Crawford, Indongo to Pay Over $100K Apiece in Sanctioning Fees

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Terence Crawford and Julius Indongo have the rare opportunity to own each of the four widely recognized world titles in their weight class.

The 140-pound title-holders will pay plenty, though, for the chance to become a fully unified champion in the super lightweight division. BoxingScene.com has learned that Crawford, the WBC and WBO champion, and Indongo, the IBF and WBA champion, will pay more than $100,000 apiece in sanctioning fees from their undisclosed seven-figure purses to fight for those four world titles August 19 at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Nebraska (ESPN).

The figures are so high because Crawford (31-0, 22 KOs), of Omaha, Nebraska, and Namibia’s Indongo (22-0, 11 KOs) each will submit 12 percent of their respective purses for the right to fight for those four championships.

crawford-indongo_1.jpg

Indongo was stripped of the IBO 140-pound championship on Monday. If that fifth title would’ve been at stake a week from Saturday night, Crawford and Indongo would’ve paid even more in sanctioning fees.

The IBF, WBA, WBC, WBO and IBO typically take 3 percent apiece from the purses of a champion and challenger when those organizations sanction a title fight. In cases of superstars such as Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao and Canelo Alvarez, those sanctioning bodies often negotiate lower fees for title fights because those highly paid stars aren’t willing to pay 3 percent from their eight-figure purses.

Whoever wins the Crawford-Indongo fight will become the first boxer in any division in 12 years to hold the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO titles at the same time. The last boxer to own all four titles at the same time was Jermain Taylor, who won the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO middleweight titles from Bernard Hopkins in July 2005.

When Taylor and Hopkins fought again in December 2005, only the WBA, WBC and WBO middleweight titles were at stake in their immediate rematch.

Mandatory defenses and champions’ unwillingness to pay four sanctioning fees have prevented such a fight from happening in the 12 years since Taylor beat Hopkins at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Worth the price to help sell the fight to fans since neither guy is incredibly famous.

Still pretty steep and a good reminder why superstars with huge fans bases sometimes just drop belts.

I never understood this. You earn the belts with hardwork, blood, sweat and tears but have to pay $100k to keep them? Sounds fucking stupid. What are these belts made of? Diamonds? Indongo hardly has any money and is gonna make shit money for this fight as it is and out of that he's gonna have to pay $100k? Is he even making a $100k for this fight? How do you expect someone like Indongo to pay that?

I never understood this. You earn the belts with hardwork, blood, sweat and tears but have to pay $100k to keep them? Sounds fucking stupid. What are these belts made of? Diamonds? Indongo hardly has any money and is gonna make shit money for this fight as it is and out of that he's gonna have to pay $100k? Is he even making a $100k for this fight? How do you expect someone like Indongo to pay that?

It clearly states that he will make over 1 mil this fight.

Didn't Jeff Horn make $500k for the pacquiao fight? How is fighting Crawford making Indongo more?

I have no idea how he is making more but Marriaga made $500k for fighting Loma. Might just be what TR pays their guys to fight the well known fighters.

Fuck these belts, everyone knows who the real champions are. Nobody gives a dusty fuck about the WBA, IBF, Ring Magazine or WBO belts anyway, unless they're on the legit champ.

Didn't Jeff Horn make $500k for the pacquiao fight? How is fighting Crawford making Indongo more?

horn might have had a percentage of the ppv rights in australia.

diego chaves only made 35k against bradleys 2mm but owned the ppv rights in argentina. the amount of money for that mustve been pretty good because diegos done nothing since that payday almost three years ago

Is Indongo a legit threat to Crawford?

It's tough to say. Indongo is a big southpaw with a good workrate, a decent punch, and a bit of skill. That's usually at least a bit problematic for anyone, but Crawford has been looking increasingly dominant (and I think he actually deserved a bit more credit for his win over Diaz as Diaz is a pretty good fighter and Crawford dominated and stopped him). Indongo is a bit wild and not the most polished defensively, and I think we'll see Crawford feel him out for a few rounds, figure out his weaknesses, and then start routinely punishing him for his mistakes by about halfway through the fight.

Did you think Horn was a threat to Pacquiao?
I'd never heard of horn to be quite honest so no I didn't. I can't even remember how I scored it but I know it was close, and that 117-111 is dumb.

I had it 114-113 horn

Last edited:
Terence Crawford and Julius Indongo have the rare opportunity to own each of the four widely recognized world titles in their weight class.

The 140-pound title-holders will pay plenty, though, for the chance to become a fully unified champion in the super lightweight division. BoxingScene.com has learned that Crawford, the WBC and WBO champion, and Indongo, the IBF and WBA champion, will pay more than $100,000 apiece in sanctioning fees from their undisclosed seven-figure purses to fight for those four world titles August 19 at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Nebraska (ESPN).

The figures are so high because Crawford (31-0, 22 KOs), of Omaha, Nebraska, and Namibia’s Indongo (22-0, 11 KOs) each will submit 12 percent of their respective purses for the right to fight for those four championships.

crawford-indongo_1.jpg

Indongo was stripped of the IBO 140-pound championship on Monday. If that fifth title would’ve been at stake a week from Saturday night, Crawford and Indongo would’ve paid even more in sanctioning fees.

The IBF, WBA, WBC, WBO and IBO typically take 3 percent apiece from the purses of a champion and challenger when those organizations sanction a title fight. In cases of superstars such as Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao and Canelo Alvarez, those sanctioning bodies often negotiate lower fees for title fights because those highly paid stars aren’t willing to pay 3 percent from their eight-figure purses.

Whoever wins the Crawford-Indongo fight will become the first boxer in any division in 12 years to hold the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO titles at the same time. The last boxer to own all four titles at the same time was Jermain Taylor, who won the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO middleweight titles from Bernard Hopkins in July 2005.

When Taylor and Hopkins fought again in December 2005, only the WBA, WBC and WBO middleweight titles were at stake in their immediate rematch.

Mandatory defenses and champions’ unwillingness to pay four sanctioning fees have prevented such a fight from happening in the 12 years since Taylor beat Hopkins at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Again you're stealing other people's work without attribution. Post a link please.

Indongo is a bit wild and not the most polished defensively, and I think we'll see Crawford feel him out for a few rounds, figure out his weaknesses, and then start routinely punishing him for his mistakes by about halfway through the fight.
I agree Indongo is wild but from what I've seen he makes up for it with his athleticism kinda like Pacquiao and Prince Naseem. Like in the Burns fight he'd do something questionable but before Burns could think let alone counter Indongo would make up for it by throwing several other punches to keep Burns thinking, tying up or leaping out the way. Sometimes in boxing its a little more complicated then just calling someone wild. Pacquiao is wild but we know it works for him (most of the time). So far what Indongo does works for him. Crawford of course is not Burns but still...

Back