Couples and Finance.

genecop

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am always surprised when I hear friends talk about separate finances and their spouses... I have always been the opposite of that . We live, we spend, and we pool all of our finances together....So for discussion, how do you work with your Significant Other..Every Man For Himself.......OR........Into The Battle We Go Together.......Also, why do you take the approach

For me, pooling everything together makes me feel closer and more connected to my wife, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way...

Have a joint checking account which you both contribute to monthly to pay joint expenses, but keep your retirement and savings accounts separate. That way you don't have to worry about arguing with your partner on your personal purchase since it's your money.

That, and don't let bitches near your money.

You should figure out what your monthly expenses are and each save an amount proportional to your separate incomes. For example, if you make $60K a year and she makes $40K a year, you should pay 60% of the expenses, she would pay 40%, and you could both keep the balance for yourselves. This will prevent a lot of potential arguments about money when, say, you want to buy a Nintendo Switch and she occasionally goes nuts at Sephora.

You should figure out what your monthly expenses are and each save an amount proportional to your separate incomes. For example, if you make $60K a year and she makes $40K a year, you should pay 60% of the expenses, she would pay 40%, and you could both keep the balance for yourselves. This will prevent a lot of potential arguments about money when, say, you want to buy a Nintendo Switch and she occasionally goes nuts at Sephora.

Some women will take issue with this, having to divy up all expenses every time you have to get groceries and shit. Caused friction with my ex but she was terrible with her money.

She has her account, and I have have mine. We also have a joint account, which I never draw from but she does. She calls it "our money", but it's really her money because she doesn't really have enough in her own account to be...enough.

Some women will take issue with this, having to divy up all expenses every time you have to get groceries and shit. Caused friction with my ex but she was terrible with her money.
All the more reason to keep part of your finances separate

As unromantic as it sounds, joint finances should be treated like a business -- with agreements set forth in writing that are revisited on an annual basis. People might balk at the illusion of distrust, but really contracts are there so you don't have to go on just trust, faith, and memory. It's not really a problem if anyone doesn't hold up his or her end of the agreement -- but it will be the biggest problem everrr if the marriage goes south and no one has any proof of what needs to go where. Also a good way to weed out potential problem partners.

My wife doesn't work out of the home, but I could never imagine thinking of our money as mine more than hers. We both have equal and unrestricted access to everything.

Fuck that. Joint account with automatic withdrawal for all monthly expenses plus cushion. Outside of that, I keep mine and you keeps yours. Tax returns are pooled into joint account if a child is involved.

My wife and I have completely separate finances. I pay for the mortgage, property taxes and utilities. I pay my own credit card and car loan payments. She's responsible for her credit card, her car loan, and her student loan. She pays for our son's daycare, which is the second largest single expense after the mortgage. I pay the premiums on our car insurance and life insurance.

I don't want to have joint finances because she's shit with money. She's always down to her last $50 in her account before payday.

I make double her income, so I'm able to put a little away for our kid's university and my own retirement savings despite paying the lion's share of household expenses.

Since we are on the first page everybody is civilized so far but this for sure is the type of thread that by the third page is going to turn into people saying "everybody who thinks different than me is stupid because my way works for me so it should be the only way to do things" this is one of the things that annoy me from these forums its like ok dude if you have something that works for you thats great, congratulations now understand that just because it works for you it doesnt mean its the only way to do it in the history of humanity, people are different we are all different and different things will work for different people.

Im not here to post my opinion on the issue just to note that by the third page for sure this is going to turn into an insult fest.

Reading this is interesting and I am seeing that circumstances should dictate the arrangement....There is wisdom for young couples just starting out to keep things separate and organized. I didn't get married until my 40s, by then we where both pretty well settled financially and craziness.....no kids..pretty much free to do as we please..Shit if I got married in my 20s , if i had a casual attitude about finances , at this stage I would have been married 4 times and I would be living in a box ( like a few friends )

Separate accounts, she doesn't see mine and I don't see hers. She owns her own houses and properties and I have mine.
The only problem is that I have paid for just about everything.

What's hers is hers, what's mine is hers.

All in together. I manage everything. I don't think my wife even knows what bank we use. She doesn't care to know about any of that stuff. It works for us.

Keeping our finances separate was the smartest thing I did in my last marriage apart from leaving it

We were trying to pull it all together. But my wife fucked up with my bank years ago and they won't let her add to my account unless she pays them lots of money. So, bullet dodged.

I am always surprised when I hear friends talk about separate finances and their spouses... I have always been the opposite of that . We live, we spend, and we pool all of our finances together....So for discussion, how do you work with your Significant Other..Every Man For Himself.......OR........Into The Battle We Go Together.......Also, why do you take the approach

For me, pooling everything together makes me feel closer and more connected to my wife, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way...

I keep things separate between my significant other and I. We just split things based on how we can proportionally pay and it works out fine. I just never bothered to put it together, and I don't want one of us to start complaining how we spend our money.

Gonna be married in a little more than a month. This input is actually quite insightful.

This is the one time Sherdog has been a source of good and not evil.

Back