Could Stipe Miocic beat Jon Jones?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Hydrated RDA, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Hydrated RDA RDA

Hydrated RDA
    Jon Jones is arguably the most talented fighter in all of MMA . The only times Jones has been challenged was against Cormier in the second fight before the KO, Machida in round 1, and against Gustafson. In my opinion I can’t see Jones beating Stipe any way possible. Jones could catch Stipe with a head kick or elbow but it’s very unlikely knowing the Stipe ate shots from JDS, Nelson, Overeem, and freakin Francis Nganou. It’s also gonna be tough for Jones to take Stipe down. The last time Stipe got taken down was in 2014. In Jones’s last fight he was getting tagged by Cormier. If Stipe lands those shots on Jones it’s lights out. Final point here, Stipe has all the same physical advantages as Jones such as height, reach, and cardio. At the end of the day I could see Jones beating anyone in the UFC, but in this specific fight I’d favor Stipe

2. Newave Orange Belt

Newave
    There are a lot of flaws in your assessment. Stipe chin is good but not great. He almost got knocked out by Overeem. Jones chin is probably better. He took solid shots from Glover, Gus and DC without getting Knocked out. So I wouldn’t bet on Stipe knocking him out either. Also, Stipes takedown defense is a bit overrated. If he defended against Cain I would agree, but he’s recently fought Francis, Overeem, Werdum and JDS. No good wrestlers. And his cardio is not as good as Jones. He gassed badly against Francis. And Jones has a four inch reach advantage. I used to favor Stipe too in a fantasy match with Jones, but after seeing their most recent fights, watching more tape and looking at stats, Jones should be a decent size favorite in the fight to win by decision using long range Muay Thai and clinch wrestling to rack up points and damage.

3. Congo66 Brown Belt

Congo66
    Could Stipe Miocic beat Jon Jones? Yes he could.
    Would Stipe Miocic beat Jon Jones? Now that's a different question, maybe. I think I'd probably favour Jones in the fight as I don't think Stipe is better at anything than Jones is but would need to wait until after the drug test results to be sure who won.

4. hugemmafan22 Banned

hugemmafan22
    Jones is better than Stipe everywhere except boxing and Stipe was knowcjes out with boxing by Struve. Jones will be a very decent sized favorite.

5. frye666 Brown Belt

frye666
    The JJ that I have seen fight, and I imagine it was always on dick pills, would have a very good chance to beat Stipe. I would give him around a 75% chance of winning.

6. Newave Orange Belt

Newave
    Exactly, and Stipe Isn’t even a great boxer. He’s great at knocking people out, but his boxing defense needs some serious work.

Matty da Ranga and hugemmafan22 like this.
  7. The Bard Brown Belt

The Bard
    If Jon thinks he can beat Stipe, he's welcome to try.

Bones struggled with Gus's size and strength, and he is very hittable. Stipe would maul him.

8. Post 2 Decision Brown Belt

Post 2 Decision
    Clean Jones gets murdered by Stipe.

(Potentially roided) Jones got beat up by Gustafsson, what do you think Stipe would do to him?

9. Oregonmma 2x Ice cream belt

Oregonmma
    THIS. Jon has never faced an opponent larger than him. Gustafsson is similar in size and Jones had a very difficult time with him. Had to have one of his trainers wipe his ass for him. Stipe could give Jones a lot of trouble. Jon without PEDs loses to Stipe.

10. Sapp Black Belt

Sapp
    I don't know if he would win, but I can tell you with near certainty Jones would be the betting favourite.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    STRAWBOSS and Matty da Ranga like this.
  11. theTKDguy Platinum Native

theTKDguy
    It would be a good one. Stipe should be the favorite

Squall Leonhart and Enigma87 like this.
  12. LockardTheGOAT Sherdog's Intellectual Savior

LockardTheGOAT
    I've already predicted that Jon Jones will be the one to dethrone Stipe of his Heavyweight crown.

13. 3sumrock Double Yellow Card

3sumrock
    you serious? overeem is one of the hardest punchers in ufc and not to mention stipe got caught and recover really fast after the knockdown.both jds and ngannou has connected clean on stipe but they failed to ko him

14. hugemmafan22 Banned

hugemmafan22
    Stipe was mauled by Struve...he’s very beatable

15. Tuf_guy Silver Belt

Tuf_guy
    Of course he could. Shit, if we go [M(MA]TH) or whatever is the appropriate way to write that, Overeem wrecked Jones in the gym, and Stipe wrecked Overeem.
    But really, he's got heavyweight power and good wrestling.

But I will argue that he probably wouldn't beat him, because Jones probably does something illegal and doesn't have to show up (ala Rumble fight and DC at UFC 200)

16. WannaB White Belt

WannaB
    It doesn't matter to me whether Stipe could beat JJ or not, that would be a stellar fight.

17. bluecocky00 Yellow Belt

bluecocky00
  18. Post 2 Decision Brown Belt

Post 2 Decision
    Bringing up the Struve loss really needs to stop holy shit

19. Morning Star Black Belt

Morning Star
    The question should be can Jones beat Stipe. Jones barely squeaked past Gus who is far inferior to Stipe. Juice free Jones likely gets finished.

20. Dr Hannibal Lecter Hmmmm...

Dr Hannibal Lecter
    Stipe would K JJ TFO! The only time JJ has faced someone o a similar frame to himself he got arguably beat by Gus. Stipe hits way harder and is probably way stronger than Gus. JJ wouldn't be able to keep taking such heavy shots. And just like Gus Stipe has the boxing advantage.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Kertol, quadrunner and Parapikoo like this.