Could Lomachenko have overcome Floyd's defense?

Kwik Kick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Just a question. I am more of an MMA guy, so maybe I am way out of bounds in thinking this question makes sense.

Wrong weight class, but I don't think Lomachenko's fought a guy in the pros that's as efficient a counterpuncher as Floyd. It'd be an awesome fight if the weight classes were closer.

Wrong weight class, but I don't think Lomachenko's fought a guy in the pros that's as efficient a counterpuncher as Floyd. It'd be an awesome fight if the weight classes were closer.

How much different are they? I thought Floyd could down near 140lbs?

It's the same as wondering if Floyd could beat GGG.

The weight nullifies the comparison. The 17 pound jump for Loma is big enough that we can't even make an educated guess about how his speed/power/stamina/chin would hold up. If they fought at their normal weight Floyd would look like a monster in there. Same with GGG against Floyd. The weight difference is less since it would be a 13 pound jump but it's still not fair. GGG would crush him at 160. Just too damn big and good enough to land meaningful punches.

I won't even discuss if the bigger guys drastically drained down because that's how you die and there aren't any boxers I would wish that upon.

You'd have to imagine a much younger Floyd in order for that matchup to make sense. Floyd got bigger and started fighting differently as he aged.

Floyd in his mid-20s would be a fun fight with Loma. But Floyd has shown too much versality for me to think Loma could beat him.

The weight nullifies the comparison. The 17 pound jump for Loma is big enough that we can't even make an educated guess about how his speed/power/stamina/chin would hold up. If they fought at their normal weight Floyd would look like a monster in there. Same with GGG against Floyd. The weight difference is less since it would be a 13 pound jump but it's still not fair. GGG would crush him at 160. Just too damn big and good enough to land meaningful punches.

I won't even discuss if the bigger guys drastically drained down because that's how you die and there aren't any boxers I would wish that upon.

Doesn't Loma fight at 137 and Floyd at 149 or something? That is not that much weight diff.

If Roman Martinez couldn't handle Lomachenko, whats Floyd going to do? Loma, KO 1.

Doesn't Loma fight at 137 and Floyd at 149 or something? That is not that much weight diff.

Nah Loma is fighting his next fight against one of the best boxers alive at 130 pounds.

Floyd used to fight at 147 but he's fought in the 150's a couple times including his last fight.

12 pounds is a big deal at that low a weight. Most weight classes are five pound ranges because of how dangerous the weight/size difference can get (that and the politicking).

Also, that would be a 40 year old Floyd cutting down to a weight he stopped trying to get to because of how hard it is against a Lomachenko who would be probably be maxing out by trying to go higher.

12 pounds is a big deal at that low a weight. Most weight classes are five pound ranges because of how dangerous the weight/size difference can get (that and the politicking).

Also, that would be a 40 year old Floyd cutting down to a weight he stopped trying to get to because of how hard it is against a Lomachenko who would be probably be maxing out by trying to go higher.

It's not 12 pounds. Loma does not fight at 137.

How much different are they? I thought Floyd could down near 140lbs?

What are you guys babbling on about? Both Floyd and Loma held world championship belts at the same weight class in different times. This is a dream match up thread.
So the Mayweather after KOing Jesus Chavez vs current Loma would be appropriate.
I can see Loma taking it, wouldn't be far fetched.
But post Castillo rematch floyd should destroy him easily.

Loma's next match will answer a lot of questions regarding his the full extend of his technical skills even if it is against a smaller guy in Rigo. Both Freddie and uncle roger said it's their bucket list fight to watch last year, so the whole boxing world should be more excited.

What are you guys babbling on about? Both Floyd and Loma held world championship belts at the same weight class in different times. This is a dream match up thread.
So the Mayweather after KOing Jesus Chavez vs current Loma would be appropriate.
I can see Loma taking it, wouldn't be far fetched.
But post Castillo rematch floyd should destroy him easily.

Loma's next match will answer a lot of questions regarding his the full extend of his technical skills even if it is against a smaller guy in Rigo. Both Freddie and uncle roger said it's their bucket list fight to watch last year, so the whole boxing world should be more excited.

I am a not a boxing guy, but I thought they were somewhat comparable in weight.

currently? nope.
They are 3 weight classes apart now, and 2 years ago would have been 4.
After seeing Roman Gonzalez's power disappeared from moving up 3 weight classes, we'll need to see how Loma does after as well.

If Roman Martinez couldn't handle Lomachenko, whats Floyd going to do? Loma, KO 1.

Strange trolling. If you're point is about Lomachenkos resume, well Martinez isn't close to the best name on it.

I wondered how some of the best known technicians would fare against mayweather if they were all magically the same size. Rigo, Lomachenko, Ward, Gonzalez. Loma fights like nobody else Floyd has fought you'd have to go with Floyd since he is far more proven.

Loma fights at 130 so he's definitely smaller. Floyd weighed in at 149 I think for the Conor fight so that's quite a bit of weight for smaller guys.

Floyd used to fight at 130 I believe when he was much younger though so the question could be asked who would win if those versions were to fight.

Strange trolling. If you're point is about Lomachenkos resume, well Martinez isn't close to the best name on it.
He probably is actually.

who is more accomplished than Martinez that Lomachenko has beaten? You guys pretend Lomachenko has accomplished a lot more than he has.

He probably is actually.

who is more accomplished than Martinez that Lomachenko has beaten? You guys pretend Lomachenko has accomplished a lot more than he has.

I don't know much about the lighter weights outside of some of the big names (Lomachenko, Rigondeaux, Garcia, Crawford, and Donaire) but it seemed like Nicholas Walters was a pretty big win. The caveat I remember from that fight is that Walters had a long layover that made him rusty/had bad conditioning. How would you rate his win over Walters compared to some of his other ones?

Back