critique my match please

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm the white guy. be as brutal as you want.

biggest thing i felt is that i wasn't aggressive enough. it's something psychological/anxiety related that i'm not sure how to get past.

It isn't that you're not being aggressive. You aren't fighting. You're practicing moves. No doubt that is how people roll. That's how I roll. The other guy was trying to kick your ass. You were doing moves.

That's very much how I am.

You have to give yourself permission to kick ass and a part of that is having an attacking game plan you believe in. If you insist on pulling guard, you need some kick ass entries into guard from the grip fighting that make you feel like you're kicking the other guys ass when you use them.

I'm the white guy. be as brutal as you want.

biggest thing i felt is that i wasn't aggressive enough. it's something psychological/anxiety related that i'm not sure how to get past.

How many tournaments have your done?
If that's your 50th tournament you may have an issue if not you just need more time

I also wonder what your plan is. Looks like you are a guard player. What sweeps are you looking for? What submissions. I feel like you were just hanginger out being cool. You need to have some strategy. Typically when a white belt is going to compete I will drill with him. Cross choke, collar drag, take the back gi choke. Over and over like a million times. Then a pass to mount, cross choke, guy.defends, arm bar
Over and over and over. At blue belt don't get to fancy. The more you stick to a simple game the easier it will be to remember.

Good luck. Keep training.

How many tournaments have your done?
If that's your 50th tournament you may have an issue if not you just need more time

I also wonder what your plan is. Looks like you are a guard player. What sweeps are you looking for? What submissions. I feel like you were just hanginger out being cool. You need to have some strategy. Typically when a white belt is going to compete I will drill with him. Cross choke, collar drag, take the back gi choke. Over and over like a million times. Then a pass to mount, cross choke, guy.defends, arm bar
Over and over and over. At blue belt don't get to fancy. The more you stick to a simple game the easier it will be to remember.

Good luck. Keep training.

this is my 3rd or 4th tournament or so. was trying to go for an x guard sweep but couldn't get him down. i feel like if i was more aggressive with it i could've had it, i was too stationary like you said

I think you need to come up with a more reliable game plan, to have answers when your original techniques don't work. You also need to be more physical. You need to use your strength as well as technique. You need to off balance your opponent

Once he started to smash your knee shield you should have immediately shrimped hard to get it back. You just let him smash you.

Tbh watching the video i was paying more attention to the other guys gameplan; smashing the legs to leg weave, double wrist lock reversal to pin, to finish; solid strong style grappling.

Last edited:
is this mens, or like, under 16's?

First, I'd like to give you props for competing. There are so many people that are content to remain in the academy and not test their Jiu Jitsu.
Like others have said, you didn't seem to have a game plan. At Blue, you should have 3 good techniques from each position.
Game Plan:
1. Pull Guard or Takedown
a. Technique 1
b. Technique 2
c. Technique 3
2. Guard Pass or Sweep
a. Technique 1
b. Technique 2
c. Technique 3
3. Side Control - Submit or transition
a. Submission 1 or Transition 1
b. Submission 2 or Transition 2
etc.

While you were Turtled, you letting him set up the Guillotine. You have to grab an arm and sit out.
During the end, he had the Kimura but your left arm was doing nothing. It was flat on the mats. Could of reached in and grabbed your arm and pulled. Might of given you a couple of seconds to figure something out.

Like another poster stated, you looked like you were rolling at the academy. At tournaments you have to roll to win.

Just my two cents.

Back