Crows are ruthless killers!

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
Long story - cliffs : crows just wiped out blackbird offsprings in front of me.

I was drinking some darjeeling on my balcony on this fine morning when something caught my attention in the cherry tree right in front of it.

Some blackbirds were going apeshit (for those of you who have frequented the volatiles, you know the annoying, loud, one note non-stop chirping that they do around nesting season) in the cherry tree in front of me.

Nothing out of the ordinary I think, until between the branches I notice this huge crow, which is slowly maneuvering around the branches of the tree, going towards the middle. It's quite unusual for crows to go in that tree, as they are simply too bulky.

At that moment I realise that the crow's purpose is actually to get closer to a baby blackbird which is just chilling on a branch.

Now that's the fucked up part. The crow is getting closer to the baby blackbird, the parent blackbirds are going nuts, but the baby blackbird is just waiting there, obviously not realising what is going to happen.

Being quite inexperienced with birds, I was also wondering what was going to happen. I mean I knew that the crow was going to attack that poor clueless baby blackbird, so a part of me wanted to scare the crow away, another part of me doesn't feel like interfering with nature, or so were my thoughts, when suddenly.....

......it happened in a second. The crow jumped on the baby blackbird, took it off its branche, managed to land on another branche, where, to my horror, it proceeded to gut it with its beak, while pinning it down with one of its claws.

It was pretty fucked up, the way the crow just wrecked the living shit out of that baby bird, stabbing it with its beak with the parents hyperventilating 1 meter away. After like 30 seconds of destruction, the crow just flies off with the baby blackbird.

So after a little moment processing all that I go back to my darjeeling, thinking that nature is fucked up.

10 minutes later the black birds go batshit again as another crow has landed in the tree. I couldn't see very well but what I saw was a comparable scene. A crow, (a smaller one I think) was killing the shit out of a bird, then flies off.

30 minutes after, same commotion, on the sidewalk right under the tree. I didn't see the attack but I saw a crow (same one ? Another one ?) just massacre another baby bird. For some reason it stayed there longer than the 2 previous times, where it gutted the bird and ripped it open. At some point it flew off with the bird in its beak, leaving a bunch of feathers, some guts and bones behind.

At some points the neighbour from the balcony above peeks around, tells me that the baby blackbirds flew off. The blackbird nest was on her balcony. 5 babies. I inform her that 3 were just killed under my eyes.

Right now, far away behind some trees, I can hear a blackbird going batshit. Perhaps one of the remaining babies is getting dismantled by the crow.

Nature is fucked up...

Native Americans state that crows serve as the eyes of the devil

Birds are absolutely ruthless when dealing with anything other than their own species. They have the empathy of snakes.

I love crows tbh. Crows n ravens. We all cool.

Sometimes I wonder if crows are what humans would be like if we got reincarnated as birds.

Id scare it away. This "interfering with nature" stuff is meant for sh+t like not feeding wild animals or disturbing their lifecycle or whatever for fear of damage on a greater scale,their patterns,ecosystem. Not scaring some POS crow from killing babies and giving them at least a chance. Those f+ckers can find something else to eat.

ufc_141_poster_teaser_by_aronian-d498pfs.jpg

Id scare it away. This "interfering with nature" stuff is meant for sh+t like not feeding wild animals or disturbing their lifecycle or whatever for fear of damage on a greater scale,their patterns,ecosystem. Not scaring some POS crow from killing babies and giving them at least a chance. Those f+ckers can find something else to eat.

Yeah I was ambivalent I admit.

But I genuinely didn't know that the crow would brutally kill it like it did.

I thought it would harass it, maybe poke it, but I didn't know that crows were outright predators like that.

Thing is, the baby blackbird was already kind of big.

I have kestrels and hawks that live outside of my house. Bring it, crows.

<NightKingBringIt>

They're smart, too. They recognize faces and are good problem solvers. I hate their fucking guts, though, as there's a tree by my balcony that a bunch of crows always hang out at, so I'm regularly woken up at 5am by 20 crows going batshit crazy about nothing outside of my bedroom window.

Most species have a vicious side like that, including humans. Nature can be a mean bitch.

I have kestrels and hawks that live outside of my house. Bring it, crows.

<NightKingBringIt>

I saw a documentary about the Kremlin where they had crows problems.

They brought a guy with a falcon on his arm to deal with that.

I was amazed at how easily the falcon dealt with the crows. Went through them like butter.

Falcons must be some pretty strong creatures PFP.

Back