Cowboy Cerrone vs Ben Askren

I'll never blame askren for being in ONE. Dana didn't want him due to personal reasons and he did try to talk shit and hype himself up.

Yeah, especially when you think back to all those fights where Cerrone has been wrestle fucked repeatedly

I think Askren would do well in the UFC. His fights haven't been as boring as they once were. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the UFC to see what he could do. Or at least he could go back to Bellator

His control game is amazing, and also he developed a very good gnp that doesn't look brutal but takes it tool in the opponent.

His control game is amazing, and also he developed a very good gnp that doesn't look brutal but takes it tool in the opponent.

So far, his "brutal" GnP has only been effective against terrible opponents in OneFC. I'm not buying it until he at least fights another Top 10-15 level WW.

Asking is Khabib of LW: undefeated, ragdolls elite fighters and gets shit on because UFC has not given him 'The Ronda Shine'.

Asking is Khabib of LW: undefeated, ragdolls elite fighters and gets shit on because UFC has not given him 'The Ronda Shine'.

1) Askren had a close, controversial SD against Jay Hieron, a guy with a miserable 0-4 record in the UFC (finished in all 4 losses).
2) He was getting taken down and eating hard leg kicks against Santos before the eye poke

He beat a few good fighters in Bellator, but never faced a really strong, good grappler. Hieron was the best wrestler he faced, and we saw what happened.

With that said, I don't get these threads. Cerrone failed to capture the UFC LW belt, and hasn't come close to a WW title shot. What's the point in this hypothetical fight anyway?

askren is legit. he should of had a shot in the UFC, but dana didn't want him. i see askren winning by UD. i don't see him finishing cerrone. cerrone is too good on the ground. i think cerrone's ground game keeps him safe, but he wouldn't be able to threaten askren.

1) Askren had a close, controversial SD against Jay Hieron, a guy with a miserable 0-4 record in the UFC (finished in all 4 losses).
2) He was getting taken down and eating hard leg kicks against Santos before the eye poke

He beat a few good fighters in Bellator, but never faced a really strong, good grappler. Hieron was the best wrestler he faced, and we saw what happened.

With that said, I don't get these threads. Cerrone failed to capture the UFC LW belt, and hasn't come close to a WW title shot. What's the point in this hypothetical fight anyway?
The point of hypothetical match ups is why Sherdog exists. You mention Hieron, as fight Askren had very young in his MMA career; and, a fighter GSP also struggled with. Hieron is a solid fighter, a very well rounded mixed martial artist and a great litmus test for young fighters.

Look at what Lima just did to Larkin, who was absolutely one of the best WW'w in the UFC and beat Mas. Koreshkov is also a killer, very well rounded, and silly to deny that.

I guess it's a moot point, as we will never get to see him in the UFC owing to fan backlash about Askren being such a dominant grappler. UFC has turned into a ratings circus where fans no longer care about who the best fighter in the world is. Very sad!

Cerrone would finish Askren.

Askren hasn't proven himself to be top ten in over five years. He's too busy decisioning cans and getting taken down and beat up by journeyman Luis Santos.

The point of hypothetical match ups is why Sherdog exists. You mention Hieron, as fight Askren had very young in his MMA career; and, a fighter GSP also struggled with. Hieron is a solid fighter, a very well rounded mixed martial artist and a great litmus test for young fighters.

Look at what Lima just did to Larkin, who was absolutely one of the best WW'w in the UFC and beat Mas. Koreshkov is also a killer, very well rounded, and silly to deny that.

I guess it's a moot point, as we will never get to see him in the UFC owing to fan backlash about Askren being such a dominant grappler. UFC has turned into a ratings circus where fans no longer care about who the best fighter in the world is. Very sad!

GSP finished Hieron in under 2 minutes, so I'd hardly call that a "struggled." As previously stated, my point is that Askren never faced any really good wrestlers...Hieron is the closest, and he gave Askren serious problems. I'd like to see Askren vs. a prime version of GSP, Hendricks, Kos, Maia, Shields, WW Lombard, etc. Then we'd know a lot more.

Askren was struggling mightily with Santos, who's not exactly a Div 1 level wrestler. If OneFC really wants to test Askren, how about inviting Palhares to challenge him?

Lol gsp was very green and ended Jay in 2 minutes I hardly call that struggling meanwhile Ben fought him while he was way over his prime and had a a decision robbed from him . You know those fights were like 4 5 years ago? Those fighters evolved , what about Ben?

I could see either guy winning. I could see Cowboy bouncing a shin off his dome or possibly catching him in a sub off the bottom or I could see Askren dry humping to a decision. I'd slightly favor Cowboy primarily due to his experience fighting consistently much higher level opponents than Askren.

GSP finished Hieron in under 2 minutes, so I'd hardly call that a "struggled." As previously stated, my point is that Askren never faced any really good wrestlers...Hieron is the closest, and he gave Askren serious problems. I'd like to see Askren vs. a prime version of GSP, Hendricks, Kos, Maia, Shields, WW Lombard, etc. Then we'd know a lot more.

Askren was struggling mightily with Santos, who's not exactly a Div 1 level wrestler. If OneFC really wants to test Askren, how about inviting Palhares to challenge him?

He struggled for the first 2 minites of a 25 minute fight. The commentators mentioned how hard Santos was already gassing. He was in for a beating and subsequently did everything in his power to avoid the rematch.

Askren gave up a spectacular takedown to Abbasov that had the announcers shitting themselves---he then reversed him and choked him out like 60 seconds later. He's known for putting himself in bad positions in order to get where he wants to be, hence the "Funky" monicker.

He would have KILLED Santos.

Cerrones the gate keeper for the top 10. Askren would finish him.

Back