Critique my Muay Thai padwork (video)

Paradigm

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
First time I've ever posted a padwork video. Not exactly too much footage but I'll record another one soon enough. Would love some feedback here...coming back from months of layoff and going to be 40 soon, so it's not exactly my best work. I'm also never really comfortable when my instructor holds kicks for me...always feels too high and the pads too vertical but he's Thai and a former fighter so what am I supposed to tell him?

Enough excuses haha...here it is (yes, it's not recorded in landscape):

@Frode Falch @ARIZE @ssullivan80 @a guy @shincheckin @Lucas Coradini

not bad, what gym do you train at?

Right now, nowhere but I've trained under all the Thais in LA over the years except Nokweed and Kronphet (when he was out here).

Any specific advice or feedback? I know was being lazy with bringing my leg back to stance after some of the knees.

Right now, nowhere but I've trained under all the Thais in LA over the years except Nokweed and Kronphet (when he was out here).

Any specific advice or feedback? I know was being lazy with bringing my leg back to stance after some of the knees.

what gym was this at? Reason I am asking is that if its in my area I would like to check it out. What is your coaches name?

I dont know how long you have been training, I really dont see anything "wrong" in your technique. Sure things could be better, crisper, cleaner, faster, etc but as you stated your out of shape, just returning, etc. That being said, the only recommendation i can give you is to just keep training, and surely you will improve.

And when I say be better, cleaner, cripser, faster, I am not saying you arent fast or clean. Myself for example, every single one of my techniques could be cleaner crisper faster, its a never ending process and you can always improve anything. I would say I have vastly improved my jab in the last 6 months. Now I have been training a long time, and the jab is a basic punch.

To get your techniques crisper, just keep practicing them. Its all about "time in the saddle"

your right foot is coming off the ground on your switch kick when you pivot, try to keep it ground and rotate, rather than jumping to get the rotation.

It may sound like a lot of negatives from me, but it's because a think you can deal with those details...

-You drop the opposite hand when kicking. You quickly put it back so you are at least conscious where it should be.
-Not enough rotation when elbow, and you open it a little to early, to wide...
-I was taught to load the jab, to make it more powerful since a light tap wont score.
-Same when using the front hand hook.
-A bit too flat footed when you teep (but some schools teach it that way) and i think it need some work in general... Not your best technique it seems to me. I don't feel the power in it, you don't thrust your hips but i don't think it will be too hard for you since you have a good knee.
-You have good control when returning your leg from a roundhouse with your right but a little slow. And i would prefer in a half-check manner witch you do some times but not always.
With your left one, it seems more lazy when returning, not in full control.
-When you kick with your left, you some time hop, it's not necessarily wrong, but if you're not aware of it, you may get off balance without expecting it.
-Lots of mistakes may be just caused from fatigue.
-3 punch combos...you reach the limit on what is pure muay thai... If you add another punch I would have to call you a Kick-Boxer and a traitor like AndyMaBobs...

I really hope i don't sound like an ass, and may be wrong on some stuff, but since you post it for some feedback, those are my negative points...
It's obvious that you have experience, good power, good fundamentals and like shincheckin said you need to just train more to polish your technique.

what gym was this at? Reason I am asking is that if its in my area I would like to check it out. What is your coaches name?

I dont know how long you have been training, I really dont see anything "wrong" in your technique. Sure things could be better, crisper, cleaner, faster, etc but as you stated your out of shape, just returning, etc. That being said, the only recommendation i can give you is to just keep training, and surely you will improve.

And when I say be better, cleaner, cripser, faster, I am not saying you arent fast or clean. Myself for example, every single one of my techniques could be cleaner crisper faster, its a never ending process and you can always improve anything. I would say I have vastly improved my jab in the last 6 months. Now I have been training a long time, and the jab is a basic punch.

To get your techniques crisper, just keep practicing them. Its all about "time in the saddle"

your right foot is coming off the ground on your switch kick when you pivot, try to keep it ground and rotate, rather than jumping to get the rotation.

Yeah...I know what you mean about constantly improving techniques. Been training off and on since 2010...just need to get back in the habit of being consistent. Ironically, I've been training more inconsistently since going to Thailand than before but that's due to work and some injuries. Yeah...that hop has been there on that switch but my left is my stronger kick for whatever reason. Not really a good showing overall on this vid but I'll throw up another one this weekend hopefully.

