Cortney Casey got robbed against Michelle Waterson

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dankoz, Apr 15, 2018.

1. teamfox223

teamfox223 Brown Belt

Close fight I expected Casey to win thought she won it but close fight can make a case for both fighters. Casey been unlucky this last 2 fights maybe move to 125 ?

2. Gambit MMA

Gambit MMA Black Belt

maybe she should work on being able to defend a takedown, let alone from a girl thats way smaller then her. seriously, waterson looked 2 weight classes smaller and a simple single leg had this girl on her ass like nothing. doesnt appear shes trained ANY wrestling whatsoever. kinda pathetic when u got that size and strength advantage in a fight.

Lemmy and SeverianB like this.
  3. Daniel4802

Daniel4802 Brown Belt

I question Casey's intelligence. She had the reach advantage yet gave that up to clinch which made her victim to a few easy takedowns.

Lemmy likes this.
  4. SeverianB

SeverianB Hiding in bushes in the 505. Platinum Member

What fight were those media members watching? Dipshits.

Waterson DOMINATED Casey :
    61 to 36 signifigant strikes
    3 takedowns to *none*
    7 minutes vs. 30 seconds of top control.

On the ground, Casey had multiple failed sub attempts. Waterson had multiple successful ground and pound strikes.

1st round was close. 2nd and 3rd were all Waterson.

Deal with it.

Lemmy and Kaybee like this.
  5. SeverianB

I think the fact Waterson not only got a takedown, but almost put Caseys head through the canvas with a movie-quality GnP strike is what won her that round.

6. The Natural Born Runner

The Natural Born Runner Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card

If I was scoring that fight I would have scored it 30-27 to Casey.

I'll tell you why...

If you spend most of the round on top of me but I almost submit you 2, 3 or 4 times, I won the round.

Too many judges have boners for wrestling.

7. Dankoz

Dankoz Green Belt

Well somehow every single judge saw Casey as a winner of 3rd. 1st round was absolutely ridiculous judging. There is absolutely no way to give that round for Waterson. She got knocked down, eat at least five big shots and didn't really land anything which causes damage.

8. ticho123

ticho123 Black Belt

Didnt pay perfect attention but Im inclined to agree. However Waterson is cute so Im fine with it. When it comes to WMMA Im an awful type of fan.

9. Askafan

Askafan Brown Belt

I'm a long time fan of Cortney Casey mainly because I admire her willingness to fight anybody, anywhere, anytime. A very close fight but I scored it for Waterson.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  10. Sjb1888

Sjb1888 Silver Belt

It's just another case of take downs being scored to highly.

11. sickness666

sickness666 White Belt

Casey had the reach advantage and wasn´t able to use it. As a former soccer player I think she should be able to chop Watersons legs in half. TDD was a mess, only one effective strike in the first, only one effective sub attempt with only seconds left. Waterson controlled her on the mat, good gnp.
    Summary: you can argue it was close, but not a robbery at all!
    In her last fight against Herrig I had her winning, but don´t leave it in judges hands....

Lemmy likes this.
  12. Dankoz

Dankoz Green Belt

There has been way worse robberies in history and fight as a whole was close, but i just feel like Casey did more than enough in that first round to secure unanimous decision.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  13. SeverianB

Casey has power in her hands and now she is training with Dern, has taken her already good ground game to "excellent" level. Waterson is immune to armbars. Almost any other fighter would have submitted.
    Casey's one weakness is wrestling. There is hope for her. Waterson didn't learn wrestling until a couple of years ago. No reason Casey can't.

14. sickness666

sickness666 White Belt

I didn´t question her power, I know she is a good fighter and her submission game is always evolving. But Waterson did a good job to avoid a lot of damage, controlled her, had a good groundgame overall and her flexibility is a thing of beauty. Had no problem with Waterson winning that fight.

PurpleStorm and SeverianB like this.
  15. TrueBias

TrueBias Red Belt

The one that is intensely fuckable should have won and did.

If we are going to have to see wmma, id prefer them fuckable, thanks.

16. Roids

Roids Purple Belt

Wasn't close to finishing her, apart from locking in a bunch of submissions? Michelle spent most of the fight defending subs, and getting owned standing, there is no way she won the fight.

17. Roids

Roids Purple Belt

Pretty stupid comparison. A missed punch does nothing, but getting someone in a sub is more like landing a punch that doesn't KO. It takes skill, and technique plus you are controlling your opponent and beating them up in a sense.

leto1776 likes this.
  18. Juchi

Juchi Yellow Belt

While I had it for Waterson due to # of strikes, takedowns and ground control, I too thoroughly enjoyed the fight, and would not have been shocked if it went the other way. Casey threw more, but connected less but hit harder. She tried numerous submission attempts but all but the last were unsuccessful. It's all subjective how much weight you give all of the above.

Just curious, did you see the Angela Lee/Mei Yamaguchi fight? Far more submission attempts by both fighters, repeated reversals of position, a near KO but overall less striking. It was a 5 rounder, and I personally found it more exciting.

PurpleStorm likes this.
  19. Juchi

Juchi Yellow Belt

20. Juchi

Juchi Yellow Belt

So how many strikes is a failed submission attempt worth? Is a kick to the leg worth a strike to the head? Waterson had about 50% more significant strikes than Casey, although some of Casey's were more damaging. I can easily see how the judges came to a split decision. It just depends on what they give more weight to and unfortunately is not clearly laid out in the judging guidelines. Boxing is a lot less involved in judging, and you still find huge disparities there as well.