Could guys like Daley or High sue for wrongful termination? | Page 2

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by lagofala, Nov 14, 2017.

1. KingBeef Purple Belt

KingBeef
    Enter: Miguel Torres and the "Rape Van" scandal...

2. BForrester Green Belt

BForrester
    They aren't employees and, unless their contracts were violated, have no "wrongful termination" avenues to explore. Most states are "at will" employment anyway, so you can't sue for wrongful termination unless it violates you can prove some sort of protected discrimination (race, age, religion, disability).

3. lagofala Brown Belt

lagofala
    Thanks to the responses. As usual there's smarky remarks and good comments. Hey, all fair game.

Looks like all boils down to fighters being independent contractors and Dana White's selective memory.

If i were some of the fighters that were terminated external reasons, I'd feel really hard done by.

4. beastman Red Belt

beastman
    First, you would have to convince the judge that they are employees and not independent contractors.

Second, you'd have to convince the judge that you aren't an at will employee when your contract probably says that Zuffa/UFC/WME can fire you at any time.

Third, you'd have to prove wrongful termination, which isn't easy.

You can file a complaint for just about anything. Surviving motions to dismiss or motions for summary judgment is a different story.

lagofala likes this.
  5. 2DUM2TAP Red Belt

2DUM2TAP
    On top of a Mountain punch dancing my rage away
    He was fighting Bigfoot. He actually likes Bigfoot and considers him a friend. He felt that Big John kept making them fight after it should have been stopped causing him to unnecessarily cause additional damage to Bigfoot.

VVarhead likes this.
  6. Furious77 Tell dat bitch to be cool.

Furious77
    Please show me where the assualt was from the Goddard. An unauthorized person climbed the fence and tackled a fighter before any official could even tend to either fighter. I guess Conor slapping the other official was Goddards fault as well.

7. snugglecakes Green Belt

snugglecakes
    it didn't even happen in the UFC. ALso it's a stretch to even call it a "push." It was more like a baby tap on the back to get somebody's attention like "hey mother fucker look at me when im talkin to you boiiii."

the conclusion... fire connor

8. Coolidge Afro-Centric At Heart

Coolidge
    Sue for what? Are you retarded? Dana White doesn't have some sort of legal obligation to fire McGregor just because he fired Daley and High.

9. orangecuse Gold Belt

orangecuse
    Daley is completely different. But Jason High shoved a ref in the heat of the moment with the ref right on him. Roy ran across the cage to the ref. Conor wasn't even supposed to be in the cage and there was no heat of the moment.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. BRaVo cHoKe Green Belt

BRaVo cHoKe

Remind me again, what happened to Gerald Harris?

[​IMG]

11. Coolidge Afro-Centric At Heart

Coolidge
    "You can’t apologize for that [...] You don’t ever, ever put your f**king hands on a referee, or your feet, for any reason whatso f**king ever. You don’t do it. He needs to be buried. He went over there and he put his foot on his ass to like push him over, you know what I mean? Was flipping him off, yelling whatever. You wanna flip a ref off, there is never, ever a situation where you put your f**king hands on a referee. Ever. You can’t apologize for that." - Dana White

Nice try, though.

12. gunsblazingmode White Belt

gunsblazingmode
    Promotion can sue mcgregor in civil court for damaging reputation, and police/government should sue him in public court.

13. Philtard Brown Belt

Philtard
    I know what you're getting at. But that's disregarding context I severely disagree with the high termination. Daley was the first to do this and what he did under the ufc's spectrum was inexcusable. The high termination was in the aftermath and I think they were still reeling from it. I do not agree with it at all but I do not think it's what some people might think. If we're saying it's race related.

14. Only Here for Attachments I'm on the prowl... for sexy attachments!

Only Here for Attachments
    Daley wouldn't have a case. Jason High might, but I don't think it would really go anywhere

15. NotoriousMillions Yewll dew fookin nuttin

NotoriousMillions
    Charlie and Conor's embrace was 100% consensual. Goddard needs to mind his own business, and he didn't try to remove Conor from the cage. He just randomly shoved and said some shit and walked off. That's assault litlte boy.

16. Furious77 Tell dat bitch to be cool.

Furious77
    it was consensual, but it was premature and against protocal. Conor was the first one in the cage even before....you know what nevermind. You're so in love it doesn't really matter what anyway says.

17. NotoriousMillions Yewll dew fookin nuttin

NotoriousMillions
    Conor is the victim.

18. bambammccoy Black Belt

bambammccoy
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...ason-high-after-shoving-referee-kevin-mulhall
    "That Jason High kid got up and pushed a referee - he's cut," White said. "I'm going to cut him. I look at that the way [Paul] Daley put his hands on his opponent after a fight was over. You don't ever, ever f------- touch a referee, ever. You're done here. He's been apologizing on Twitter, but he's done."

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/06/dana-white-releasing-jason-high-after-ufc-fight-night-42-was-no-brainer
    “I don’t care how mad you are, how upset you are,” White said during a scrum with reporters following a media day for UFC 174 in Vancouver. “You don’t touch a referee ever. Unforgivable. Don’t come back, ever.”

Clearly favoritism. Somebody should tweet the second quote to him repeatedly until he responds. Would be pretty humorous.

Huge Conor fan here but that is clearly biasness.

19. tenniswhiz Steel Belt

tenniswhiz
    I saw a show on prison life once where an inmate was suing the state because the prison only served crunchy peanut butter. They didn’t offer the creamy variety.
    Just when I was mentally dismissing the lawsuit as frivolous, they showed an interview with the inmate. He was missing several teeth and he said “I don’t eat crunchy peanut butter man”.

20. AC1D1K Black Belt

AC1D1K
    big john forced country to beat on his friend, which is unkind