Couture/Toney - Is the UFC handing boxing a gift?

The difference (and it's a big one) between James Toney and those pie in the sky “Martial Artists” who tried their stiff armed punching, takedown baiting kicks and theory fighting garbage against Gracie Jujitsu (Which is just catch wrestling, actually, if you know anything about the history behind it), is that Toney has experience fighting and beating the best, deepest, highest paid actual fighters on earth, which is something your “Martial artists” didn’t have any of, and neither does Tim Sylvia, Randy Couture or any other MMA fight-sport minor leaguer.

I might be completely full of crap; just like I was supposed to be full of crap last year when I stood alone saying Mercer was going to waste Sylvia EZ if it wasn’t a worked fight.
But we’ll know soon enough, won’t we.

On this board, the reality is this: If you give a nerdy kid with no prospects a tattoo, a funny haircut and 3 years of wrestling combined with a year of Muay Thai training, you’re a troll if you suggest he’s beatable by a pro fighter from outside the little-bitty rural world of MMA.

That's how soft skinned MMA fans are.....Bottom line.

But if you insult James Toney, it’s not a troll???

That's a mighty insecure reaction in my book.
And for good reason.

If Old Man Toney does to Couture what Mercer did to their other longstanding champion, Sylvia, don’t ever expect anyone to ever consider MMA anything different from a WWE fake wrestling clown show again.

More tolls used in MMA's Real Fights.......LOL
We'll see.

And you honestly think UFC/Zuffa are going to feed boxing an easy win? get real, the UFC have given Toney to Couture because they know Randy will clinch with him and use dirty boxing to weaken Toney then take him down and G&P him, Toney's best chance is to do a Mercer and go swinging for the start and hopefully catch Randy, but comparing Randy to Tim Sylvia is idiotic, two totally different fighters, Randy is always in shape to fight Tim went into the Mercer fight so out of shape it was unbelieveable, he was 308lbs I believe that is 43lbs over the UFC limit, and Tim paid for it, but comparing that fight to Couture/Toney is stupid, Couture is a totally different kind of fighter to Tim and won't get into a boxing match with Toney.

Dude I couldn't bothered to read the rest of your post, Randy has just turned 47 and is probably in the best shape of his fighting career, he's only been KO'd twice (2005 & 2006) to Chuck who was on roll back then, he's only been beat off Lesnar and Nog (and he was he winning the Lesnar fight until he was caught) so before making on Couture is shot, maybe you should actually watch his fights and you'd see he's in better shape then most guys half his age.

Toney/Couture will fold out one of two ways, either Toney who has some serious power catch Randy within the first minute of the round, or Randy takes Toney down and dominates with G&P, either way I think it's a good fight for both boxing fans and MMA fans.
I sense fanboy blindness here.

Randy is far from his best shape and was getting dropped by Nog who is not known for his punching power at all, Nog is past his prime himself and should retire along with Randy. Toney is not a KO artist at HW in Boxing but I can guarantee he hits much harder than Nog>

This is nothing but a freakshow fight to give Dana some bragging rights against Boxing, well I sure hope it backfires horribly.

I sense fanboy blindness here.

Randy is far from his best shape and was getting dropped by Nog who is not known for his punching power at all, Nog is past his prime himself and should retire along with Randy. Toney is not a KO artist at HW in Boxing but I can guarantee he hits much harder than Nog>

This is nothing but a freakshow fight to give Dana some bragging rights against Boxing, well I sure hope it backfires horribly.

When my name and signature are boxing related but I'm an MMA fan boy?? you truly aren't the brightest bulb in the socket are you?

Nog isn't known for his punching power just shows you how much you know about Nog, him and his brother trained with Cuban team back in 2004, and it was rumored Nog was going to fight in the Pan ams.