This was at World Muay Thai in Santa Clarita...the padholder was my instructor (Pongsan Ekyotin). I actually left my old gym to go to this gym a few years back to train with Lerdsila (Mr. Lightning) while he was still there. He's since moved back to Thailand and is part of PTT now but is coming back to the US to headline the next Lion Fight 36 card at the end of this month. Dude was a 3 division Raja champ and came up with Saenchai at Jocky Gym, so they have somewhat similar styles (elusive).

Lion-Fight-36-small-poster-1.jpg

Some footage I took a few years back of him sparring against Kronphet (who just fought at Lion Fight 34) to get him ready for a fight:

It may sound like a lot of negatives from me, but it's because a think you can deal with those details...

-You drop the opposite hand when kicking. You quickly put it back so you are at least conscious where it should be.
-Not enough rotation when elbow, and you open it a little to early, to wide...
-I was taught to load the jab, to make it more powerful since a light tap wont score.
-Same when using the front hand hook.
-A bit too flat footed when you teep (but some schools teach it that way) and i think it need some work in general... Not your best technique it seems to me. I don't feel the power in it, you don't thrust your hips but i don't think it will be too hard for you since you have a good knee.
-You have good control when returning your leg from a roundhouse with your right but a little slow. And i would prefer in a half-check manner witch you do some times but not always.
With your left one, it seems more lazy when returning, not in full control.
-When you kick with your left, you some time hop, it's not necessarily wrong, but if you're not aware of it, you may get off balance without expecting it.
-Lots of mistakes may be just caused from fatigue.
-3 punch combos...you reach the limit on what is pure muay thai... If you add another punch I would have to call you a Kick-Boxer and a traitor like AndyMaBobs...

I really hope i don't sound like an ass, and may be wrong on some stuff, but since you post it for some feedback, those are my negative points...
It's obvious that you have experience, good power, good fundamentals and like shincheckin said you need to just train more to polish your technique.

It's all good...hence why I asked for it.

-Dropping the hand has always been an issue...trying to learn to swing it straight out like Sam-A but it's tough. Gotta put way more reps to relearn at this point.
Sam-A-Push-Off-Back-Foot-_Jogu1dSpng.gif

-Hmm...I usually try to keep the elbows as short as possible but may have been overdoing it since someone was filming haha.
-My jab is usually stiff and I step into it but I'm never really comfortable when he's holding for me.
-I felt the hook was a little stronger after I made his adjusment...will work on that more as it's new to me. Probably can't tell in the vid but he stops to tell me to kind of corkscrew it more and use the bigger two knuckles to land, instead of my usual palm facing hook.
-My teep is actually one of my better techniques (in my head anyway, hah)...again, I'm just not comfortable the way he holds and I'm used to the padholder doing the double pad thing by the stomach (or belly pad) instead of the one pad in the air to the side. My hip thrust is usually better than that but you got me on the flat footed thing.
-Yup...always been an issue bringing my kicks back too slowly. Gotta work on that. Will focus more on checking on the return next video (and will probably overdo it now hah).
-The hop was what I mentioned in that other guy's thread. It's ingrained into that kick now and I'm not sure if that's what makes that switch kick stronger than the rear one or just lazy hip opening on the right kick.
-That was the only round of pads I did that day and I was dead after...my own bad for inactivity. He always kicks my ass anyways, even when I'm in decent shape. I'll throw up some vids with a different padholder eventually at a slower pace to actually show technique.
-I thought Andy was all about the MT. Sad.

The feedback was definitely appreciated. Looking forward to getting back into shape and throwing up better technique in future vids.

That is a strange looking way to hold the pads for the kicks....

I also feel my left switch kick is powerful than the right rear kick. I think it isnt the hop, but a combination of the following - your lead hip have a shorter path to pass through the target
- the stretch reflex in the hip flexors seem stronger.

I may very well be tripping hahaah nice techniques, bro. Your chin seemed high at moments, but its probably because you were tired

Why does he tell you to turn your head when elbowing? He says more power? It did look like it made you follow through with the elbow more though

That is a strange looking way to hold the pads for the kicks....

