ride up too much in guard
- Boxing trunks are great for boxing, but not so great for grappling (too slippery from the satin surface and they ride up too) and can be hard to kick in
- Long MMA shorts are pretty good, but they can be too long to kick properly in as well
- Vale Tudo trunks are awesome for everything, but unless your wearing them around MMA guys they look a bit weird in a boxing class with more "traditional" students (aka homophobes lol)

So what I needed was a pair of MMA shorts that were strong enough to hold up to grappling and MMA training, with enough mobility for kicking and short enough to be ok for all areas of training while still having that "boardshort" look.

These fit the bill perfectly. Hope this explanation helps.

Update: Cruz Combat has custom mesh fight shorts starting from $59.

Cool shorts and nice review. I was unaware of the brand, but I think they are worth the price considering the customization and made in the US. I only do Muay Thai, so i'm a dedicated Thai shorts wearer. But I do have a pair of combat sports mma shorts for general working out, and maybe once they wear out, I'll pick up some Cruz Combat shorts for that.

Thanks again for the review.

No problem mate! Thanks for you post!

And you make a good point, they are made in the USA which is another reason to support them. Custom fights shorts for $59 made in the USA is a great price.

Also, the photos really dont do them justice, they are beautiful shorts to see in real life.

Yeah I see where your coming from Gus, thats how I used to do it too.

Problem is, in MMA it's not uncommon to do multiple types of training back to back, such as standup training before grappling practice.

So I noticed that:

- Thai trunks are nice and light, but not great for grappling because they ride up too much in guard
- Boxing trunks are great for boxing, but not so great for grappling (too slippery from the satin surface and they ride up too) and can be hard to kick in
- Long MMA shorts are pretty good, but they can be too long to kick properly in as well
- Vale Tudo trunks are awesome for everything, but unless your wearing them around MMA guys they look a bit weird in a boxing class with more "traditional" students (aka homophobes lol)

So what I needed was a pair of MMA shorts that were strong enough to hold up to grappling and MMA training, with enough mobility for kicking and short enough to be ok for all areas of training while still having that "boardshort" look.

These fit the bill perfectly. Hope this explanation helps.

Awesome explanation and review. I'll look at these when I start looking for shorts.

how customizable are the cusrom shorts? can I put any design that I want? like if I wanted to make a pair of ravishing rick rude-esque vale tudo shorts, would I be able to do that?

how customizable are the cusrom shorts? can I put any design that I want? like if I wanted to make a pair of ravishing rick rude-esque vale tudo shorts, would I be able to do that?

I can't see why not. Vale Tudo shorts are probably easier material for artwork (like rashguards).

Cruz Combat did this rashguard for Meerkatsu, and that guy has some very detailed graphics!

x+SEY_2429.jpg

small+SEY_2430.jpg

Back