Logically Toney's best chance is to watch Couture within the fist flurry or Couture will clinch and use his dirty boxing and keep Toney up against the cage until he can take him down, come on Randy isn't going to box a freaking boxer is he? come on, and yeah it is just a bragging rights fight for Dana but Toney chased Dana all over the US to hear Dana so why not give him a shot?

Last edited:
When my name and signature are boxing related it does pretty much state I'm a boxing fan yeah? you truly aren't the brightest bulb in the socket are you?
Nog isn't known for his punching power just shows you how much you know about Nog, him and his brother trained with Cuban team back in 2004, and it was rumored Nog was going to fight in the Pan ams.

Logically Toney's best chance is to watch Couture within the fist flurry or Couture will clinch and use his dirty boxing and keep Toney up against the cage until he can take him down, come on Randy isn't going to box a freaking boxer is he? come on, and yeah it is just a bragging rights fight for Dana but Toney chased Dana all over the US to hear Dana so why not give him a shot?
Where did I even bring up anything remotely related to you being a Boxing fan?

I said your fandom for Couture seems to be blinding you to reality or do you think being a fan of Couture and being a Boxing fan are 2 mutually exclusive things?

Yeah and what does that prove?

Tons of MMA guys have trained with Roach, does that mean they are all the next Foreman's, Tyson's and Ernie Shaver's in terms of power?

If you had spent more time watching Nog's fights instead of reading about rumours online then may be you would have realised that Nog is one of the lighest punchers among MMA HW's, how many KO wins does the man have?

In 40 fights he has like 2 KO/TKO wins, one was against Sanae Kikuta and another against Pawel Nastula and unlike Fedor he hasn't been to known to drop guys and then sub them.

Your last point had nothing to do with what I said. I did not say anything about how this fight was gonna go, just said that this was a freakshow fight and I am right. You won't find over 40 years old punch drunk MMA guys coming into Boxing and getting a fight against any of the top 10 HW's without prior Boxing experience. If MMA was run more like a sport and less like a circus this fight would have never materialized.

And for Randy's sake I hope he never tries that pitter patter dirty boxing shit on Toney because he is gonna get laid out, he better take it to the ground as soon as he can.

Where did I even bring up anything remotely related to you being a Boxing fan?

I said your fandom for Couture seems to be blinding you to reality or do you think being a fan of Couture and being a Boxing fan are 2 mutually exclusive things?

Yeah and what does that prove?

Tons of MMA guys have trained with Roach, does that mean they are all the next Foreman's, Tyson's and Ernie Shaver's in terms of power?

If you had spent more time watching Nog's fights instead of reading about rumours online then may be you would have realised that Nog is one of the lighest punchers among MMA HW's, how many KO wins does the man have?

In 40 fights he has like 2 KO/TKO wins, one was against Sanae Kikuta and another against Pawel Nastula and unlike Fedor he hasn't been to known to drop guys and then sub them.

Your last point had nothing to do with what I said. I did not say anything about how this fight was gonna go, just said that this was a freakshow fight and I am right. You won't find over 40 years old punch drunk MMA guys coming into Boxing and getting a fight against any of the top 10 HW's without prior Boxing experience. If MMA was run more like a sport and less like a circus this fight would have never materialized.

And for Randy's sake I hope he never tries that pitter patter dirty boxing shit on Toney because he is gonna get laid out, he better take it to the ground as soon as he can.

You said I was blinded by Couture when in fact I pointed out the facts.

Ironically you say Nog has light hands yet he knocked Randy down a bunch of times in their fight, yet Randy only has two KO losses on his record both being to Chuck back in 05 and 06, and a TKO (referee stoppage) to Lesnar in 08, so it's obvious he has a decent chin on him yet light hands Nog put him down 3 times, quit discrediting Nog.

And what does Freddy Roach and other MMA fighters have to do with the Couture/Toney fight?

I know Couture/Toney is a freak show, I couldn't disagree and haven't.

