Could Roy Nelson have been a UFC champion at 205

Be honest, you were one of the over 60% of people here who not only said Roy would beat Frank Mir in the Sherdog poll but said he'd easily destroy him. And you also picked him to win at least one/two of these fights; Werdum, Stipe, Reem, Hunt.

I guarantee you the only people that think like that are the fanboy types that like his fatness and personality and were the types that picked him to destroy Mir, Werdum, etc.

He has, well had a fanbase that is either completely clueless about MMA or just sees him differently than what he actually was and massively overrated him because they are fat like him, or like his personality or something of that nature.

Roy is seriously the most overrated fighter on sherdog ever. Every fight where he was destroyed and obviously overmatched by better fighters more than 50% here picked him to not only win but get an easy KO or sub. Meanwhile, in reality, he's a punching bag against those level of fighters.

The fact he said well Shogun beat Machida acting as if Roy is the same level of prime Shogun is well insane

The fact he said well Shogun beat Machida acting as if Roy is the same level of prime Shogun is well insane
But he Ko'd Brendan Schaub on Kimbo TUF, Dana doesn't like him, he rubs his belly, is fat like a lot of couch dwellers and is loud. He's my hero. That is seriously the thought process of the people that say Roy would be a top LHW, would KO Werdum, Mir, Stipe, etc.

sims.jpg

Title says it all. It is amazing how this fat dude could hang with guys that had literally 40 pounds more muscle than he did at Heavyweight.

I think he could have been top 5 at 205. What if he was there before Jones and Cormier showed up?

Would he have beaten:

Shogun: Probably
Rashad: Possibly
Machida: Possibly
Thiago Silva: Yes
Vitor Belfort: Yes
Rampage: Possibly
Rich Franklin: Possibly
Couture: Possibly
Forrest: Possibly

I bet his fat butt could have made 185 to be honest. All that potential WASTED.

Update:

In the span of a few years we had Chuck, Rampage, Forrest, Rashad, Machida, Shogun and Jones as champ.

May of 2007 to September of 2011 we had 7 different champs at 205. Roy at 205 could have beaten some of them I'd say.

But Nelson hit harder than many of those heavyweights who had 40 pounds more muscle than he did. His one-shot power is top level, regardless of his obesity and relative lack of muscle. Would he have still been a big puncher at 205 or 185?

Be honest, you were one of the over 60% of people here who not only said Roy would beat Frank Mir in the Sherdog poll but said he'd easily destroy him. And you also picked him to win at least one/two of these fights; Werdum, Stipe, Reem, Hunt.

I guarantee you the only people that think like that are the fanboy types that like his fatness and personality and were the types that picked him to destroy Mir, Werdum, etc.

He has, well had a fanbase that is either completely clueless about MMA or just sees him differently than what he actually was and massively overrated him because they are fat like him, or like his personality or something of that nature.

Roy is seriously the most overrated fighter on sherdog ever. Every fight where he was destroyed and obviously overmatched by better fighters more than 50% here picked him to not only win but get an easy KO or sub. Meanwhile, in reality, he's a punching bag against those level of fighters.

I picked Mir to win, because I knew Mir would lean on him, dirty box and not fight at range.

What you say about Roy has merit. I always cheered for Roy because he was the "regular guy" fighting the actual athletes. The fact that he is hanging with dudes who are giant next to him is why I say he could probably have been ranked higher at 205.

i dunno, but Nelson would never have defeated Bones, Rumble and DC!

Ha he could’ve been a ufc hw champ with the right match up/path.

But Nelson hit harder than many of those heavyweights who had 40 pounds more muscle than he did. His one-shot power is top level, regardless of his obesity and relative lack of muscle. Would he have still been a big puncher at 205 or 185?

Yes, but mass (weight) is part of the equation with punching power. He wouldn't hit quite as hard, but I'm sure he'd still have 1-shot KO power.

I think it is impossible to judge how he'd perform if he was 40 punds lighter. He might be too slow for LHW or not strong enough, or who knows what. HW is a much easier division too so if you don't mind getting battered you'll probably win more there.

I'm sure Roy has some inkling that dropping to LHW wouldn't pay off and thus has never done it. Yes he's also a fat slob, but I'm sure if he thought he'd be LHW champ he'd have bitten the bullet and laid off the burger king.

Ha he could’ve been a ufc hw champ with the right match up/path.

What path is that? Never fighting Cain and JDS, the two champs during his time in the UFC. And never fighting Frank Mir, Brock, Mark Hunt, all the top Strikeforce HW's when they came over?

Yeah, if a really young, raw with no muscle Stefan Struve, 4-0 Brendan Schaub and Dave Herrman were top 5 contenders and way over the hill Zombie version of Nog that lost to Struve was the champ he totally could've been the UFC champ. As long as Cain, JDS, Hunt, Barnett, AA, Mir, Brock, Werdum, Reem, Ben Rothwell all weren't in the UFC. So close.

Last edited:
No.

If he lost 40 lbs he would have no punching power and his chin would be garbage.

He would suck so much

If Nelson lost too much weight, then he’d have to get a tummy tuck afterwards, because he would probably have a lot of loose skin leftover. His opponents could conceivably grab onto that loose skin and use it for leverage or positioning during a fight, so Nelson would have to consider that fact!

Probably better if he stays overweight; keep that belly skin expanded out and tight!

Back