Create an MMA organization

Discussion in 'The Wasteland' started by Scott Lawlor, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Scott Lawlor Banned

Scott Lawlor
    Scenario: You've been given free reign over the MMA world, you can make your own organization that is purely for your own entertainment.

2. Scott Lawlor Banned

Scott Lawlor
    NPA (NATIONAL PANKRATION ASSOCIATION)

[​IMG]

President/Promoter: Randy Couture

First off, Couture is a legend of the sport, so he's going to be respected by both the fighters and the fans.
    Secondly, he's got that "Captain America" badass look, which makes him a cool face to represent the sport.

[​IMG]

Cage or Ring?: Octagon

How many weight classes?
    Men's FLW-HW

I support WMMA, but I'm just not a fan of it. This hypothetical organization is purely for my entertainment anyway.

[​IMG]

Belt, trophy or plaque?
    UFC-inspired belt

[​IMG]

Gloves:
    Strikeforce styled red & blue.

How does judging work?
    Alternative

Three judges score the bout using the 10-point must system but with the addition of half-points.
    Also, each judge will have experience in one aspect of MMA.
    One judge with a background in striking, another in wrestling, and another in submission grappling.
    Hopefully with half-points and diverse, knowledgeable judges, we could render better scores.

Bout Duration:3 5-minute rounds, or 5, 5-minute rounds in title fights and headliners.

[​IMG]
    (2) Fight Announcers: Bas Rutten & Kenny Florian
    Don't get me wrong, I love Joe Rogan, but I'd be lying if I said he didn't annoy me a lot with his commentary.
    Drastically hyping up guys ("Che Mills is a monster"), prematurely calling the end of fights, constantly saying guy's are hurt, etc.

Rules:
    Almost identical to most MMA organizations, but I'll allow 12-6 elbows, and simply placing your hand on the mat doesn't make you a "downed opponent".

How often are events?
    Probably bi-weekly shows.

Contender Format:
    A tournament to produce my original champions, but from then one it'd be a case-by-case of who I think deserves the shot more.

3. IngaVovchanchyn Gold Belt

IngaVovchanchyn
    Instead of scoring a round 10-8.5, why not just score it a 10-8? Half points are an overly complicated idea, given that we only use two points of the available ten.

Your promotion seems very similar to the UFC.

4. Scott Lawlor Banned

Scott Lawlor
    Because 10-8s are rarely ever used. Every judge seems determined to score every round 10-9 and you have to nearly kill a guy to get 10-8. Hopefully with a half point they could be more lenient.

And yes, its similar because most MMA organizations run similarly and because I like the way the UFC runs things...for the most part.

5. IngaVovchanchyn Gold Belt

IngaVovchanchyn
    Lol. You still do not get my point. What you want is for judges to loosen up their overly tight scoring. A half point versus a full point is just semantics.

I think it would be easier to encourage judges to make full use of the system already in place as opposed to implementing a new system.

6. Magooglie Steel Belt

Magooglie
    It would take place in an octagon, the full sized octagon.

I would have 3, 6 minute rounds for regular fights. 5, 6 minute rounds for championship fights and other selected fights.

It would be a 10 point judging system by round. There would be 5 judges for each 3 round fight and 7 judges for 5 round fights.

Rules would be unified rules + leg to head on ground + downward elbows + headbutts to below the neck.

There would be 8 shows per month. 1 PPV, 3 upper/mid level, and 4 mid/new level. Each show would get a countdown show and/or a 24/7 show.