Covington vs Kim is one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen

Matty da Ranga

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I know 20/20 hindsight is awesome, but I was thinking this as soon as I was watching it live. I picked Colby to beat Maia and RDA on the heels of this performance.

DHK had never been outgrappled in the UFC before that, ever. He was truly one of the most underrated grapplers in MMA, because even though he only has 1 UFC sub win, he was great at holding people against the fence and using his judo background to trip/clinch/dirty box opponents and winning comfortable decisions that way or setting em up for the KO.

Colby basically Dong Hyun Kim'd Dong Hyun Kim. Absolutely sonned him from start to finish, took him down effortlessly and also landed some big shots on the feet. So much so that one or two of the scorecards gave him a 30-25 (lol). He even managed to take him down when Kim sprawled perfectly, and mixed in knee taps, double legs, and folkstyle rode him better than any of Askren's performances (which says a lot).

Impressive stuff.

Said this for a long time, nobody has dominated Dong, who is an elite grappler, like that. He even rocked him too standing.

Covington is GSP 2.0. His social media numbers are growing at a rapid rate, they're still not impressive because his baseline was so low, but the Woodley fight will take his name to the next level, and I believe within a year he'll be one of the biggest names in the sport and leave behind a mountain of salt and nerd tears.

Covington is GSP 2.0. His social media numbers are growing at a rapid rate, they're still not impressive because his baseline was so low, but the Woodley fight will take his name to the next level, and I believe within a year he'll be one of the biggest names in the sport and leave behind a mountain of salt and nerd tears.
If he beats Woodley yeah

I think Tyron is a really bad matchup for him though, but I'd be happy to be wrong in this case

He won't take down a fresh Woodley and his striking defense leaves a lot to be desired, esp against a power puncher like Woodley

I agree. Personally, I think Colby is an elite fighter, and is going to beat Woodley who's not. There have been instances where an inferior fighter was a champion due to circumstances, and this is it, but can't recall someone being so self-entitled about everything.

Yeah DHK is a big Welterweight and Covington controlled him. Very impressive.

If he beats Woodley yeah

I think Tyron is a really bad matchup for him though, but I'd be happy to be wrong in this case

He won't take down a fresh Woodley and his striking defense leaves a lot to be desired, esp against a power puncher like Woodley

If he can't beat Woodley then he's overrated and was never any good to begin and Woodley will be lauded as the hero who served glorious justice to the racist doucehbag so it's all good.

But if he beats Woodley the sky is the limit. The build up to the fight will be huge and filled with social justice piss and vinegar, a win + a visit to the White House = Colby becoming one of the biggest star not named Conor in the sport. It will be glorious.

Regardless of outcome we should all thank Colby for bringing us much needed drama and popcorn. He exceeded expectations for someone with zero charisma and over 9000 cringe level.

He exceeded expectations for someone with zero charisma and over 9000 cringe level.
man, he really is bad on the mic. I was surprised he got as much response as he did.

On the forums anyways. Those PPV numbers, if they are true, are trash. He really needs to beat Tyron if wants any chance at success.

Colby is a very good fighter, with zero charisma. I like watching him fight, but I try to avoid his schtick like the plague.

So I know 20/20 hindsight is awesome, but I was thinking this as soon as I was watching it live. I picked Colby to beat Maia and RDA on the heels of this performance.

DHK had never been outgrappled in the UFC before that, ever. He was truly one of the most underrated grapplers in MMA, because even though he only has 1 UFC sub win, he was great at holding people against the fence and using his judo background to trip/clinch/dirty box opponents and winning comfortable decisions that way or setting em up for the KO.

Colby basically Dong Hyun Kim'd Dong Hyun Kim. Absolutely sonned him from start to finish, took him down effortlessly and also landed some big shots on the feet. So much so that one or two of the scorecards gave him a 30-25 (lol). He even managed to take him down when Kim sprawled perfectly, and mixed in knee taps, double legs, and folkstyle rode him better than any of Askren's performances (which says a lot).

Impressive stuff.
Exactly what I said.

Didn’t maia our grapple Kim easily?
Lol no. He had a muscle spasm in the first minute of the fight and lost by injury tko, before anything had even happened. I think DHK actually wouldve stuffed maia's takedowns and beaten him

I'd like to see that. The thing I like about Covington is that he's going after what he wants. Tyron Woodley thinks everything should be handed to him. He scored one lucky KO against Lawler and now he thinks he's the greatest UFC fighter ever.

Covington knows that nothing will be given to him -- he needs to go after it and take it. This is why I think he will find a way to beat Woodley.

I'd like to see that. The thing I like about Covington is that he's going after what he wants. Tyron Woodley thinks everything should be handed to him. He scored one lucky KO against Lawler and now he thinks he's the greatest UFC fighter ever.

Covington knows that nothing will be given to him -- he needs to go after it and take it. This is why I think he will find a way to beat Woodley.

Imagine if he beats Woodley then gets invited to the White House, pins a photo with Trump to his Twitter with some message about all illegal immigrants being filthy animals

<{anton}>

If he can't beat Woodley then he's overrated and was never any good to begin and Woodley will be lauded as the hero who served glorious justice to the racist doucehbag so it's all good.

But if he beats Woodley the sky is the limit. The build up to the fight will be huge and filled with social justice piss and vinegar, a win + a visit to the White House = Colby becoming one of the biggest star not named Conor in the sport. It will be glorious.

Regardless of outcome we should all thank Colby for bringing us much needed drama and popcorn. He exceeded expectations for someone with zero charisma and over 9000 cringe level.
Depends how he loses if he does.

Many cases of fighters gaining popularity after a loss to a big name.

chael-sonnen-1-e1435876019933.jpg

Lol no. He had a muscle spasm in the first minute of the fight and lost by injury tko, before anything had even happened. I think DHK actually wouldve stuffed maia's takedowns and beaten him
I think Maia's td had something to do with that "spasm"

Depends how he loses if he does.

Many cases of fighters gaining popularity after a loss to a big name.

chael-sonnen-1-e1435876019933.jpg

Nah Colby has zero charisma and is full cringe. The only way for him to blow up is if he keeps winning.

I love to see Colby succeed as much as the next popcorn connoisseur but don't insult the best in the business Chael P. Sonnen by comparing him to Colby Cringe Covington, c'mon now.

Back