x

tenor.gif

I remember seeing these when I lived in the South and mosquito hawks were exactly what we called them. Everyone knew they weren't mosquitoes.

I don't think I've seen one in Utah, though.

I see them quite a bit here in Florida. They don't hurt you, but freak people out because they are really big and fly fast and very erratically. Their really long legs, and they look like a flying daddy longlegs spider, also freak us out lol

I remember seeing these when I lived in the South and mosquito hawks were exactly what we called them. Everyone knew they weren't mosquitoes.

I don't think I've seen one in Utah, though.

You see them a lot here in Southern California but I've never heard the terms crane fly or mosquito hawk before.

The poor bastards get the mosquito treatment here. SWAT!

tumblr_o2b6mwp6nS1rjatglo1_400.gif

theres a lot near my house that hang out all over the exterior walls of my neighborhood

i kill them all just to be safe

The common name mosquito hawk comes from people thinking they eat mosquitoes. The larvae from some species of crane fly will eat mosquito larvae to quit being a bunch of fucking pussies sherdog and stop killing bugs.

Good to know. I see those things all the time. I'm usually too pussy to kill it cuz it's gigantic. I might still kill it cuz I'm afraid of it being anywhere near me. I'm very squeamish like a girl. If it ever lands on me, I'll scream myself to death. But the part about it eating mosquito is reassuring...

The common name mosquito hawk comes from people thinking they eat mosquitoes. The larvae from some species of crane fly will eat mosquito larvae to quit being a bunch of fucking pussies sherdog and stop killing bugs.

What the fuck, people always told me that these were male mosquitoes and the small ones were the females, and that the big male ones don't bite and that only the female ones do.

So the big ones AREN'T male mosquitoes??

Last edited:
What the fuck, people always told me that these were male mosquitoes and the small ones were the females, and that the big male ones don't bite and that only the female ones do.

So the big ones AREN'T male mosquitoes??
Same here

We get these by the fuck ton come summer time in California.

No they aren't male mosquitoes although male mosquitoes do not feed on blood so they got that part right.

I was tutoring a child of a Japanese businessman in Vancouver in the 1980s. She had seen a crane fly, drew it, and asked me what it was. I had no idea, but at that time in my life I was a know-it-all, which means I couldn't tell her I didn't know. I told her it was a male mosquito. She was going to a Japanese school in Vancouver at the time, and she ended up writing an essay on the whole experience - seeing that crane fly, talking to me, and whatever else. She even had her drawing of the crane fly in the essay. The entire essay was in Japanese, except for 2 English words that were under her drawing - Male Mosquito.

Gabe.. I find that offensive to all cats.
I will report you!

Almost that time of the year here in CT. Another month or two they'll be everywhere!

All kinds of crane flies up here in Southern Ontario in the summer. I don't bother with them unless they get in the house.

Back