Could Lomachenko have overcome Floyd's defense?

I saw him for what he was. I guess I can't agree with everyone that pretends he was special because he fought Lomachenko.

Who here has claimed, or is claiming, that Walters was "special" after Lomachenko beat him? I'm talking about any regs that have more than an iota of boxing knowledge. I just conducted a search within the Boxing Discussion forum dating back to August 1st, 2016, months prior to him fighting Lomachenko. This will cover any regs that fit that criterion well before they fought up until now. Not a single person stated that Walters was "special" based on the 35 results spanning 2 pages returned, in fact, it was the opposite (you claiming that he wasn't special of course, which is true).

The closest thing that I could find was some bizarre discussion that Brains of Steel had with Jay back in November after Lomachenko beat him in a conversation comparing Walters to Duran (LOL). That poster isn't active here any longer, has dubs and was likely just trolling while pointing out a few basic similarities.

Here you go http://forums.sherdog.com/search/59391663

Who here has claimed, or is claiming, that Walters was "special" after Lomachenko beat him? I'm talking about any regs that have more than an iota of boxing knowledge. I just conducted a search within the Boxing Discussion forum dating back to August 1st, 2016, months prior to him fighting Lomachenko. This will cover any regs that fit that criterion well before they fought up until now. Not a single person stated that Walters was "special" based on the 35 results spanning 2 pages returned, in fact, it was the opposite (you claiming that he wasn't special of course, which is true).

The closest thing that I could find was some bizarre discussion that Brains of Steel had with Jay back in November after Lomachenko beat him in a conversation comparing Walters to Duran (LOL). That poster isn't active here any longer, has dubs and was likely just trolling while pointing out a few basic similarities.

Whoa! Howd you do that? Are you a hacker?

Your link doesn't go anywhere.

I've heard plenty about how great Lomachenko's resume is.

Your link doesn't go anywhere.

You can search the forums without even needing to be logged in. The search ID number is associated with its respective query from each subsequent lookup. It's temporarily stored on their servers by that unique number in the URL at the end of the first link I posted.

1) Try this http://forums.sherdog.com/search/59...ost&o=relevance&c[date]=1470024000&c[node]=53

2) Or, search for it yourself http://forums.sherdog.com/search/?type=post

Just make sure that it looks exactly like this (enlarge the screenshot if needed). It only takes a few seconds.

2ue3fdj.png

I've heard plenty about how great Lomachenko's resume is.

That isn't what I'm addressing, is it? I'm addressing this
I saw him for what he was. I guess I can't agree with everyone that pretends he was special because he fought Lomachenko.

Last edited:
I dont think you can be at a complete physical disadvantage and beat Floyd. Lomachenko is smaller, has shorter arms and isn't particularly powerful or blidnlingly fast. Floyd would handle him.

Last edited:
There is a little bit too much of a size difference (not to mention the fact that Floyd is 40 and retired) to really take that fight seriously at the moment. If we're talking Floyd at 130 circa 2001 against Lomachenko at 130 today, I'd likely give a clear edge to Floyd, but I'd have a hard time seeing it as an easy fight for him.

This. Young Floyd against Lomachenko is a fun fight. Loma is outgunned but makes it interesting.

In every measurable sense he was. He was ranked higher, had earned titles Floyd hadn't earned, fought a higher level of competition than Floyd had..... Floyd went on to accomplish more than Hernandez by a wide margin, sure.

I hate when people talk about how great fighters are while excluding their resume.

Except Floyd was definitely the better fighter. Unless you don't think any of us have the ability to discern talent irrespective of accomplishment.

Loma wouldn't beat him. And that pains me to say. Floyd is just unbelievable defensively.

Loma is certainly a great fighter. Is he my top p4p? No. Is he my current favorite to watch? Yes. Do I think he could be the best fighter in the world? Yes.

It all comes down to if they can make the match ups happen and if he can perform. If he were to beat Rigo, Lineras, Garcia, and Crawford in the next 2 years (which is certainly a tall task but I'd favor him over all but Crawford and a 50/50 with Mikey), then I'd say yes he has to be your top p4p.

I dont think you can be at a complete physical disadvantage and beat Floyd. Lomachenko is smaller, has shorter arms and isn't particularly powerful or blidnlingly fast. Floyd would handle him.
Αgreed. Floyd would use any physical advantage he has to the fullest .
Not to mention that Loma isn't his equal even technique wise imo.
Well nothing is certain yet though.

I don't like Loma to be honest. I am not a fan of his style.
I think he's a little too much all around the place. He can both pressure and box due to his technical acumen and footwork,
but he doesn't do it for me.

It's a matter of a personality and aesthetics as much as boxing ability for me to like a boxer.
For the same reason I don't like Crawford. Both boxers are considered great talents and maybe future ATGs,
but I don't like them nearly as much as others, like Roman Gonzalez, Floyd and Rigo, GGG.

Except Floyd was definitely the better fighter. Unless you don't think any of us have the ability to discern talent irrespective of accomplishment.
What makes a fighter better? Your perception of his skill level or what he actually accomplishes? Because I'm sure I could come up with some names of fighters who were supposed to be great talents that ended up being washouts.

Well, he is a quitter, is he not? And is his best win not a shot Donaire?

Your attempt to white knight Lomachenko sort of failed here.

{<jordan}

I was just saving you the time and effort to post, looks like I succeeded in that lol

You can search the forums without even needing to be logged in. The search ID number is associated with its respective query from each subsequent lookup. It's temporarily stored on their servers by that unique number in the URL at the end of the first link I posted.

1) Try this http://forums.sherdog.com/search/59...ost&o=relevance&c[date]=1470024000&c[node]=53

2) Or, search for it yourself http://forums.sherdog.com/search/?type=post

Just make sure that it looks exactly like this (enlarge the screenshot if needed). It only takes a few seconds.

2ue3fdj.png

That isn't what I'm addressing, is it? I'm addressing this
So you spent all this time making an argument over semantics?

This. It's ridiculous to think that you can only rate how good you think a boxer is based on their resume alone. Plenty of boxers have better records than Lomachenko out there but who would you pick to win a fight against him? You could claim that Martinez was the better boxer going into the Loma fight because he had the better resume having beaten Salido but that was obviously bollocks as the betting lines reflected. No one in their right mind gave Martinez a chance against him. So obviously you CAN rate a boxers ability totally separate from their accomplishments.

Back