Crossfit for BJJ

Crossfit, not even once

clueless-gym-crossfit.gif

The programming seems reasonable enough in the video, but a few things again that just sticks out in a negative way, which is typical Crossfit:

Telling someone to necessarily do highbar squats
Telling someone to necessarily go ATG
Rationale behind 5x5, which is a fine rep scheme but the loading is not explained at all (says work up to a heavy last set so I'm guessing pyramid?)
This AMRAP obsession, also negative points for using the word "metcon"
12-20 minutes as a magical middle ground for both aerobic and anerobic conditioning at the same time (which doesn't make sense at all without considering the intensity and exercise selection)
AND boxjumps for time which is a thing about Crossfit that really gets my goat.

Killing your self 3 times a week with "AMRAPs" besides maybe doing conditioning and then BJJ several times a week might be a tad much. Anyway, nitpicking a little bit here, but you could do the entire thing without the stupid.

I do a simular S&C program twice a week. Warmup, a few activation and mobility drills, strength session with one upper and one lower body compound lift (following a %1RM loading scheme), a few circuit exercises relevant to the sport, or otherwise good for injury prevention, and then some stretching and breathing.

Additional days are light LISS training and perhaps some short track and field and jump/plyo drills.

Isn't BJJ super safe compare to cross fit?

All contact sports have higher injury than all weightlifting sports full stop.

Your body colliding with someone else's body in unexpected ways tends to break shit. Moving things that only move the way you make them move is less dangerous, even taking fatigue into account

The programming seems reasonable enough in the video, but a few things again that just sticks out in a negative way, which is typical Crossfit:

Telling someone to necessarily do highbar squats
Telling someone to necessarily go ATG
Rationale behind 5x5, which is a fine rep scheme but the loading is not explained at all (says work up to a heavy last set so I'm guessing pyramid?)
This AMRAP obsession, also negative points for using the word "metcon"
12-20 minutes as a magical middle ground for both aerobic and anerobic conditioning at the same time (which doesn't make sense at all without considering the intensity and exercise selection)
AND boxjumps for time which is a thing about Crossfit that really gets my goat.

Killing your self 3 times a week with "AMRAPs" besides maybe doing conditioning and then BJJ several times a week might be a tad much. Anyway, nitpicking a little bit here, but you could do the entire thing without the stupid.

I do a simular S&C program twice a week. Warmup, a few activation and mobility drills, strength session with one upper and one lower body compound lift (following a %1RM loading scheme), a few circuit exercises relevant to the sport, or otherwise good for injury prevention, and then some stretching and breathing.

Additional days are light LISS training and perhaps some short track and field and jump/plyo drills.

The big advantage of the circuit is that it's easy to quantify progress and you're going to get blood into muscles you might not work as much doing traditional endurance exercise.

The big disadvantage is you fuck around a lot switching exercises and you can't target stuff as precisely as you can with pacing or power meters.

If it was me the conditioning work would mostly be rower, and any time there was a circuit it would have a bunch of mobility work in disguise (the disguise is that you're doing it fast)

The big advantage of the circuit is that it's easy to quantify progress and you're going to get blood into muscles you might not work as much doing traditional endurance exercise.

The big disadvantage is you fuck around a lot switching exercises and you can't target stuff as precisely as you can with pacing or power meters.

If it was me the conditioning work would mostly be rower, and any time there was a circuit it would have a bunch of mobility work in disguise (the disguise is that you're doing it fast)
It's a pros and cons thing with the circuit training I feel. Personally I don't do them for time or anything, I take all the time I want. The thing about exercise selection and switching around can go both ways I feel. I mean, it makes it fun not being completely locked down (as with the compounds) and having freedom to do what you feel like. Afterall, having fun with your training goes a long way. At the same time, if you keep a few select exercises rotating then you can get something more specific out of it.

Good idea with the mobility drills incorperated. I like having purpose too for the circuits. Whether that be mobility, stability, injury prevention, sports transferability or whichever.

Rowing is very good too, I understand why you'd suggest it. Especially for grappling. Full body, rowing component, muscular endurance, pacing/power strategies, easy to track, good for VO2 max. Still, I think there's other condition options that's equally as good for different reasons.

It's a pros and cons thing with the circuit training I feel. Personally I don't do them for time or anything, I take all the time I want. The thing about exercise selection and switching around can go both ways I feel. I mean, it makes it fun not being completely locked down (as with the compounds) and having freedom to do what you feel like. Afterall, having fun with your training goes a long way. At the same time, if you keep a few select exercises rotating then you can get something more specific out of it.

Good idea with the mobility drills incorperated. I like having purpose too for the circuits. Whether that be mobility, stability, injury prevention, sports transferability or whichever.

Rowing is very good too, I understand why you'd suggest it. Especially for grappling. Full body, rowing component, muscular endurance, pacing/power strategies, easy to track, good for VO2 max. Still, I think there's other condition options that's equally as good for different reasons.

Oh the rowing thing is because it aids me in being lazy for programming.

"Do intervals of blah length and do blah wattage. Use x rest interval and end the session when you can't do that wattage anymore. Now leave me the fuck alone"

Oh the rowing thing is because it aids me in being lazy for programming.

"Do intervals of blah length and do blah wattage. Use x rest interval and end the session when you can't do that wattage anymore. Now leave me the fuck alone"
Haha, makes sense!

Back