Crossed Feet Armbar.

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
How do you finish these. (Leg position) The kind in mma like how Mighty Mouse finishes his and Anthony Pettis used against Benson.

I’ve never learned the proper technique to finish these but what I found is that when I have an armbar from top that it is extemely easy for them to rock me to my back and stack me.
What i discovered works for me is flairing my knees out to put extra pressure on the head and torso. Almost like the opposite of pinching my thighs together like how you are taught to finish a traditional uncrossed arm bar. It has been working great but I would love to learn the correct way to execute these semi-controversial armbars

flairing my knees... these semi-controversial armbars

They're only controversial for people who don't understand armbars. Flaring the knees is perfectly valid as long as you're aware of the tradeoffs. Attacking from the top I generally prefer to flare since, as you point out, you have much more control over a bridging opponent. You do need to make sure that you use your arms and core to keep your hips very tight to the shoulder. I also like to cross my feet over their far shoulder to compress their chest and bring the far elbow to me.

Watch Roger. He flares his knees on probably half of his armbars.

I always cross my feet. Always. Reason being, I'm engaging my hamstrings to pull my heels in and lock down the shoulder girdle. I rarely lose them, it's a strong finish.

How do you finish these. (Leg position) The kind in mma like how Mighty Mouse finishes his and Anthony Pettis used against Benson.

I’ve never learned the proper technique to finish these but what I found is that when I have an armbar from top that it is extemely easy for them to rock me to my back and stack me.
What i discovered works for me is flairing my knees out to put extra pressure on the head and torso. Almost like the opposite of pinching my thighs together like how you are taught to finish a traditional uncrossed arm bar. It has been working great but I would love to learn the correct way to execute these semi-controversial armbars
I naturally cross my feet when doing arm bars. I've been told not to but I think I have better control when i do. I've seen videos about it and it's fine to do it if you pinch your knees together. I think the issue with crossed feet is people don't always squeeze their knees when they do an arm bar.

If I'm finishing from the top I nearly always cross my feet, because I cross them under the far tricep/armpit to trap that arm and make escaping or coming on top much more difficult. The exception tends to be if I'm finishing dynamically, such as from a spinning armbar.

From the bottom I don't usually care about controlling the far armpit and don't cross my feet. If they stack I usually roll under. I will flare the top knee sometimes to push their face away and relieve stack pressure.

depends from bottom guard i prefer to pinch knees and curl there head to kill the stack posture cross armlock ill cross till i have them secured when i cross ankles i feel i have the arm good but i cant control posture very well when i pinch the knees together and curl them in they cant posture it feels tighter but i feel if they are explosively trying to escape its hard to hold them so i prefer to ross angles at first as long as they arnnt stacking me

Back