Could Ortega beat 2011 Jose Aldo?

Nobody can beat a 2011 Jose Aldo

jose_scarface_aldo_highlights_knockouts.gif

Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_9.gif
Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_5.gif
1.gif

2011 Aldo wasn't all that dominant against Florian from what I remember it was a competitive fight albeit Aldo always in control. And Kenny was at the tail end of his career and looked very bad at 145 vs Diego Nunes even before the Aldo fight....

Then Mark Hominick was a testament to how shallow the UFC's 145lb division was, Hominick was always a low level fighter, not the kind of guy who's championship contention material and never was. The fact that he survived all 5 rounds and dominated Aldo late is a blemish on Aldo's record.

Ortega is much better than these fighters were at 145lbs. The 145lb division as fastly outgrown fighters like Hominick and emaciated Florian. If you think this implies Aldo is unbeatable, you're delusional. Don't get me wrong, I favor a prime Aldo to beat Ortega, hell a prime Edgar probably beats Ortega too but Ortega is a live dog...

Did Chonan fight those guys twice? Ortega did something that Aldo couldn't do in a combined 50 minutes of fighting.

Agreed but Aldo fights differently from T city and Frankie was better when Aldo fought him. Not saying he's a slouch now by any means but styles make fights. Ortega doesn't give a fuck about being put on his back by Edgar, meaning he can open up more. While Aldo has always had solid BJJ it's nowhere near as good as Ortega's, so when he fought Edgar he had to hit and run a lot more. I'd put money on Aldo knocking Edgar out in a kickboxing match. Ortega is like Werdum, world-class BJJ with scary striking, and since he doesn't care about going to the ground he can absolutely unload.

I think Prime Aldo is athletic enough to hit-and-run Ortega to a decision but again, I would not at all be surprised if Ortega could work his magic and finish him. Sadly, we'll likely never know.

Prime Aldo beats any fighter who ever lived P4P

No

Pre-USADA Aldo was really good.
Aldo was just scared to move Up.
At 145, he was hard to beat.
Scared to move up huh?

Get your facts straight.

Pre-USADA GSP was really good too.

Aldo was way more athletic and utilized dangerous kicking game, but at the same time, he did leave some opportunities to be exploited. Ortega is just so mentally focused and dedicated, even when it looks like everything is about to blow up in his face. His submission skills are nasty. The dude throws some heavy leather, though, Jesus. Even if he's not technically exceptional, guy knows how to drop them hands. Ortega reminds me of one of those raw, but no limit ceiling cats rising to the top, ending fights that he should have lost. By the time people have figured out his holes, he had already closed them type of fighter.

And I'm not talking hardcore WEC Aldo that finishes fights.
I'm talking about the Jose Aldo that first came to the UFC with the intention of cruising every fight to a decision.

What would 2018 Ortega do to 2011 Aldo?

Wut? He couldnt beat the current one.

I would take Aldo via dominant decision. I have not seen enough from Ortega to make me think otherwise yet.

People put way, wayyy too much stock into his win over Cub Swanson who has been submitted many times (and recently too) and submissions at the highest level happen pretty rarely in modern mma. His takedowns aren’t the greatest either so the idea of him getting Aldo down when Chad Mendes and Frankie, much more decorated wrestlers, couldn’t isn’t that believe to me.

Yes, he KO’d Frankie and Aldo couldn’t in 2 attempts but that doesn’t mean he is a better striker than Aldo or even a better striker than Frankie overall. 1 strike, good or bad, doesn’t define a fighter’s skillset. Based on what I’ve seen from both fighters and on how their styles match up, I think Ortega would be in for a long night. Aldo via decision

Since he hasn’t been beaten it’s hard to say what he can or can’t do. A guy who’s shown such talent and potential as far as we cal tell he can beat anyone.

Sherdog logic, anyone good is currently overrated, 5+ years ago were way better then they are now, were the GOAT and could beat anyone currently good. See also Fedor Complex

Ortega was losing the frankie fight before that ko. Frankie is almost 40 now? His chin has to crack at some point. As of right now I think current aldo would beat Ortega and Aldo on the juice would either stop him pretty easily or coast to an easy UD. If he beats Holloway or puts up a better performance than aldo(which is hard considering aldo won 2 rounds to 0 before the 3rd where he gassed probably due to not having the same supplements) I would say he beats current aldo.

And I'm not talking hardcore WEC Aldo that finishes fights.
I'm talking about the Jose Aldo that first came to the UFC with the intention of cruising every fight to a decision.

What would 2018 Ortega do to 2011 Aldo?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Way. Too fast Aldo would have out struck him easily. Not to mention Aldo was a big kicker, he would chop Ortega with leg kicks. Aldos soccer kicks were legendary.

Back