Correct left hook technique

mrv

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys I've developed a pain in my left shoulder when hitting my wrecking ball bag and I'm wondering if it's down to my technique. When kickboxing I was instructed to throw the left hook with palm facing me not downwards however Freddie roach instructs to throw with palm facing downwards on YouTube, which is the "correct" technique?

Different depending on long hook or short

Your shoulder might be in an unstable position as well, or it might just be a volume problem. It's always a good idea to work on some shoulder strength/stability when you are doing your S&C (bandwork, external rotator work, serratus work, small dumbbells for the delts so on are some of the options). Also, try to engage your lats when throwing the hook to keep the shoulder more stable. See if it feels better.

Your shoulder might be in an unstable position as well, or it might just be a volume problem. It's always a good idea to work on some shoulder strength/stability when you are doing your S&C (bandwork, external rotator work, serratus work, small dumbbells for the delts so on are some of the options). Also, try to engage your lats when throwing the hook to keep the shoulder more stable. See if it feels better.

^^^^^^^ yep

Just doing light band resistance drills made my shoulders so much more stable

Thanks chaps really appreciate the advice, the shoulder pain gets that bad I have to stop but I only get the pain when I lift my arm for more than a few seconds and it's only my left. Another thing I've noticed is if I put my guard up and "hunch" forwards my upper back/traps start aching which is also doing my head in

Thanks chaps really appreciate the advice, the shoulder pain gets that bad I have to stop but I only get the pain when I lift my arm for more than a few seconds and it's only my left. Another thing I've noticed is if I put my guard up and "hunch" forwards my upper back/traps start aching which is also doing my head in
Upper back/traps is probably just from fatigue. You are most likely elevating your shoulder blades a great deal when you hunch. Try to relax your shoulders, and hunch less (you can still protect yourself).

In regards to the shoulder, if it keeps getting worse when you are throwing the hook lay off the arm for a few days untill it subsides. If you keep going and going into pain, increasing it, it might last longer than it should. Anyway, it's a pretty common thing so hopefully it goes away soon. With the things in mind mentioned in this thread.

I honestly think throwing punches properly will fuck your shoulders up more than throwing them incorrectly
If you learn to use hips and shoulders to snap your shoulders and generate power like you're supposed to that's a tremendous amount of force going through your shoulder joint every punch you throw
Everybody I train with tells me I punch very hard, I use a lot of shoulder snap and shoulder/hip rotation and my shoulders are a total mess when I box a lot
Just my two cents anyway

Hi guys I've developed a pain in my left shoulder when hitting my wrecking ball bag and I'm wondering if it's down to my technique. When kickboxing I was instructed to throw the left hook with palm facing me not downwards however Freddie roach instructs to throw with palm facing downwards on YouTube, which is the "correct" technique?
maybe you overtrained? you could be throwing everything perfect, and just not have your body built up for it? rest might be the answer. idk how long you've trained or how much you've built up your body though. so i'll give you that.

palm up or palm down are both correct, comes down to preferences.

Palm down is to the head only. where as palm up can go head or body. I dont punch the bag palm down to prevent injury.

i had the same issue, went to a therapist and it was the bicep tendon. got work done (broke up the scar tissue, deep tissue massage, active release, etc), they showed me some stretches and exercises as well.

Thanks chaps, I've narrowed the pain down to the top edge of the medial deltoid and the short head bicep. If I press both points I feel pain especially with the bicep so I'm wondering if these points are the cause of the full aching I feel when hitting the bag.

My left shoulder and upper back area inc traps hurt when I raise my arm horizontal for more than about 10 seconds

maybe you overtrained? you could be throwing everything perfect, and just not have your body built up for it? rest might be the answer. idk how long you've trained or how much you've built up your body though. so i'll give you that.

5 years kickboxing 4 years boxing do long enough!

i had the same issue, went to a therapist and it was the bicep tendon. got work done (broke up the scar tissue, deep tissue massage, active release, etc), they showed me some stretches and exercises as well.

Yep I think it's this too now, especially after reading this;

Biceps tendonitis symptoms include:

• Pain at the front of your shoulder that usually worsens with activity, especially overhead lifting
  • Pain, or an ache that radiates down your upper arm bone
  • An intermittent snapping or popping sound in your shoulder when you move it

Back