I also feel my left switch kick is powerful than the right rear kick. I think it isnt the hop, but a combination of the following - your lead hip have a shorter path to pass through the target
- the stretch reflex in the hip flexors seem stronger.

I may very well be tripping hahaah nice techniques, bro. Your chin seemed high at moments, but its probably because you were tired

No...you're not tripping...the techniques were nice (kidding haha). Seriously though...I always feel he holds too high for me and I don't have the flexibility to reach like that. Maybe has something to do with his own style because I don't recall him throwing much mid kicks...usually to the legs and head. My bread and butter is the mid/body kick and I'm trying to get myself in the habit of not just targeting open spots but kicking through arms as well...like Samkor but with much less power. :(

As far as the difference in power between sides, my right kick can be as powerful but I have to hyperfocus on whipping my arm out to get the torso rotation and everything has to line up perfectly, whereas the left just comes much easier for me in terms of power. I guess I'm not the only one though. I'll throw up vids with a different pad holder to highlight kicks better...it's my favorite weapon and I don't think this vid really shows my best technique due to fatigue and the padholding style.

Why does he tell you to turn your head when elbowing? He says more power? It did look like it made you follow through with the elbow more though

I have no idea, man...I've never heard that one before and you can tell I exaggerated one of them not knowing what I was doing haha. He's in his mid 50s now and fought during the golden age of MT so maybe it's some old school thing. It did feel stronger for whatever reason...maybe it's something with the language barrier and he's trying to get me to rotate more or something.

He's the sixth Thai I've trained under here (actually trained under, not seminars) in LA...and you get different (sometimes conflicting things) from all of them. I just try to take things that I feel make sense for my style and body and incorporate what I can.

-My teep is actually one of my better techniques (in my head anyway, hah)...again, I'm just not comfortable the way he holds and I'm used to the padholder doing the double pad thing by the stomach (or belly pad) instead of the one pad in the air to the side. My hip thrust is usually better than that but you got me on the flat footed thing.

Ok, that make sense, specially since your knees are good, with the proper hip thrust, was kind of strange to me why your teep was a bit awkward.

-The hop was what I mentioned in that other guy's thread. It's ingrained into that kick now and I'm not sure if that's what makes that switch kick stronger than the rear one or just lazy hip opening on the right kick.

In my opinion it may add power, since you "jump" into the opponent. But i have the feeling you loose in power from the lack of rotation that way. When you kick with your foot planted, you rotate around that foot. Now you kinda jump into the opponent.
I am also concerned what happens if you miss? You may not be able to rotate 360, and just "land" kinda sideways in a bad position.
And lastly, it may make it harder to bring back fast your foot. That last point, i don't know how to explain it properly without visual aid... When you have your foot planted and you rotate your kick into an obstacle, you just have to rotate back your hips the way you came. It seems to me harder to do that with your hop.

Anyway, i don't thing it's necessarily bad, specially since you are aware of it.

He likes punches... There is nothing else to say...

You have good technique, and for my remarks, it's mostly details...not something to worry about, just to have in mind.

Good continuation...

few things jumping out

pivot more when you kick

dropping rear hand hard-core when throwing kicks

hands are dropping low in between attacks

crossing feet at times (front in front of back) .. damn thats horrible english

hard to tell whether the hip is really being thrown during kicks (leaving power on the table)

lean back more on the knees, will make em all the more devastating

Brah, Kru Dam's a traitor then? :p

The feedback was definitely appreciated. Looking forward to getting back into shape and throwing up better technique in future vids.

He likes punches... There is nothing else to say...

Well this is character assassination of the highest order! :p

I train under a Thai, but my coach is like "punch them in the mouth Andrew" and I'm like "yeah... I'll punch 'em in the mouth"

Teeps and knees are my favourites though <3

Brah, Kru Dam's a traitor then? :p

Well this is character assassination of the highest order! :p

I train under a Thai, but my coach is like "punch them in the mouth Andrew" and I'm like "yeah... I'll punch 'em in the mouth"

Teeps and knees are my favourites though <3
Punching master race

kicking is for bitches

lol.gif

@ARIZE @Paradigm

Mate loving the back and forth between you to, very god insight to technical fighting.

