Criticism of Jordan Peterson thread v3

Is Jordan Peterson a genius?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • I think he's a genius is in his field and in key areas but I object to views he has outside it

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I think he's a genius and right on most issues I care about and can overlook imperfections.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • He's an idiot in every area, even in psychology, and clearly was not deserving of being his position

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think he's intellectually capable and is problematic because of what he does with his capabilities

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • There are select issues I vehemently disagree on but he's of very high intellect in most arenas

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • He has no scholarly/intellectual capabilities and only appears to have any if you're jsut stupid

• He's just a man going through life the best he can, but he often has no idea what he's talking about

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • He's genuinely smart but not truly a genius

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone brought up JP claiming he defeated male pattern baldness by switching to almond milk and by cleaning his room?

Just want to throw that out there if not.

Apparently, Peterson's daughter is just as much of a charlatan and huckster as he is.

I hope that his fanboys enjoy the rotgut and diverticulitis they develop if they're stupid enough to pay for this diet plan.

Additionally, the stuff about salmon causing Peterson back pain and chicken giving him dizzy spells is hilarious.

Last edited:

Apparently, Peterson's daughter is just as much of charlatan and huckster as he is.

I hope that his fanboys enjoy the rotgut and diverticulitis they develop if they're stupid enough to pay for this diet plan.

Additionally, the stuff about salmon causing Peterson back pain and chicken giving him dizzy spells is hilarious.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/meat-only-diet-eased-autoimmune-disease-symptoms#5

It seems there is atleast some evidence that a "keto diet" might help with autoimmune diseases and relieving depression. So if that has helped them deal with it, more power to them.

Of course, there are also some drawbacks to an "all-meat diet" which may not be worth the advantages.

Anyway, I would say that it would be best for Peterson to avoid getting into conversations about diets, because those can be another religion to people. In fairness though, it seems that it is his daughter who is mostly talking about the subject.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/meat-only-diet-eased-autoimmune-disease-symptoms#5

It seems there is atleast some evidence that a "keto diet" might help with autoimmune diseases and relieving depression. So if that has helped them deal with it, more power to them.

Of course, there are also some drawbacks to an "all-meat diet" which may not be worth the advantages.

Anyway, I would say that it would be best for Peterson to avoid getting into conversations about diets, because those can be another religion to people. In fairness though, it seems that it is his daughter who is mostly talking about the subject.

He did mention it on his latest appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast. But he prefaces it with an "I'm not an expert" so don't take his word for it as expertise. Then talks about how the diet his daughter is on has helped her health and his as he adopted the plan.

He did mention it on his latest appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast. But he prefaces it with an "I'm not an expert" so don't take his word for it as expertise. Then talks about how the diet his daughter is on has helped her health and his as he adopted the plan.

Drinking apple cider caused him to not sleep for 25 days straight and feel an overwhelming sense of inpending doom??

Guy sounds like a legit loon. Up the wall crazy. Those are symptoms one would possibly get being weaned off a life threatening addiction to alcohol or heroin. Apple cider....?

If he didn't wear a suit and tie everywhere and insist on being called 'Dr' he'd sound/look more like a verbose buffoon.

Apparently, Peterson's daughter is just as much of charlatan and huckster as he is.

loooool...she's an even worse writer than her father as well:

"Obviously, there are no scientific studies on an all meat diet, not really anyway. You’re not going to be able to go to a doctor and have them tell you it’s a good idea. They’ll probably tell you you’ll die. Who knows. Everyone will judge you. Everyone judges you when you stop eating gluten or dairy, try not eating vegetables and see what kind of judgment you get.

But it’s only a month, and man is it effective. Then you can reintroduce different plants (I’d probably start with berries and greens I guess)."

How scientific.

Reminds me of "Dr" Shaun Baker or something, who was on JRE to advertise a carnivore diet, said that he'd get back pain from eating apples and Rogan gave him the best "Wtf are you talking about" look I've ever seen

I also could've taken Peterson a little more seriously if he weren't a religious nut, but he is.

Religion and science never go together, and any of his ideas should be treated with skepticism imo

I like how we have an internet moron in kong.. calling a PHD clinical psychologist with multiple books, papers, citations, research, etc...stupid.