Last edited:
I predict that James Toney in the UFC will be a one time only thing now the question is does he get taken down quickly and beat on by Randy which most people expect, or Does he land a hard shot on Randy early and make Dana White look like an idiot.

Dude I couldn't bothered to read the rest of your post, Randy has just turned 47 and is probably in the best shape of his fighting career, he's only been KO'd twice (2005 & 2006) to Chuck who was on roll back then, he's only been beat off Lesnar and Nog (and he was he winning the Lesnar fight until he was caught) so before making on Couture is shot, maybe you should actually watch his fights and you'd see he's in better shape then most guys half his age.

randys also been wobbled a few times in his last few fights

randys also been wobbled a few times in his last few fights

I don't disagree that Randy's been on shakey legs, I think he's been lucky in the Nog/Vera fights. Nog could of won by stoppage and Brandon Vera could of as well, but to his credit he showed resolve and was able to shake off the wobbles came back lost one fight won the other.

In seriousness tho Toney/Couture has no bearings on Boxing/MMA that pretains to which is better, Lesnar/Overeem (two MMA HW Champs) against either Haye or either Klitchko now that would be an interesting fight pitting the champions against each other to see what is better.

James' hardest punches was in the middle weight divisions back in the 90s and early 00s his power is long gone in the past 5 years.....
Toney is a pro Boxer, you know those guys who train their fists all day...

Yeah even some of their MW's hit harder than some MMA HW's.

Dana White and the Zuffa bros are making a huge mistake in marketing this as a "MMA vs. Boxing" contest.

What they should have done was market it as and expansion or "evolution" of MMA.

I'm putting down some coin on James Toney. He's a heavy underdog, but he still has the tools to put the "Lights out" on Randy Couture who can't seem to take a shot anymore.

Dana White and the Zuffa bros are making a huge mistake in marketing this as a "MMA vs. Boxing" contest.

What they should have done was market it as and expansion or "evolution" of MMA.

I'm putting down some coin on James Toney. He's a heavy underdog, but he still has the tools to put the "Lights out" on Randy Couture who can't seem to take a shot anymore.

I dunno, I wouldn't bother pre-planting excuses for Randy.
Seems cowardly to me.

This isn

That's right: as sure as $#!t, the best-of-the-best fighters go to the highest bidder just as several promoters had to bid for Jack Johnson vs James J. Jeffries 100 years ago, July 4, 1910.
Top current UFC fighters do not make as much money as top boxers from 100 years ago; that's both shocking and appalling:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/wh...-100-000-what-about-carwins-40-k-ufc-1270089/

Promoters bid against each other heavy for the Johnson/Jeffries fight; promoters like Eddie Graney, Fat Jack Gleason, Huge Deal McIntosh, Uncle Tom McCarey, and of course the winning bidder, Tex Rickard.

Johnson and Jeffries weren't groveling before a promoter, walking on eggshells in fear of angering a promoter and losing their livelihood by getting fired.

Hah, picture that!:

"Johnson, you're the pound-for-pound best, but I don't like the boring way you fought in the main event! Do that again and I'll fire you from UFC!"

"Oh yeah, here's your 90 thousand headliner pay even though the ppv took in 43 million total"
:)

James' hardest punches was in the middle weight divisions back in the 90s and early 00s his power is long gone in the past 5 years.....

Toney might not be the hardest hitting guy out there, but if he lands flush he still has the power to wobble a big guy like Rahman. Anybody who thinks Randy is going to be able to stand up to his punches is living on dream street.

Couture can shoot, you realize he has done Freestyle wrestling (and in fact, shot) in his time, right?

Let's not be too realistic here.
It's not like people can be expected to watch old fights of Randy's - not even against Chuck - or demonstrate anything above a minimal amount of knowledge about wrestling in the US.

He's a greco guy. How the hell is he gonna remember the leg attacks he learned wrestling in college, high school, and probably junior high?!
He couldn't even take Chuck down in the second fight, despite not trying to.
:redface:

Back