Could Wrestling even be better than BJJ for Self Defense?

Wow there's some dumbasses on here. Are you trying to tell me that you can lock in a triangle so fast that the guy doesn't have time to see your crotch in his face and bite? I call bullshit. It takes a good amount of maneuvering and posturing to get a triangle fully locked; against an active defending opponent nads get bit 9/10 times (considering he's actually willing to bite them)

you have no idea what you are talking about... so GTFO this forum. Heavies :icon_arro

I think a good BJJ person over time has the qualities of a wrestler that you note, so a purple belt and higher will normally have the abilities to take a solid shot, control, be explosive, etc., particularly against an average person with no training. I think when you compare someone who wrestled in high school and college (4+ years)versus someone who has been doing bjj for six months to a year, then yeah, I think the wrestler will probably fair better on average. But, of course, it's an unfair comparison if based solely on experience.

All things considered I would think BJJ is better as it incorporates areas from wrestling but not, in general, vice versa (some wrestling programs show chokes).

This IMO. An experienced BJJ fighter(blue, purple belt and up) has all the qualities of a wrestler in terms of good top control, submissions from top, scambles, explosiveness, etc.

Also, wrestyling doesnt teach you how to fight off ur back, while BJJ teaches both top AND bottom techniques.

Wrestling does emphasize escaping back to the feet a lot more than BJJ, and undoubtedly has superior takedowns/throws. It has that going for it.

Escapes to standing are comparatively very rare in BJJ. I'm guessing it's because of the point structure - if he took you down once for 2 points, he very well might again and you get nothing for the escape (unlike wrestling). When you do see escapes to standing, it's usually when the top guy isn't trying to hold the other guy down very much anyway.

I wouldn't say that wrestling is necessarily better for self defense, but it has its advantages.

Training martial arts JUST for self defense is stupid. Just buy a weapon or go places in groups of friends. There are far more effective, less expensive, less time consuming methods for protecting yourself than investing years in becoming proficient at hand to hand combat.

The reality is, in a situation where grappling is an appropriate response to an attacker, anyone who is half decent at bjj or wrestling is probably going to fuck the guy up.

Best answer IMO.

Just fucking train what you train and stop worrying about these hypothetical situations.

Best answer IMO.

Just fucking train what you train and stop worrying about these hypothetical situations.

Seconded.

Can I close the thread before I get any more answers of yes and no? Both of those answers are incorrect.

It would be very hard to describe the rapid succession of strikes I received, but the moral of the story is that I didn't hit him and was disarmed very quickly. And it wasn't a telegraphed attack. I used to think all that stuff was garbage, but the Filipino Martial Arts practitioners do some very realistic weapons training with full contact sparring, and it's extremely effective.

On a side note, I also went knife vs knife with this same instructor once. If it was real he would have carved me up like a roast in seconds. Even though I knew it was a plastic knife, it was a terrifying feeling.

I met a dude this weekend that does that stuff...

Exctrema (sp?)

Escrima. It's a component of the mixed-style self defense classes at my academy (called Sogo Budo). I don't have the time to train it in addition to my BJJ but I've taken a class from time to time. That's basically what I was describing.

A well rounded mma game is the best...Christ I thought we've solved this

Plus gun and knife and dirty shit training

I love these threads. Guys who never post or grapple always come out if nowhere.

I put some guy in a triangle.

I'm now a eunuch.

Don't make the same mistake that keynote made.

This message brought to you by Ball Awareness 2010. Do you know where your balls are?

Wrestling is superior in terms of self defense since it helps one avoid getting to the ground in the first place and gives one a chance to get away even if he is put on the ground and pounded by his posse. Do you guys really think there are these ninja muggers in the USA that attempt to kirmura and heel hook wrestlers that don't know BJJ? Even if you are very proficient in BJJ and it appears you are getting the best of this guy on the street, it is very likely that his friend will just nail you in the back of your head.

Last edited:
If the opponent has a knife then you had better have trained knife defense, because I sure as hell wouldn't want to use either traditional striking or grappling against it. Good knife defense involves quick control positions and violent strikes like eye gouges from those positions, and standing joint locks to finish. You'll probably get cut a little but you'll disarm him and survive.

And if you think I'm full of shit, find yourself someone who's a professional in Filipino Martial Arts and has done a lot of sparring. Get a wooden or plastic knife and come at him like you're really trying to cut him, and see how many times you catch him with the blade. I've tried this and trust me it wasn't a fun experience for me.

I don't think you are full of shit. In fact, I completely agree with you. My (traditional judo) dojo places a fair amount of emphasis on self-defence, both against various other unarmed styles and against weapons (sticks, knives, even swords). There is no mucking around when someone comes at you with a weapon, you finish it quickly and decisvely.

I haven't trained in any of the Filipino martial arts, but a guy at my dojo also does Arnis and he has showed us a few moves to compliment our existing techniques. Again, I will agree with you that they are very effective.

My point about preferring grappling over striking when fighting an opponent armed with a blade was more in relation to if you had no choice but to fight and had no self-defence training, I would prefer to grapple rather than strike as this negates the reach advantage and gives you a better chance of incapacitating him. It is very far from an ideal situation, but given the forced choice I would prefer to grapple.

I sort of have to disagree here. I started training martial arts as a young teenager to learn self-defence because I was bullied. My Judo training proved very useful in defending myself against other kids who tried to push me around. Now, as a man, I have employed my martial arts (mainly restraint & control techniques) on occasion when confronted by drunk people at the pub wanting to fight or to restrain a mate who was trying to do something stupid and would later regret. The above, with perhaps the exception of restraining my mate, are all examples of using martial arts in self defence situations. It would be a sad day if a "martial" art was no longer useful for self-defence.

That said, would I take on a guy who has a gun or knife because I am a martial artist? No, so long as I (and my friends/gf) had the option to run away or otherwise defuse the situation, even though I have trained this. I have no desire to risk my life over what is probably a trivial incident, or even losing my wallet.

But there are many situations that qualify as a "self-defence situation" that don't involve blades or firearms. In such situations, I would contend that martial arts training is very useful.

P.S. In Australia (and many other countries) it is illegal to carry a knife or firearm on your person, unless you are a cop or some such. Even capsicum spray is illegal. Hence, martial arts training is really the only option you have to defend yourself in a situation where you cannot run away and help is not immediately nearby.

Back