Very refreshing. Keep it up guys!!!

Looks good. Only thing I'd add that hasn't been mentioned is to sit down on the punches a little more instead of the slight leans you're doing. You can stay upright while punching if you're kicking after, but when it's time to crack with the hands lower your weight a bit.

First time I've ever posted a padwork video. Not exactly too much footage but I'll record another one soon enough. Would love some feedback here...coming back from months of layoff and going to be 40 soon, so it's not exactly my best work. I'm also never really comfortable when my instructor holds kicks for me...always feels too high and the pads too vertical but he's Thai and a former fighter so what am I supposed to tell him?

Enough excuses haha...here it is (yes, it's not recorded in landscape):

@Frode Falch @ARIZE @ssullivan80 @a guy @shincheckin @Lucas Coradini

I think you look sharp brotha. Personally, I like the way your using your elbows and I don't think adding additional rotation from the torso is necessary on those short elbows, you're staying in a better position to quickly engage in a clinch . If anything, i'd rather see you keeping your guard a bit more closed (vs opening it up) and pulling your glove back in closer to your body as the elbow comes through (which is what I believe your instructor was trying to get you to do).

On your punches: Your flaring your right elbow a bit on your cross. Your smothering it by falling into it (hence elbow flare) and not getting full extension. Try to keep that elbow in tighter to your body and your weight a bit further back on the rear foot as your turning that cross over. It's also causing you to stand up into your 3 (behind the 2) vs sitting down and pulling back into the 3 (which you do well when you throw it as a single shot).

I think your kicks and knees look good. From what I saw what's making your left kick more explosive than your right is that your doing a good job springing and pressing off the left foot and getting your hip engaged before shifting your weight onto the right hip (the swing). The difference on your right RH is your dropping your weight onto the post leg before engaging the rear hip, so the kick feels more laboring (more like your pushing it vs whipping it into the target). Try getting that rear heel up, driving the ball of your foot into the mat and springing/pressing off the rear leg (engaging the hip) earlier in the kicking motion (before the arm swing) and let the momentum carry your weight onto the post leg (your weighting the post leg before engaging your hip).

In short, your having the same issue mentioned above on your right cross as you are on the right RH..... your falling onto the lead/post leg before your hips engaged vs staying back and pressing off the rear foot and engaging the hip first. Watch your vid closely and observe the difference in how flat your right foot is as it comes off the mat vs your left (heels up, springing into the kick). This is also likely the culprit for why others have mentioned your "over swinging", by not getting that hip engaged earlier you're having to compensate by over exaggerating the "swing" in order to get the hip turned over into the kick.

Nice work!

Last edited:
Depending on how "thai" you want to be. Ill throw in a few pointers with reference videos:

1. You were flat footed, but your knee was bent when teeping. Straighten the whole back leg.
2. Your start up mechanic needs to be a bit straighter and upright on all your strikes (knees/kicks/elbows). Coming up as straight and strong on that base leg precedes the rotation. It looks like you only hop to decrease ground contact to allow a rotation. Nothing wrong with hopping in place as long as you use it to come up really strong on that leg.
3. On top of your base leg not being sturdy enough, your upper body needs to be straighter in conjunction with a need for a straighter base leg. You kind of short your elbows not having your chest out, and your shoulders hunched forward.

Yodsanklai-Fairtex-Balance.jpg

First video: Some sweet tips from the goat Samart on the teep. Also look at how straight and upright his base leg is on the knee.

Second video: Ajarn Surat of the Thai national team explaining how he likes to hop into his kicks. Hop to come up straight versus hopping to rotate faster ( what you're doing)

Third video: Golden era legend Karuhat explaining elbows. Notice his upper body posture. If your shoulders are hunched the elbow will be shorted, as well as getting the legs and hips involved in the rotation.

So to sum up, step one is building stronger legs. So coming up straight on the base leg happens instinctively and naturally through repetition. Repetition roundhouses/knees/ teeps will go a long way into ingraining the muscle memory. Then start working on follow through like the 90 degree hip turn on the round house, strong hip thrust on knees, and upright posture with leg/hip involvement on the elbow. But everything will suffer if you don't improve the come up and posture first. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back