Could the great Lomanchenko do what Rigondeaux did?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by JustOnce, May 15, 2018.

1. JustOnce Brown Belt

JustOnce
    Given how he performed against Linares, could the great Lomachenko go up not just one weight class like he did but two weight classes like Rigondeaux did, up against a champion seven years younger, while having had only two fights in two years prior to the fight?

I mean, since it would be hard to find someone of Lomachenko's stature up two weight classes, so not even that, but perhaps someone like Amir Khan even from his lightweight days. After all, Amir Khan and Lomachenko competed and medalled in same weight class in the olympics, in 2004 and 2012 respectively, with Lomachenko again medaling in lower weight class in previous olympic as well.

I really think Rigondeaux is a great fighter, who just got the short end of the things being led into a fight where all decks were against him, and no one really care much about him now, which is really sad for a fighter who's as good as Rigondeaux is.

Coming up two weight classes, it looked like Lomachenko had every advantage imaginable, while being the faster one of two, also being bigger, stronger and more active leading up to the fight in the highest high of his professional career. Some fans on here says that size didn't matter, but in real life it does. This ain't Jackie Chan movie, ask Lomachenko if it did or not.

I think Rigondeaux might have realized, as he probably have as much experience in boxing as anyone really out there, that he really had no chance at winning the fight as it was, whether he was injured or not.

So, could this great Lomachenko do what Rigoneaux tried to do but couldn't?

2. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    i don't know about that, but it is sad about how rigo is perceived now. having a disappointing performance vs lomachenko doesn't invalidate his awesome boxing career.

it didn't seem to me like he lost because he was smaller, though. lomachenko beat him up like he beat everybody up, by making them miss and hitting them from angles they don't see coming. i never felt like he bullied him with size, he just outboxed him.

but, lomachenko himself did say that the victory wasn't that significant because rigo was smaller than him. and let's not forget that he is getting pretty old.

tru3f4n, MMACroatia, Noctilux and 2 others like this.
  3. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    Rigo went up two weight classes because he couldn't get anyone close to his weight to fight him and wanted to cash out. Lomachenko isn't ever going to be in that position.

MMACroatia, MysticCam, Hagler and 3 others like this.
  4. george14 Blue Belt

george14
    I think Rigo realized it was a money fight and his weight class didn't provide anything close to it.

Loma is at a higher weight class and people care more as the weight classes increase, for the most part.

What @JayE said basically.

Yourstepdad likes this.
  5. PHATV WHITEBELT

PHATV
    Exactly. But never say never.
    lol

JayE likes this.
  6. aries Red Belt

aries
    Errr did you not watch the Linares fight? Lomachenko just did what you asked, he went up two weight classes and stopped the champion. 135 isn't his natural weight class you know? Lomachenko could still make 126 if he wanted.

7. JustOnce Brown Belt

JustOnce
    Did he have 2 fights like for two years leading up to the fight?

Was he fighting a champion seven years younger?

If you follow that reasoning, Rigo could probably make 118 if he wanted, so Rigo jumped three or four weight classes.

Minowafanatic likes this.
  8. wilddeuces Brown Belt

wilddeuces
    Could he quit with a "broken hand" adter being outclassed? Maybe, I suppose.

Time will tell.

9. Kim Jong Un Absolute Boss

Kim Jong Un
    The rehydration clause made sure Loma was basically featherweight sized so more like 1 weight class. 7 years younger? That wont be realistic for the next 5 or so years but we'll see.

I think it would be harder to match Rigo's accomplishment of making everyone 2 weight classes above your starting world champ weight duck you. If he beats Garcia it will happen though.

10. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    I'm skeptical, just because I think Lomachenko, even if he's likely never going to be a PPV star, will be a pretty strong draw.

Kim Jong Un likes this.
  11. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    i don't think that clause changed anything, really. he was 137 on fight day, right?

i read somewhere that he was 138 in the ring with linares, so he was basically the same size for his 130 fight with rigo as his 135 fight with jorge. it's what he weighs.

Minowafanatic and Kim Jong Un like this.
  12. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Hagler
    This. The move was more about desperation than legacy.

KillerIsBack V2 likes this.
  13. Todd498 Green Belt

Todd498
    This. And Rigo was the one talking a bunch of dumb shit and asked for it. Loma dealt with him. Made his ass quit. Now Rigo is hiding somewhere and his last tweet was from the night of the fight. Lol

14. aries Red Belt

aries
    I very much doubt Rigo could do 118 at his age. The weight cut would kill him.

15. Kim Jong Un Absolute Boss

Kim Jong Un
    Any info on his weight for 126?

16. MysticCam Brown Belt

MysticCam
    All valid points and it was a tough fight being older and smaller but he faked a fucking hand injury because he wanted out

It’s hard to respect that no matter what

17. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    He was 138 against Russell Jr. back in 2014. An interesting thing to note is that Linares has always been a guy who has rehydrated relatively little at LW. He was only 145 against Gesta (his last fight before Lomachenko). Lomachenko gave up some size, but he can expect to give up more against other LW opponents.

Kim Jong Un likes this.
  18. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    i heard linares was 152 for lomachenko. he looked a lot bigger, too.

ironfist05 likes this.
  19. CastletonSnob Orange Belt

CastletonSnob
    Rigondeaux was always overrated.

20. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    He must have tacked on extra weight, then, because he was 145 against Gesta.

randomg1t likes this.