CROSS CHECK COUNTERS

Sweep the leg!

There was another sweep attempt against the knee shield about 20 seconds before that, but sweeping Saenchai is kinda hard.

Thoughts. I like the first technique where you simply grab the guy and tip him right over, but I'm not too sure about the step-over techniques. Unless the opponent gets sloppy and leaves his foot dangling it's gonna be hard to step over his leg without first pushing his foot down with your hand. It can work well if you get the entry but getting the step-over isn't going to be easy if the other guy knows what he's doing.

I think a good idea would be chaining the grab & tip technique with leg sweeps. If you can simply tip him over on the first try, great, but if it fails you still have his leg and you can try to sweep out his support leg from both directions until he goes down. This one came off a caught kick but the concept is similar, Nong-O tries to sweep Pinca to his back and when that fails he immediately sweeps him the other way and dumps him on his face.

Sweep the leg!

There was another sweep attempt against the knee shield about 20 seconds before that, but sweeping Saenchai is kinda hard.

Thoughts. I like the first technique where you simply grab the guy and tip him right over, but I'm not too sure about the step-over techniques. Unless the opponent gets sloppy and leaves his foot dangling it's gonna be hard to step over his leg without first pushing his foot down with your hand. It can work well if you get the entry but getting the step-over isn't going to be easy if the other guy knows what he's doing.

I think a good idea would be chaining the grab & tip technique with leg sweeps. If you can simply tip him over on the first try, great, but if it fails you still have his leg and you can try to sweep out his support leg from both directions until he goes down. This one came off a caught kick but the concept is similar, Nong-O tries to sweep Pinca to his back and when that fails he immediately sweeps him the other way and dumps him on his face.

stepping over works, i have had it done to me during a fight, i didnt put it in the clip though cause i didnt want to put myself getting swept on my ass, it should be me doing it lol. You may not get the sweep, but its at least a way to break the position, and by breaking the position, that can be as little as him giving up the cross block once you have stepped over, he may decide to abandon the block or stick to it, where you can go for the trip or at least off balance. Either way a change in position has been created. But yeah anything can/cant work at any given time. The first video you posted, he didnt quite have the leg all the way sideways, if it was all the way sideways, he couldnt throw a kick like that, but since it was more in a vertical/diagonal position, seanchais left leg was not "locked". using a more vertical/diagonal position can be used too, but its much more effective horizontal, I tried to point it out in the video by mentioning to not "half ass" it. if you watch closely you will see in some of the clips i have a harder time getting it horizontal, and knees etc slip through while its in more of a diagonal position.

I agree that reaching and tossing is "better" because like you said you will have the leg so if it doesnt quite work out, you still have his leg and have many other options of things to do. I failed to mention in the video, but as with most sweeping techniques, its always good to take a few steps to off balance the guy as well before throwing the sweep. The toss I showed in the video has been done to me as well, during sparring, it works great IF you can get their head down and body off balance, you can flip them like a coin. however if you cant get them off balance, and they keep that leg strong, it can be difficult to overpower their leg with your arm. This is where a few steps to off balance come in handy. good finds in those clips.

oh yeah, forgot to say , your exactly right, (i been calling it cross block, but I think knee shield is more appropriate.) if someone catches your kick, it can be used as well.

Last edited:
Back