Cross-Promotional Titles

MadDogMahoney

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So, in football, once a year we have the UEFA Champions League. Basically all the best clubs across Europe play each other in a tournament to see which team is the best.

I was wondering if you would be interested in seeing something similar for MMA.

Let's assume in the near future that all organizations adopt the same rules and regulations. Then you could have either organizations or perhaps even separate camps send representatives for each weight class. Each weight class has a tournament, the winner gets a belt, and the process is repeated once a year or whatever.

So as an example for LW, UFC sends their best available fighter, Bellator, KSW, M-1 Global, One and whoever else do the same. They can even have reserve representatives.

Obviously the fine details are up for debate and discussion.

What do you think of this?

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:
In our case UFC basically is the Champions league of MMA.

Last edited:
In our case UFC basically is Champions league of MMA.

To some extent I would agree, UFC usually tries to bring in the best talent. People are always wondering about how other people would go, though. And this would allow them to fight each other without changing promotions. Of course to do this there would have to be some overseeing authority, but I think it would be cool.

Football is a real sport. Not some spectacle where you can pick and choose your opponents based on revenue generated.

Football is a real sport. Not some spectacle where you can pick and choose your opponents based on revenue generated.

Good point. But imagine if there was something like FIFA trying to minimize the shenanigans going on?

The only fights I really give a shit about between organisations are:

- Rory vs Woodley II
- Vitaly Minakov vs Stipe Miocic
- Askren vs Wonderboy

In our case UFC basically is the Champions league of MMA.
In most divisions, the UFC has 7-9 of the top 10 fighters in the world. But welterweight is a glaring exception, GSP is not active, Askren is a free agent, Rory Mac, Douglas Lima, and Andrey Koreshkov are under contract with Bellator. All of those 5 guys are top 10 welterweights.

OP - It would be awesome, but the UFC would never agree to it.

Speaking of association football, the disparity between the top several clubs in La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, and Ligue 1, and the rest of the clubs in those leagues is ridiculous. Has there been any serious discussion about turning the UEFA Champions League into an actual league (with the best 20 clubs in Europe playing each other twice a year in a season-long format) instead of just a cup?

In most divisions, the UFC has 7-9 of the top 10 fighters in the world. But welterweight is a glaring exception, GSP is not active, Askren is a free agent, Rory Mac, Douglas Lima, and Andrey Koreshkov are under contract with Bellator. All of those 5 guys are top 10 welterweights.

Speaking of association football, the disparity between the top several clubs in La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, and Ligue 1, and the rest of the clubs in those leagues is ridiculous. Has there been any serious discussion about turning the UEFA Champions League into an actual league (with the best 20 clubs in Europe playing each other twice a year in a season-long format) instead of just a cup?

Not sure what you are trying to say with the last part about the UCL becoming an actual league. With regards to the major leagues, I think they are as competitive as possible. The lower ranked teams get demoted to the lower division and the top ranked teams go to the Champions League the next year.

Edit: I agree with the disparity, but I don't think that in itself is a problem (except maybe Ligue 1). It would be like saying Tony Ferguson would probably beat most unranked LWs, but could get caught with something on any given day.

There were some talks about top clubs from each league to create their own competition cause right now they have to share their TV money with some scrubs.

I've been thinking about the fact that the best in Bellator are better than the worst in UFC, how does that work, i mean i know each promotion can hire whoever they want, but what actually makes UFC better than Bellator talent wise then? Rory is possibly the best WW in the world, and he's in Bellator.

I've been thinking about the fact that the best in Bellator are better than the worst in UFC, how does that work, i mean i know each promotion can hire whoever they want, but what actually makes UFC better than Bellator talent wise then? Rory is possibly the best WW in the world, and he's in Bellator.

More overall money I guess? Not sure exactly what you're trying to say...

Edit: I'm pretty sure if you matched up the champs from each division, UFC would have the edge.

I want a Dragonball Z tournament in real life. Is that too much to ask?
Not in the least. I'd also like to see sport combinations, like full contact basketball, dodgeball with bowling balls, tag team mma. Tour de France-biathlon.

european football confuses the absolute shit out of me. but i liked that theme song "the CHAMPIONS... the CHAMPIONS..."

Back