Only on the internet.
Told you you would be banned within a month ;)

e21.jpg

I also could've taken Peterson a little more seriously if he weren't a religious nut, but he is.

Religion and science never go together, and any of his ideas should be treated with skepticism imo

I agree, and find the religious/mystical elements of his "philosophy" off-putting. His attempts to speak authoritatively on issues (like economics and the Pareto distribution) that are outside his area of expertise are similarly disappointing. But his core message about personal responsibility and his no-nonsense perspective on some PC-type issues resonate with me. He is not all bad; in fact, he can be very interesting to listen to on certain topics and is definitely an excellent speaker.

Just forget about useless labels like "incel" for a moment, and just think about it from a general, rational perspective.

A society which offers guidance to men and women in regards to how they will be able form meaningful partnerships with one another, will surely have more people happily married, with families, children, long-term relationships, than a society which does not, right? I mean, surely, pretty much anybody would agree with that. A society that offers rewards and encouragement for monogamy, is going to do better in that regard, than one which does not.

Are we, then, as a society, doing a truly good job at "enforcing monogamy", or rather, encouraging people to invest into relationships and becoming productive members of society, establishing families, putting their roots on the ground, and leaving a lasting legacy as human beings, if there's an increasing host of "angry young men", becoming outcasts and lashing out at the society? Probably not.

Administering labels to people such as "incel" and whatever does not really help to solve the problem. It's what a society does when it's on the defensive, against a growing problem of disassociated groups of people, be they black people, gay people, incels, or whatever. But it's more like the reaction of a child than a wise adult. We have no need to discuss this in terms of "incels" or what not.

The reality is that we are seeing a generation of men being raised, who find it increasingly difficult to integrate into becoming part of society. In any case, even without taking a humanitarian perspective into account, that's an enormous loss of productivity. A truly effective, well-functioning society does not look past a loss of productivity on that scale.

My own society is a prime example in the sense that with each generation, we are seeing a greater and greater number of "lost youth", who forsake society, and there is absolutely no desire whatsoever to even discuss about the problem in any sort of rational terms. You can't even begin to approach that discussion without a bunch of labels being thrown at you, basically degenerating the conversation down to nothing. Yet it is a crucial conversation, that at some point, is going to have to be had.

Sorry for the late response but...

I agree with you that a society that encourage monogamy is a better one.

But Petersson was asked what we should do about the incel Community (they call themselves incels) and he responded with enforced monogamy. Ok that's fine if "forced monogamy" mean what you say "A society which offers guidance to men and women in regards to how they will be able form meaningful partnerships with one another, will surely have more people happily married, with families, children, long-term relationships"

The problem is that they can't even get woman in THAT society so he doesn't really have a Point in that case.

Society do encourage monogamy, its illegal to marry more then one person for example....

Sorry for the late response but...

I agree with you that a society that encourage monogamy is a better one.

But Petersson was asked what we should do about the incel Community (they call themselves incels) and he responded with enforced monogamy. Ok that's fine if "forced monogamy" mean what you say "A society which offers guidance to men and women in regards to how they will be able form meaningful partnerships with one another, will surely have more people happily married, with families, children, long-term relationships"

The problem is that they can't even get woman in THAT society so he doesn't really have a Point in that case.

Society do encourage monogamy, its illegal to marry more then one person for example....

They didn't have as many "incels" just a generation or two ago. So obviously something between then and now has happened, to how effectively we are enforcing monogamy as a society.

It involves more than just the society putting "monogamous" relationships first. It's more so about how you can steer people to being effective members of the society, from birth to adulthood. Having a family that cares about you, a mom and a dad, somebody to look up to as a role model, obviously play an enormous part in that.

The idea that we are all lone ships who ought to steer themselves through a giant ocean, I suppose that's fine. That's the modern American way. But the results are quite predictable as well. Many more people will fail and become miserable, especially when the work and the rewards that the society offers become more and more undesirable, and detached from the reality of what people actually want for themselves.

If that is the end game, then I do not really understand the constant whining, and crying, and moaning by Americans about the people who fail and lash out at the society. You've set up your society in a way that separates the people between "winners" and "losers", so it should be quite obvious that the "losers" will get some payback, possibly in the form of mass murders, riots, robberies, rape and assault. That certainly appears to be the case based on the crime rates and the number of mass shootings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back