News Cory Sandhagen vs Umar Nurmagomedov set to headline UFC Abu Dhabi on August 3

Who wins?

• Total voters
Sherdog: Umar hasn’t fought anyone

Vegas: we’re making Umar a -300 favorite vs Sandhagen

Yeah we should want to see Umar get tested and only the top half of the division is going to do that. Having Umar face Rob Font or Mario Bautista types wouldn't be much of a test.

I suppose rather than shooting Umar straight to the top they could've had him face someone like Song Yadong though.

Yeah we should want to see Umar get tested and only the top half of the division is going to do that. Having Umar face Rob Font or Mario Bautista types wouldn't be much of a test.

I suppose rather than shooting Umar straight to the top they could've had him face someone like Song Yadong though.

Uh, having him fight guys like Mario would be a test.

It's easy to look good when you're fighting really low level comp, which is only what Umar has faced outside of Raoni, who is just ok. Mario ran through Kelleher quicker than Umar did.

No reason at all why Umar shouldn't have had to work his way up the rankings. Instead he's somehow 9th with no ranked wins and coming off having to hold down a regional guy with shit grappling who chinned him lol.

Cory continues to prove he's a bad ass, fighting down the rankings, giving anyone a shot and letting them prove their worth. I know a lot of clowns want to give him shit for his performance against Font where he primarily grappled, but he tore his tricep and still found a way to win, idiots be damned. This is a tough fight for him.

You have to understand that ufc is setting up a big fight between umar vs O’Malley. It’s the mini Khabib vs Conor. Sandhagen and Umar had previous arranging so there’s a bit of history. Sandhagen is off a lackluster performance so he can’t have a TS with Merab being there. He needs another fight. He openly said he wants umar. Umar said he wants Cory. So agreement on both sides.

And to people saying it’s an undeserving fight for Umar being ranked 9. Remember that O’Malley was ranked 10th and got to fight #1 Petr Yan, got a controversial decision, and then took the #1 spot leapfrogging everyone.

It's easy to look good when you're fighting really low level comp, which is only what Umar has faced outside of Raoni, who is just ok. Mario ran through Kelleher quicker than Umar did.

No reason at all why Umar shouldn't have had to work his way up the rankings. Instead he's somehow 9th with no ranked wins and coming off having to hold down a regional guy with shit grappling who chinned him lol.

I'm generally a fan of fast tracking prospects who show a lot of promise, but one of Umar's fights really should have AT LEAST been against a fringe ranked guy first before getting a match like this. Merit or lack of merit aside though -- I'm very interested in this fight.

Last edited:
Love that Umar is 9th while having beaten absolutely no one ranked lol. That last name of his is really doing work.

Hope Cory flogs this whiney, entitled crotch diver.
He’s fighting someone ranked, top 3 in the division. If Sandhagen washes Nurmagomedov then the hate can be warranted that he didn’t deserve the shot at someone so high in the rankings, but if Umar dismantles Sandhagen? What’s next in the goal moving agenda? He didn’t beat 5+ ranked fighters in the top 5?you barely see that , Pantoja just fought the number 10th ranked in his division.

At this point, just enjoy the fights. Rankings literally don’t mean shit, nowadays the fighters are so skilled that anyone in the top 15 can beat each other especially 155 and under.

Similar circumstances to Khabib, Islam, O’Malley, Pereira.

There is only a few who wrecks their division towards a title shot or the higher echelon of their division. Holloway, Pantoja, GSP are the only notable Names I can think of, other than that it’s all circumstances

I just don't get why everyone involved is so insistent on Sandhagen in particular fighting down against #9 while being ranked #2 on a 3 fight winning streak and totally already qualified for a title shot

Yes I'm a Sandhagen fan worried that he might get outgrappled and lose the chance to ever try for the title again, but I really don't understand why they're so insistent on this specific matchup. Chito and Song Yadong just lost, why not have them fight down?

He’s fighting someone ranked, top 3 in the division. If Sandhagen washes Nurmagomedov then the hate can be warranted that he didn’t deserve the shot at someone so high in the rankings, but if Umar dismantles Sandhagen? What’s next in the goal moving agenda? He didn’t beat 5+ ranked fighters in the top 5?you barely see that , Pantoja just fought the number 10th ranked in his division.

At this point, just enjoy the fights. Rankings literally don’t mean shit, nowadays the fighters are so skilled that anyone in the top 15 can beat each other especially 155 and under.

Similar circumstances to Khabib, Islam, O’Malley, Pereira.

There is only a few who wrecks their division towards a title shot or the higher echelon of their division. Holloway, Pantoja, GSP are the only notable Names I can think of, other than that it’s all circumstances

Yeh, he's fighting someone ranked in the top 3 now, and if he wrecks Cory, then obviously he deserves to be up there, but that's not the point here, and I'm not moving goalposts for Umar specifically. It applies to everyone.

I don't need to see him beat 5+ ranked fighters in the top 5, and yes, you don't see that. You know what else you don't see? A fighter suddenly moving up the ranks to 9th off of absolutely 0 ranked wins and then skipping almost the entire division and fighting number 3.

Alex got to do a big jump from Bruno to 4th Strickland, but Alex was unranked coming into that. They weren't giving him some bullshit 9th rank off no ranked wins like they have Umar.

The Pantoja comparison doesn't work. They needed someone for Pantoja to fight in Brazil and the division was in a stuck spot with some fights falling through here and there and Kape failing to pan out, which is what they clearly wanted. There weren't many options. Umar has had plenty of options. He could have fought a couple of guys in the 15-5 range. He never did that. All he's done was get undeserved ranks while fighting no ranks and whining that the champ and the top 5 won't suddenly bow down and fight him until someone at the top finally agreed to fight him.

I just don't get why everyone involved is so insistent on Sandhagen in particular fighting down against #9 while being ranked #2 on a 3 fight winning streak and totally already qualified for a title shot

Yes I'm a Sandhagen fan worried that he might get outgrappled and lose the chance to ever try for the title again, but I really don't understand why they're so insistent on this specific matchup. Chito and Song Yadong just lost, why not have them fight down?
There is no hype for Sandhagen, plus his last fight was boring wasn’t so exciting.

you have to look at the champion at Bantmaneeight at the moment, they aren’t going to match O’Malley with a someone who just had a boring forgettable bout, that is why Vera got the shot before Sandhagen plus given Vera & O’Malleys history it was a easy bout to book.

If Sandhagen wants a shot at the title he needs to not be boring and try something for people yo want him to get a shot.

Holloway, at UFC 300 with a great performance just surpassed everyone aside from Arman at LW. Just one GREAT MEMORABLE PERFOMANCE

The UFC is all performances based, it’s obvious.

Fighters like Sandhagen are doing themselves a disservice by just winning without leaving something memorable or a great performance. He needs to leave a stamp against Umar that leaves no one to doubt he’s next after Merab.

I’m not going to fighter bash, but most fighters nowadays are just being *, They believe just winning will get them the recognition, Sandhagen needs to do something to stand out from the other cookie cutter fighters. Otherwise Jose Aldo will probably get a shot before him at this poi)t

Love this fight. Can't wait to see it. Umar will shut up a lot of doubters.

I'm generally a fan of fast tracking prospects who show a lot of promise, but one of Umar's fights really should have AT LEAT been against a fringe ranked guy first before getting a match like this. Merit or lack of merit aside though -- I'm very interested in this fight.
I agree, but obviously his potential star power with his last name could be huge for a lighter weight class.

If he somehow soundly beats Cory, i don't think anyone maybe outside of Merab can beat him.

Back