Cornell's long lost twin: Richie Kotzen

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by Teppodama, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Teppodama

Teppodama Black Belt

Ran across this concert footage and was impressed, very impressed. Guys been around a long while and the resemblance to Chris both vocally and musically is striking. It may sound heretical, but I'd say this guys voice is a bit better in the falsettos and his guitar musicianship is obviously better.

I recommend the song at 1:11:27. Outstanding. The very 1st song of the video though is probably the most Cornell like and equally kick ass.

Leonard Haid likes this.
  2. Leonard Haid

Leonard Haid Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream

Had never heard of him. He's fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Teppodama likes this.
  3. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator Senior Moderator Administrator

His work with The Winery Dogs arguably put him on the map, although he has had an extensive solo career before then. Sure, he took over for Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big, but that band lost its soul when Gilbert left. Digression - Mr. Big's new album was surprisingly solid.

Teppodama likes this.
  4. Teppodama

Teppodama Black Belt

He also did a short one album stint with Poison. I would guess around the time C.C. Deville left/was fired from the group the first time. Ran across an impressive cover of The Temptations - I Know I'm Losing You. It's more in line with the rock style cover The Faces did of the song but excellent either way. Was during one of his early solo periods.

5. jrams

jrams Black Belt

I was surprised he grew so much musically since the garbage he did in the 90s with Greg Howe. I hadn't thought about him in 10ish years, saw he was coming to town and went to see him. Surprised it wasn't the 90 minutes of shredding I was expecting but a nice blues set.

Teppodama likes this.
  6. [insert_name_here]

[insert_name_here] RIP Kid Yamamoto

He Stole Rikki Rockett’s wife… and that’s what led to his dismissal from the group.

He was this hotshot 21 year old guitar virtuoso, who was sleeping w/ Rockett’s wife behind his back.

Hate the Cornell comparisons, btw… Two very different Artist’s from opposite sides of the country.

Where Cornell was the better song writer, Kotzen is the better musician. Do you wanna hear Kotzen do a Cornell song?
    You’ll be disappointed…

WaylonMercy5150 and Drain Bamage like this.
  7. Drain Bamage

Drain Bamage Brown Belt

He's definitely a badass guitar player but comparing him to Cornell? That's just unnecessary.

[insert_name_here] likes this.
  8. Teppodama

Teppodama Black Belt

His current vocals are well within the arena of comparison with Cornell and its not blasphemy to make that comparison.

9. [insert_name_here]

It’s a common occurrence for those who discover Kotzen’s voice for the first time...

You’ll realize, once you dig deeper into his catalogue, that he is a very different artist and nothing like Cornell beyond a vocal similarity at times… anyway… Enjoy!

10. Teppodama

Teppodama Black Belt

I agree he's different you can easily see that in the majority of his music I will agree. As far as his voice, it's not Chris but it does evoke strong similarities to Chris and if you liked that sound you might just like Richie as well was my point.

11. [insert_name_here]

Yes, I agree… I am a huge fan of both Artist’s. I am often pushing his music on my friends… Him, Joe Bonamassa, Black Country Communion and Rival Sons seem to be the usual recommendations for modern day Rock and or Blues Acts.

Teppodama likes this.
  12. WaylonMercy5150

WaylonMercy5150 Yellow Card Yellow Card

13. Voltron

Voltron Green Belt

He is ok, but not even closed to cornell's.
    Cornell is one of a kind and the more time it passes the more you will miss and appreciate Cornell.