Crocodiles found in Florida

What? Now I've lost the ability to distinguish the two. I always thought alligators = North America and crocodiles = everywhere else.

Fuck me.
Alligators are indigenous to the US and China. Everywhere else just has crocodiles. But crocodiles are also indigenous to the US.

Florida is next to Africa so I'm not surprised if African killer bees and Nile crocs are flying/swimming over.

nile crocs?
thanks, but no thanks.

giphy.gif

So older story, but this one blows my mind. Apparently every now and then, crocodiles are being caught in Florida. Not pussy American crocodiles. I'm talking about Nile crocs.

These motherfuckers.

nile-croco_624.jpg

Nile-crocodile-1.jpg

Yeah those things. So I guess private keepers have either released them on purpose or they escaped, but the fact remains that they are in our waters at this very minute. If we caught a few, how many more haven't we caught? Between these things and Burmese pythons, Florida is in the middle of a takeover.

@Zookeeper Gabe

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...sive-invasive-species-found-florida/84643472/

Cool! But the home team is nothing to scoff at either.
More-Florida-Alligator-Craziness-A-Huge-Alligator-Eating-Another-Alligator-featured.jpg

23324734_BG1.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly the invasive species that causes the most damage in Fl are the wild hogs. By far the worst, Nile crocs have been found, multiple species of caiman have been found. Some have been released intentionally and others by natural disasters (Andrew was responsible for the majority of burms in FL).

Also fuck monkeys

Florida is bad ass.
images-57.jpg
100 pound snapper
d3b879e1c0b7767357cfa7586bfb31c4--field-notes-alligators.jpg
200 pound gar
downloadfile-2.jpg
135 pound monster tarpon.

Wikipedia? Come on man!

This species is among the largest of the world's crocodiles, with Central and South American males reaching lengths of up to 20 feet. Males in the U.S. population rarely exceed 13 feet, however.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/a/american-crocodile/

The size they are talking about in Wikipedia are the specimens in Central America, not America.
Lol I figured there was more to the story. I wonder if that's due to the environment though and if the North American crocs have the potential to get to that size under the right circumstances. Mind blowing either way.

eb52dfd2c35b8d5e308a5454ffbb31a2--monitor-lizard-reptile.jpg

Hear they also got these guys in Florida... as a reptile fan this has always been neat to me even if destructive.

Honestly the invasive species that causes the most damage in Fl are the wild hogs. By far the worst, Nile crocs have been found, multiple species of caiman have been found. Some have been released intentionally and others by natural disasters (Andrew was responsible for the majority of burms in FL).

Also fuck monkeys

So odd that NA was never populated by primates.

It's time to bring in the hippos to fight against the crocs

It has been reported that there is a croc around where I live in Florida. Haven't seen it, and believe it has been't seen in awhile but it's likely still around.

Aren't they in Columbia, bro lol
He never got to finish his master plan, the American government interfered like they always do. They're on their way still, but hIppos are notoriously bad with maps and their feet are too fat to use GPS.

He never got to finish his master plan, the American government interfered like they always do. They're on their way still, but hIppos are notoriously bad with maps and their feet are too fat to use GPS.
<DCrying>

Back