Cormier vs Lewis: HOW POINTLESS

Speak for yourself. Black Beast is very likable and almost always has entertaining fights.

It's a weird fight, akin to one you'd have in a video game as a "what if?" but I'm down. Kind of has a Pride vibe to it.

genuinely can't recall worse match making off the top of my head. Cormier has a few fights left and this is a massive waste. Nobody is excited for this match up. 0/10 UFC, thanks.
UFC matchmaking has been rubbish lately. Sometimes it is because the fighters act like divas but lately it's been beyond lazy.
For a start, they keep putting Mark Hunt in unfavourable matches just to stick it to him. The man had a few fights left on his contract and they put him up against Blaydes and Olienik. With the popularity of Hunt, they should've given him iconic fights we may never get to see. Mark Hunt and Andrei Arlovski have never fought each other somehow. We could've also had Mark Hunt Vs Ngannou.
Speaking of Blaydes, he has been shafted here. If there is one person to genuinely test DC it is Curtis Blaydes. Khabib even said in some interview somewhere that Blaydes is DC's toughest HW test.
Rematches should only happen if there is no other fight to make. Cub Swanson Vs Frankie Edgar 2 was a waste of a fight. Chris Weidman Vs Luke Rockhold 2 is a waste too.
UFC are just capitalising on Derrick Lewis' short lived fame since so many were watching the PPV for Conor. Wouldn't be surprised if the UFC 230 barely hits 6 figures.

UFC matchmaking has been rubbish lately. Sometimes it is because the fighters act like divas but lately it's been beyond lazy.
For a start, they keep putting Mark Hunt in unfavourable matches just to stick it to him. The man had a few fights left on his contract and they put him up against Blaydes and Olienik. With the popularity of Hunt, they should've given him iconic fights we may never get to see. Mark Hunt and Andrei Arlovski have never fought each other somehow. We could've also had Mark Hunt Vs Ngannou.
Speaking of Blaydes, he has been shafted here. If there is one person to genuinely test DC it is Curtis Blaydes. Khabib even said in some interview somewhere that Blaydes is DC's toughest HW test.
Rematches should only happen if there is no other fight to make. Cub Swanson Vs Frankie Edgar 2 was a waste of a fight. Chris Weidman Vs Luke Rockhold 2 is a waste too.
UFC are just capitalising on Derrick Lewis' short lived fame since so many were watching the PPV for Conor. Wouldn't be surprised if the UFC 230 barely hits 6 figures.

I mean the olynik fight was just to throw a name to main event the
Russia card — it was originally werdum

He was a huge favorite and it was a very winnable fight — hardly a “bad match up” — should of been a easy days work / paycheck

Ufc needs to make $$ and I think they realized absolutely nobody was going to pay for the shit on 230 and they needed a short term solution and paid 2 guys enough to come to the table

I am still completely amazed how Lewis got this far considering he is severely limited both in technique and physical ability. Of course he has power but his conditioning sucks, he doesn't seem very fast or flexible.

Whatever, I expect DC to hurt him early with dirty boxing and then just grapplefuck him.

That being said, imagine undefeated HW DC losing to this guy <36><DCrying>

I mean the olynik fight was just to throw a name to main event the
Russia card — it was originally werdum

He was a huge favorite and it was a very winnable fight — hardly a “bad match up” — should of been a easy days work / paycheck

Ufc needs to make $$ and I think they realized absolutely nobody was going to pay for the shit on 230 and they needed a short term solution and paid 2 guys enough to come to the table
Wait, you thought Hunt was a huge favourite against Oliynyk? I certainly didn't. I was very confident Oliynyk would take him down and submit him. The blueprint is there for any HW who prefers not to stand and bang.
I don't know why UFC head office didn't ask Curtis Blaydes for the shot and had someone replace Ngannou fight.
Then again, they're both fighting in Beijing so it could be a case of wasting visa costs and both men having paid for hotels/training camps etc in China.

DC should easily beat Lewis but -650 no thanks.

This fight would be more interesting if Lewis had a full camp i.e. cardio.

