Could Roy Nelson have been a UFC champion at 205

mma_genius

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Title says it all. It is amazing how this fat dude could hang with guys that had literally 40 pounds more muscle than he did at Heavyweight.

I think he could have been top 5 at 205. What if he was there before Jones and Cormier showed up?

Would he have beaten:

Shogun: Probably
Rashad: Possibly
Machida: Possibly
Thiago Silva: Yes
Vitor Belfort: Yes
Rampage: Possibly
Rich Franklin: Possibly
Couture: Possibly
Forrest: Possibly

I bet his fat butt could have made 185 to be honest. All that potential WASTED.

Update:

In the span of a few years we had Chuck, Rampage, Forrest, Rashad, Machida, Shogun and Jones as champ.

May of 2007 to September of 2011 we had 7 different champs at 205. Roy at 205 could have beaten some of them I'd say.

Last edited:
Title says it all. It is amazing how this fat dude could hang with guys that had literally 40 pounds more muscle than he did at Heavyweight.

I think he could have been top 5 at 205. What if he was there before Jones and Cormier showed up?

Would he have beaten:

wouldn't have ever made the weight

No, real life Roy Nelson does not have the discipline to cut down to 205. A fantasy Roy Nelson who has the discipline to cut down to 205 is like a fantasy Ngannou who has 5 round cardio or a fantasy Mighty Mouse who's 250lbs, they do not exist and the discussion is pointless.

Not disciplined enough to drop the body fat. And would he have been as effective if he did. One of his things is he takes people down and smothers them with his belly. And what would being smaller have done to his power?

not sure how 205 Roy Nelson beats Jon Jones or Cormier?

Cormier was dominating heavyweights who dominated Nelson...

So what would happen if a skinny-fat Nelson fought Cormier at 205?

DC, Hunt and Nelson are natural middleweights.

I think if he took his training seriously, he could have been a champion in either division. Guy has one punch KO power and some very solid jiu-jitsu. I guess he was just wanted to be a slightly more refined version of Tank Abbott instead.

Pretty sure this was on jre and they were saying how if he fought at mw he could have been great. Weird opinions of who he'd beat though. You think he'd possibly beat franklin and couture but definitely vitor? lol what

Would he have beaten:

he might be able to make 155 if he became shredded. But he would lose a lot of his power. There's atleast 60lbs of excess fat on him, bringing him down to 185lbs... then he can cut 30 lbs of water weight like most fighters do to make LW.

Difficult to say because Lhw was so much better back then. Roy skillset actually suits hw better and his style (big fatty with a mullet that could ktfo other guys) was his brand. Remove that and he's just another guy.

Still curious what weight Roy woulbe around 10-12% body fat.

Would he have beaten:

Unfortunately, roy doesn't have the discipline or motivation to eat right and diet properly...It's obvious his diet is total shit...and he simply refuses to eat right...If he did everything possible, he'd lose his belly, and get semi lean...he could be double the fighter he is...but throughout his career he has never had any discipline...sure, he trains, but diet is a huge part of training...which he lacks badly.

People tend to forget these guys are also incredibly muscular under that fat. Have you seen what DC looks like? The guy is a brick shit house.

Yes, they could lose fat, but they would also lose strength too. Not to mention, the lighter guys are faster and could pose them some problems. As weird as it is to say, sometimes it's an advantage being chubbier. Fedor proved this too. He was much quicker than the Heavyweights he faced in his prime.

A motivated Nelson is a dream. It pissed Dana off so bad. Lol

No, real life Roy Nelson does not have the discipline to cut down to 205. A fantasy Roy Nelson who has the discipline to cut down to 205 is like a fantasy Ngannou who has 5 round cardio or a fantasy Mighty Mouse who's 250lbs, they do not exist and the discussion is pointless.

Ted, is that you?

People tend to forget these guys are also incredibly muscular under that fat. Have you seen what DC looks like? The guy is a brick shit house.

Yes, they could lose fat, but they would also lose strength too. Not to mention, the lighter guys are faster and could pose them some problems. As weird as it is to say, sometimes it's an advantage being chubbier. Fedor proved this too. He was much quicker than the Heavyweights he faced in his prime.

Cormier is a completely different animal. he is prison strong. He is an olympic wrestler who literally does nothing but train (and watch WWE)

Yeah, I agree. It reminds me of Tank Abbott. Most people here think of the fat, old Tank who lost to Mir and Kimbo, but 1996 Tank was a good fighter for his era and had a lot of potential. He had a juco wrestling background and a little boxing training, was extremely strong and hit like a mack truck. That was the formula for an outstanding HW in the mid-1990s. However, Tank wasn't any more willing to give up his partying/heavy-drinking lifestyle than Nelson is willing to give up cheeseburgers and make 205.

Roy fell in love with his right hand and literally wouldn't do anything else except wing that. He would lose to the elite 205ers and HWs just based on poor technique alone; size didn't matter

Back