Cris Cyborg doesn’t want to fight Amanda Nunes ‘because Brazil vs. Brazil is not cool’

It does seem to me, and of course I am speaking broadly and anecdotally here, that Brazilians take losing very hard. Not just the athlete, but the fans. Like a loss entails a massive loss of prestige with the fans.
In a way, Cyborg may not want to fight Nunes because she doesn't want to see Nunes crapped on by the Brazilian people. Maybe she's being too nice. There can probably only be one female Brazilian fighter that fans adore, at least if they are still in the same ballpark in weight class.

Cyborg will fight anybody.

The interview was done in Brazil, so she is addressing a predominantly Brazilian audience, and saying the right things to keep their support.

Except that's false. She wouldn't agree to a fight with Cat Zingano and instead asked for a green fighter in Megan Anderson.

'done in Brazil' Pitiful excuse. She said the same thing on Twitter.

I understand cyborg. A Korean wouldn't want to fight a fellow Korean in the UFC, or a polish vs another polish. They want to represent their country as much as they can. So who ever even thinks cyborg said this because she's scared of Amanda, lol. Think again.

She needs to take a lesson from Shogun and Machida. They respected each other, they loved Brazil the same but business is fucking business and when the bell rang, they tried to clobber the shit out of one another.

In a way, Cyborg may not want to fight Nunes because she doesn't want to see Nunes crapped on by the Brazilian people. Maybe she's being too nice. There can probably only be one female Brazilian fighter that fans adore, at least if they are still in the same ballpark in weight class.

Nunes would be head and shoulders above any other win on Cyborg's resume imo. Being nice to her is a thin excuse. Not that you're wrong about it. I'm just saying it shouldn't fly.

"I’d fight Amanda, but I have no interest in fighting her,” Cyborg said during a media day in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. "We’re two Brazilians, and that would ‘kill' one Brazilian. Why kill one if we’re representing the same country? It’s us against the world."

"But if it’s an interesting fight for the fans, if they want this one day, we can do it,” Cyborg said. "It’s like ‘Claudinha’ (Gadelha) fighting Jessica (Andrade at UFC Japan). I don’t think it would be cool because we’re Brazilians, but I’d do it. I would avoid it, because Brazil vs Brazil is not cool, and I think fans would be split."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/...d-fight-with-fellow-ufc-champion-amanda-nunes

<Dana05>
The fight of the Just Bleed Goddesses.

I understand cyborg. A Korean wouldn't want to fight a fellow Korean in the UFC, or a polish vs another polish. They want to represent their country as much as they can. So who ever even thinks cyborg said this because she's scared of Amanda, lol. Think again.

Do you speak for all Koreans and Polish people?

Nunes would be head and shoulders above any other win on Cyborg's resume imo. Being nice to her is a thin excuse. Not that you're wrong about it. I'm just saying it shouldn't fly.
I agree and I think if push came to shove, Cyborg would fight her knowing nobody would blame her. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether the UFC could actually sway Nunes to fight Cyborg. Can they force her to go up in weight? Is it enough of a money fight that they could throw money at Nunes until she takes it?

I agree and I think if push came to shove, Cyborg would fight her knowing nobody would blame her. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether the UFC could actually sway Nunes to fight Cyborg. Can they force her to go up in weight? Is it enough of a money fight that they could throw money at Nunes until she takes it?
That's the key question. I wonder if Cyborg heard something that influenced her to make this statement? For one thing, a little hard to get here might increase the UFC's offers for both fighters if this fight ever did materialize.

Except that's false. She wouldn't agree to a fight with Cat Zingano and instead asked for a green fighter in Megan Anderson.
'done in Brazil' Pitiful excuse. She said the same thing on Twitter.
I am not making excuses. Only presenting a different conclusion.

Even so, Cyborg said she will fight Nunes, except that she would not be excited about it.

So, this thread is just based on alternative facts.

I am not making excuses. Only presenting a different conclusion.

You are. She's not saying this just for the benefit of the Brazilian people. This is something she has said on more than one occasion, and not just in Brazil, either.

Even so, Cyborg said she will fight Nunes, except that she would not be excited about it.

She clearly says that she's going to try and avoid it. Did you catch that part? They're not in the same division, which means there's not going to be a circumstance where the two have to fight. So it's entirely up to her (and Amanda Nunes) to make it happen and Cyborg says it's not something she wants.

So, this thread is just based on alternative facts.

Something you have a history of spreading. The thread title says 'Cyborg doesn't want to fight Amanda...'. The whole article is about her explanation of why she doesn't want to fight Amanda Nunes. This isn't difficult.

Last edited:
We're all humans, man. We shouldn't be fighting, because then one human loses.

Dumbass Brazilian logic at-play

Psht.

If all Brazilians felt that way we would have never had some of the best/most controversial fights in MW and LHW history.

Brazil has some of the best talent and one of the main things that attract hardcore fans too MMA is the best fight the best.

"It's us against the world" what the fuck kind of mind set is that!?

Back