Counter jab

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The cross counter to the jab in mirror stance is well known, rear straight.

But can the jab be a consistent counter to the rear straight?

Mayweather is famous for the pull counter (Ali etc), where he checks overextended jabs with a rear straight, but are there any examples of any prolific strikers countering a rear straight with a jab?

Mayweather is famous for the pull counter (Ali etc), where he checks overextended jabs with a rear straight, but are there any examples of any prolific strikers countering a rear straight with a jab?

In my experience, jab counters exposes you more than not. Depends on the level of aggression from the other side too

Straight is longer than the jab, so you need to pivot to the outside. Pretty standard move when you consider the pivot, it's basically a check hook.

Yeah you can but you gotta have longer reach than your opponent.

Keeping your left up and extended, get his timing down.
Once you feel you have it, as he shoots his right, pull your lead shoulder (and only your shoulder) back and then shoot your jab over his right.
Hard to explain the rhythm n look of it via text but that's as close as I could get.

The other is a simple swayback and jab pop.

You could also step back with your back foot, leaving your lead in place, and come back with the jab.

Then there's the fadeaway pivot n jab like fluffball just mentioned.

Straight is longer than the jab, so you need to pivot to the outside. Pretty standard move when you consider the pivot, it's basically a check hook.

That's what I was going to say. If you're significantly faster or have a really good read on your opponent you can counter the straight with the jab just by preempting it, but in general in a mirror stance you want to throw that lead check hook over the top while slipping outside the cross. One caveat is that if you go to this well too often a canny opponent might fake the cross to get you to slip outside and then kick you in the face. You can avoid this by pivoting out more on the check hook but I find it's much harder to get the angle you need to land the hook over the shoulder while also pivoting out without slipping outside fairly noticeably.

Back