Could Butterbean have Beaten Jim Corbett?

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Do you think Butterbean could have beaten Jim Corbett?

Some fight footage of Jim to consider:

That footage isn’t the best for consideration because his opponent is know threat and Jim is hamming it up as he easily kicks his ass. It’s also more of an exhibition.

But here he is in a title fight:

The quality isn’t great, but he’s the one with the darker hair.

Yes.

I'm sure he could have beaten Marvin Hart, Bob Fitzsimmons, and Tommy Burns as well

Fitzsimmons would have immediately hit Butterbean in the solar plexus

hard to say really, could a journeyman heavyweight beat those guys from the 40's to today? Hard to say but I'd say ya.

These questions make others like p4p tough, too.

You throw a guy from today back into those circumstances you also have to dial back his access to the knowledge of the sport, SnC, and diet. With those limitations, these modern guys wouldn't have their distinct advantages. Boxing started out in a raw and imperfect way - which is ironic since it was called a sweet science (if they only knew what we know today, right?). Anyway, I think boxing knowledge peaked in the 40's and 50's. I say this because all the stuff we know today, they knew in those decades. However, they were also, better infighters back then - and that's not because of the black and white footage either. They were just better at it, more often than not. They had smaller gloves, so they learned head movement defended with their forearms out and parried more with their open hands. They also fought more and weren't as carefully matched as they are today. Take away tape, and they had to learn on the fly more. Those things make me think that fighters - particularly from the peak years of the 40's and 50's - would have an advantage as far as instincts, intuition, and overall ability. You take the very best from today and send them back, they would probably do pretty well, but we simply don't have as many that would be as good. The depth was there simply because more people fought back then. There was also only one belt, so that makes the conversation deepen a bit, too.

But, if you just chuck a guy from today into a time machine and throw him back, then different, impossible things happen.

hard to say really, could a journeyman heavyweight beat those guys from the 40's to today? Hard to say but I'd say ya.
Define journeyman. Let’s say you throw Charles Martin in there with Marciano. I don’t care he’s smaller, but I’m still expecting rocky to out tough him and land something flush.

Call me crazy, but I think Butterbean KO’s him.

You throw a guy from today back into those circumstances you also have you also have to dial back his access to the knowledge of the sport, SnC, and diet

Done.

eric_butterbean_esch_470.jpeg

What sort of camp do you have to face butter bean? Go to talladega grab 10 big dudes and say throw haymakers at my guy until you have a cardiac arrest?

Title should be Could Butterbean have EATEN Jim Corbett. And the answer is yes. And then eaten Finito for dessert.

I'm sure he could have landed a big overhand right and taken him out, but if I had to bet money it'd be on Jim Corbett.

Define journeyman. Let’s say you throw Charles Martin in there with Marciano. I don’t care he’s smaller, but I’m still expecting rocky to out tough him and land something flush.
rocky isn't a guy from 1900

Butterbean would have an increased puncher's chance due to his size (weight). That's really not saying much.

The guy I responded to said 40s.
what I meant was I thought journeymen from those eras probably could beat the guys from the turn of the century, they look like rank amateurs.

Back