Couture V Vera wrestling

Vera and Couture were teammates at the Olympic training center for the 2000 Olympics. Vera's chances of going to the Olympics ended with a serious arm injury. Other team members at the time include Dan Henderson and Matt Lindland.

Vera and Couture were teammates at the Olympic training center for the 2000 Olympics. Vera's chances of going to the Olympics ended with a serious arm injury. Other team members at the time include Dan Henderson and Matt Lindland.

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this. =)

wait, if Vera has such a high level of wrestling, why doesn't he ever use it ???

he any of you guys seen the couture kerr wrestling match its been a long time and I can't even remeber who won

wait, if Vera has such a high level of wrestling, why doesn't he ever use it ???

This is one of the cases that proves that FOlk and freestyle are better than Greco.

Vera was a solid Greco guy but he was less than stellar in college.

He also had a good amount of success striking early in his career and probably fell in love with it.

Am I correct in thinking that Vera won the Pan Ams at brown belt in bjj?

Vera hasn't showed a particularly high level of wrestling in the UFC. He had alot of trouble with Big Tim and only took him down once. Jardine took him down very easily.

Maybe all the work he has done on his striking has made him neglect his wrestling, but still his credentials seem quite good but not good enough to wrestle with Randy (in MMA)

I don't think you can really judge his wrestling based on the Tim Sylvia fight. Against big Tim, Brandon had a badly fractured left hand since the beginning of the first round.. to make it worse, when he took Tim down, they landed with both of them crushing the broken hand between Tim's shoulder and the mat. I can't even imagine how bad that hurt.

To the poster that asked about the Pan-Ams, I believe he did place first at brown belt once but I can't be sure if I'm remembering that correctly. I'm posting from my cellphone and can't check, but I know he won several Grappler's Quest tournaments before he was associated with any team or Lloyd Irvin.

Back in the day there was a video on youtube of Brandon Vera wrestling some guys from a college team one at a time and he was man handling them. I wish it were still around, because it would be useful in this thread!

Edit:
2x Pan-American Champion
8x Grapplers Quest Champion

Here is an old but really good quality video of Brandon Vera beating Tim Carpenter at Grappler's Quest shortly after recovering from his arm injury that he sustained while training with Randy Couture at the Olympic training center. I can't remember the year, but I believe this was before he knew much BJJ at all, and had just started to work with Lloyd Irvin.

Kind of a random bump I know, but I think it's worth noting that Vera managed to take Couture down and mount him in this one. He was also the victim of a very bad decision here. This was one of the few times where Brandon Vera lived up to the hype behind him when he faced a good fighter (well, sorta). Never again would he display this kind of TDD.

iv never seen brandon wrestle in my life lol hes pretty lanky surprised he was at a high level prob did alot of ankle picks snatch singles

Back