Wait, you thought Hunt was a huge favourite against Oliynyk? I certainly didn't. I was very confident Oliynyk would take him down and submit him. The blueprint is there for any HW who prefers not to stand and bang.
I don't know why UFC head office didn't ask Curtis Blaydes for the shot and had someone replace Ngannou fight.
Then again, they're both fighting in Beijing so it could be a case of wasting visa costs and both men having paid for hotels/training camps etc in China.

Hunt opened at like -180 and closed at -120 so he was the favorite going in

Blaydes wouldn’t take the fight — doesn’t make sense for him —he’s the only current contender under 35

why take a short notice fight with dc when you can just wait him out to retire along in a couple more fights

Hunt opened at like -180 and closed at -120 so he was the favorite going in

Blaydes wouldn’t take the fight — doesn’t make sense for him —he’s the only current contender under 35

why take a short notice fight with dc when you can just wait him out to retire along in a couple more fights
My word. People saw Hunt as a favourite over a submission guy? Well, you never know with the HW division. They all have a punchers chance.
I'm a fan of Mark Hunt and I know many are fond of him. I would've matched him up with other KO artists. Mark Hunt is basically a K1 guy and is only in UFC for the sake of good pay.

That does make a lot of sense for Blaydes. After DC leaves, he will likely be the best HW contender. Him and Stipe, that is.

Lewis deserves the shot, check his resume.

genuinely can't recall worse match making off the top of my head. Cormier has a few fights left and this is a massive waste. Nobody is excited for this match up. 0/10 UFC, thanks.
Do you prefer the Wmma fight they were willing to give us ?

This Lewis guy, every time I think he's gonna loose because he's not that good, every time he almost does and then knocks the other guy out.
I hope he does the same thing in his next match, just for the hell of it.

Imagine someone lacking in skill as much as Black Beast being the HW champ of the world.

He'd literally be the worst HW champ in the history of the UFC, even worse than any SEG era HW champ.
If he's so bad, why is he the #2 ranked UFC heavyweight? Lewis is no joke and he has had nothing handed to him in this division. The only more deserving guys, in the heavyweight division, right now, are, the REAL world champion Stipe and Blaydes (who's pretty much the sam langford of the modern era; that guy's going to be on murderers row, for the rest of his career). I think, it's questionable, that this fight is happening, not but a month after Lewis just fought and specifically clarified that he didn't feel confident about fighting for the belt, though; Nevertheless, Lewis is a legitimate contender and shows that fighting is more than just some coaches and nutritionist trying to tell you how to be tough, because you can't do it, on your own.

Better than Brock vs. DC at least where Lewis is a divisionally relevant person. And I was and am a Lesnar fan but that would have just been such a cheap cash grab of a matchup.

Lewis may seem overmatched but he’s a solid HW with good finishing power and durability, and I’d rather see the belt defended than not. We only have a brief time before DC retires, better to see him make the walk a few more times than just wait for the one big marquee matchup and then call it a (legendary) career.

People are too hard on Lewis. He's definitely not the most skilled fighter on the roster, but he's not some bum. He's got mean KO power throughout the entire fight, making him always dangerous. He's also got a lot of heart, and actually throws some decent kicks for a guy his size. I think he's more athletic than he's given credit for. Just because a guy doesn't have the best skills doesn't mean he's not effective. He's KO'd a lot of fighters who are more skilled and have better technique. You can't deny the results he's getting...

Totally agree.

If DC doesn't win this the hw landscape will get really weird.
Lewis vs Lesnar would definitely sell though. Probably better than Cormier vs Lesnar - Lesnar would actually be the favorite, more than likely. Lesnar/Carwin all over again.

I agree it's a bad matchup, but I will watch. Lewis has been smashing people and if he catches DC with one of those bombs and KOs him, people won't be talking anymore. Bet you thought Volkov had him beat as did I and most and then BOOM!

whatever this fight is, derick is still on a legit streak and he did knocked out the last upcoming hw contender who was probably getting the shot after beating lewis. fuck it let the beast bang<{JustBleed}>

Back