Costochondral separtion - experiences?

robrr

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys I suffered a costochondral separation in a tournament a few week ago.

Things have stabilised and stopped popping out now which is good!

Anyone else had this? How long was recovery? What was it like getting back on the mats? How long before you could spar properly again?

Cheers :)

yep, it sucks. Recovery was 8 months for me because I kept kinda not letting it heal all the way and it was just nagging. I stayed off the mats for 3+ weeks and then drilled lightly.

After you feel like it's healed, take another week...then when you start drilling and you want to spar, take another week before you spar.

yep, it sucks. Recovery was 8 months for me because I kept kinda not letting it heal all the way and it was just nagging. I stayed off the mats for 3+ weeks and then drilled lightly.

After you feel like it's healed, take another week...then when you start drilling and you want to spar, take another week before you spar.

This. Let it heal all the way where you don't experience any pain during normal day to day movments and then give it two weeks on top of that to be sure. I was out 6 weeks from the initial injury, thought it was ok and my first shrimp I did it got reinjured even worse than the first time. Was out another two months. No bueno.

This. Let it heal all the way where you don't experience any pain during normal day to day movments and then give it two weeks on top of that to be sure. I was out 6 weeks from the initial injury, thought it was ok and my first shrimp I did it got reinjured even worse than the first time. Was out another two months. No bueno.

Ouch...

I was going to try doing some cycling at the gym this week but still getting day to day pain so i'll give it a miss rather than risk re-injuring.

Ouch...

I was going to try doing some cycling at the gym this week but still getting day to day pain so i'll give it a miss rather than risk re-injuring.

Yeah I def would be overly careful with this one just because it takes so long to heal.

Long before I took up bjj I started golfing. I was going to the range 5 days a week and just hitting a stupid amount of balls. I started to get a pain in my ribs but I was a moron and kept pushing and pushing. One day I took a big swing and that was it. Pain dropped me to my knees and could barely move. That one took 10 months to fully heal.

I have done this twice, it really sucks but you have to stay off the mats for a while. I rushed back too soon and mine took 4 months to heal. Another thing that sucks is that one you have this injury, you are more prone to it happening again.

i did this about 7 years ago and took almost the whole summer off to let it heal. it was one of the few injuries i've ever had where it hurt so much i was scared to re-injure it.

give it at least 6 weeks, but 2-3 months is ideal.

Back