Could guys like Daley or High sue for wrongful termination?

lagofala

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Obviously after this Mcgregor incident he won't be out of the UFC. Jason High and Paul Daley were released and vilified by Dana after their incidents. Are there any grounds to sue the UFC?

Any lawyers in the house?

You can hire a lawyer to write up a lawsuit against anybody for anything. Whether or not that lawsuit goes anywhere is the question.

In this case, a lawsuit would almost certainly not gain any traction.

wouldn't they have done that after Roy Nelson kicked a ref?

When I'm not studying human psychology and body language in regards fight weigh ins I'm reading up on law. I can tell you that Daley can not only sue the UFC for wrongful termination but he can get Dana White imprisoned for discrimination.

Are you missing the obvious fact that the incident didn't happen in the UFC? Conor looked bad, but Bellator too by not being able to contain him in the first place.

Common sense will tell you neither has enough money money to sue the UFC, they have an army of lawyers plus the Paul Daley incident was inexcusable.
Companies have all kinds of clauses in fine print that protects them they can do whatever they want with an employee.

Obviously after this Mcgregor incident he won't be out of the UFC. Jason High and Paul Daley were released and vilified by Dana after their incidents. Are there any grounds to sue the UFC?

Lawyer here. AND WHAT THE FUCK DOES WHAT CONOR DOING AT A BELLATOR EVENT HAS TO DO WITH DALEY CLOCKING A DUDE AFTER THE BELT AT AN UFC EVENT?

Well yes, they could sue since anyone can sue anyone just by hiring a lawyer.

And since the World isn't fair since Conor still in UFC while they are not, this also means they would likely not win theor lawsuit either, especially if it's in U.S courts where in this day and age the ones with the most money, not the ones who are right, will win the verdict they want

Are you missing the obvious fact that the incident didn't happen in the UFC? Conor looked bad, but Bellator too by not being able to contain him in the first place.
This also happened in the UFC. Why wasn't he immediately terminated like High or Daley?

giphy.gif

Daley and Jason High got cut swiftly.

Conor definitely won't be cut, Big Country wasn't cut (UFC pretty much ignored him KICKING a REF in his ass actually lol)..

t0rh2v.gif

Last edited:
Fighters are not employees of the UFC, more like contract labor, meaning, no its not "wrongful termination."

Well, an independent contractor can't be wrongfully terminated in the eyes of the law.

The question would be would a judge consider the relationship to be more like an employee-employer rather than an independent contractor.

Lawyer here. AND WHAT THE FUCK DOES WHAT CONOR DOING AT A BELLATOR EVENT HAS TO DO WITH DALEY CLOCKING A DUDE AFTER THE BELT AT AN UFC EVENT?
Well Dana has disciplined fighters for actions occuring outside the UFC before.

fFirst of all, everyone is a lawyer here.

Second of all, of course fucking not. Conor was not sanctioned in this fight, and he also did not put his hands on the ref first. Roy also wasn't fired either.

Dana's don't hit the ref rule obviously means without reason and while your fighting.

Refs don't get free passes to assault people!

This also happened in the UFC. Why wasn't he immediately terminated like High or Daley?

giphy.gif

I don't know, but Big Country and McCarthy made peace about it pretty quickly IIRC. The attitude and context are also important in how you deal with such case : High and Daley overreacted because they were poor losers, while Big Country complained because he had to inflict unnecessary damage to his opponent.

Yes. They should, and for defamation of character.

I think, as I read earlier, the grey area is that Connor wasnt a liscensed competitor it was more akin to a fan running into the cage. That sort of thing technically is not in the athletic commissions jurisdiction.

Back