Critique my mitt work video

Paradigm

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
As an MT guy, I've always wanted to improve my hands. Kicking will always be my first love, but throwing hands is pretty fun. Not much variety in this video, as we were just drilling off a specific combo (1, 2, hook, cross).

My own critique is that I need to keep my chin down more when throwing combos and return my hands back to a higher guard. Also, my jabs and footwork suck lol...apologies in advance for the portrait video. Lots of room for improvement, so curious to see what you all think.

If the mitt holder (Luis Moncada) looks familiar, it's probably because you've watched Breaking Bad.

tumblr_mbaaxwscqs1ra4ssmo1_1280.gif

Et tu, Brute? Wasn't expecting that from you...

My main concern is something you already pointed out, you return your hands too low after the strikes.
Also, between combos, don't drop your guard... Don't make it a habit after a combo, when you reset your stance, to be unprepared...You should be in a good defensive stance, like if it was a real fight, keep your hands high, move around with proper steps...

For more details about your striking, your "new friends" with boxing backgrounds will probably have more stuff to say...

Sigh... and another one bites the dust... so disappointed...

You pretty much hit it right on the head. Chin comes up, your head comes forward and hands drop all at the same time. That's a likely way to get countered and flattened.

You should probably try to incorperate a few drills where you have to move and then strike again, in order to practice not being so sloppy with your footwork. Stay tight and keep your stance. Rotate your feet more and turn over more on the punches as well, when it's the right time to do so. You don't have to do it on every punch, but you need to have the mechanics for it. Your right overhand/straight in close is clearly your best punch.

Don't really care for the way your pad holder does it. I mean, if it's just feel good training then it's fine, but he's throwing the straight shots for you to slip way past your head, and the hooks like 1 meter out so you're rolling practice is pretty much useless.

I would like to see you move your feet more as you strike. Both you and your padholder.

Sure, planting your feet is good sometimes. But not all the time.

Keep up the good training.

As an MT guy, I've always wanted to improve my hands. Kicking will always be my first love, but throwing hands is pretty fun. Not much variety in this video, as we were just drilling off a specific combo (1, 2, hook, cross).

My own critique is that I need to keep my chin down more when throwing combos and return my hands back to a higher guard. Also, my jabs and footwork suck lol...apologies in advance for the portrait video. Lots of room for improvement, so curious to see what you all think.

If the mitt holder (Luis Moncada) looks familiar, it's probably because you've watched Breaking Bad.

Honestly, you should throw more hands! You've got some heat on that right hand and I really like the way it builds into your combos behind your power punches, specifically when you're putting it behind your left hook. I don't think your footwork sucks, you looked well balanced in your stance and you anchor into your power punches well. Now, to be honest again..... that jab is shit! If you watch, what you're doing is coming up higher in your stance as you throw that jab, your not leaning or reaching with it, but watch your legs straighten up as you jab. It's almost as you're having to recover from throwing your jab to transition into your combos vs transitioning into your combos behind your jab (your pad holder isn't doing you any favors either the way he's holding for that jab, it's to low, to close and the angle of the pad is all wrong).

Watch and listen to the difference between your right hand behind your lead hook vs. behind your jab (specifically in the early part of the video). Your sitting down, shifting back onto your rear leg on your hook vs your standing up and straightening your legs on your jab (again watch your lead leg and notice the difference between the bend in your leg on jab vs hook). The right hand that comes behind your hook is fire (knock a motherfucker out), the one behind your jab.... more likely to do the opposite.

My advice, focus singularly on your jab and the other issues you noticed will correct themselves. Focus on throwing your jab "uphill" and sinking into it, throw it through your "eyebrows". I.E: Draw an X on the heavy bag slightly above shoulder level. Now, keeping your weight over your rear foot, think of aiming your jab with the point of your lead hip (vs glove). Imagine a pole attached to the point of your lead hip to the back of the elbow on your lead hand (forget about the hand), aiming with the hip throw it at the X on the bag, so that the hip drives up /, pushing the elbow / and the hand follows (turning it over). When the arm extends and the glove makes contact you should be able to "look through your eyebrows" (aka: chin down) and see the bottom of the thumb on your lead glove. If you can make sense of this description (sorry, much easier to demonstrate vs articulate), what should be happening is that your head actually moves back and down at your jab extends (similar to the lead hook, just more subtle as your not rotating through the target).

Last edited:
1. Your back leg is too rigid, all head movement comes from the rotation and flexion of the back leg.

2. You padman is having you do drills before you can punch correctly - in essence drilling bad technique and form in return for 'flashness'

3. Your back hand is in no mans land- its not attacking or defending - it should always be doing one or the other.

4. Your not extending or turning over your jab properly. Palm should be facing the floor and the arm straight just after impact.

5. As said earlier your feet aren't turning with your punches. Every punch apart from the jab uses body (feet)..

6. Your chin isn't that high its more the abandonment of shape that the issue when you are punching, you should aim to have one hand on your cheek bone at all times, your shoulder will provide a barrier on the punching side.

7. Your padman is aiming past you, why not aim at you? Whats the point in drilling a move if it has no function.

8. Your punching to the wrong place. Your punching in front of your lead leg- your target should be where your front foot points Ie 1 o clock.

9. Avoid rotation when you block the left hook- massively common error that leaves you vulnerable for the right hand.

10. Right uppercut after a right hand block? good luck with that one.

Good work though - I could fix you :)

Back