Cormier vs Lewis: HOW POINTLESS

I think it's just a way of rewarding Lewis for making himself marketable despite being a subpar contender. He's gonna make some good money and it will probably be the peak achievement of his career, win or lose.

Lewis is on a 3 fight win streak against the number 4,5, and 9 ranked HWs with 2 of those 3 wins being knockouts. You guys dont respect his skillset but hes earned the title shot
This. Everybody was excited for Brock's gifted title shot but complain when Lewis actually earns it.

This. Everybody was excited for Brock's gifted title shot but complain when Lewis actually earns it.
The only complain is that Lewis himself said he's not ready. I'm not saying "Let's complain." but I don't frown upon the opposite.

I hope for a glorious Lewis victory.

So let me get this straight - The legit #1 ranked Heavyweight fighter shouldn't be getting a shot at the title because it's a bad match and they have no chance?

At the same time, people flip out over guys not deserving title shots and getting cracks or booking fights just for entertainment. Which way does everyone want it?

I agree that Lewis doesn't have much of a chance but he earned it. Give him his shot.

If Lewis KOs Cormier I'll retire my account

quote it and tag it. Not happening folks

Imagine someone lacking in skill as much as Black Beast being the HW champ of the world.

He'd literally be the worst HW champ in the history of the UFC, even worse than any SEG era HW champ.

That would be kinda awesome.
It could not happen to a better owner than WME and Dana.

He's won 9 of his last 10 and keeps beating who they put in front of him. I'm glad they're giving guys title shots who actually deserve it.

I think Lewis wants to retire and only plans on fighting 2-3 more times. He knows he is going to need back surgery; and after that happens, his fighting days will most likely be over. He (understandably) wants to get paid before he retires. For him, the best way to get that nice pay day is to fight Brock. The second best way is to get beat up by Cormier for a few minutes. I'm not saying it's a good thing for the sport, for the UFC, or for HW...but it's easy to understand how this fight came about.

Jarl

He's won 9 of his last 10 and keeps beating who they put in front of him. I'm glad they're giving guys title shots who actually deserve it.

Gus got a title shot after losing a fight.
He is now getting yet another one, fights once every second year.
But Lewis puts in work and wins and somehow its meaningless /pointless to give him a shot.

I think Lewis wants to retire and only plans on fighting 2-3 more times. He knows he is going to need back surgery; and after that happens, his fighting days will most likely be over. He (understandably) wants to get paid before he retires. For him, the best way to get that nice pay day is to fight Brock. The second best way is to get beat up by Cormier for a few minutes. I'm not saying it's a good thing for the sport, for the UFC, or for HW...but it's easy to understand how this fight came about.

Jarl

Good for the sport?
Its better than Brock getting an instant title fight vs DC. He is 0-2-1 in his last 3 fights his last win was Carwin in 2010.
Its better than having CM Punk in the UFC.
Its better than that (now canceled Sija Eubanks vs Valentina title fight).

i don't even expect a minute on the feet
dc takes him down early first round, stays there
maybe lewis survives - second round same thing, ref stops the gnp

hope I'm wrong, would prefer an exciting fight, dumb matchup

Derrick Lewis could actually win this. A healthy Cormier would probably smash him like he did Bigfoot but his hand is messed and it's a short camp so his cardio won't be as sharp as usual and his boxing offence may be hindered.

Lewis may not be "skilled" but he knows how to find chins and knock people out even while way more gassed out than his opponent, he's good at using brute strength to get back to his feet and Cormier is amazing on the feet but tends to get tagged and let his defence slip every once in a while.

I'm expecting Cormier to choke out Lewis with a RNC or finish him with some late strikes but I'm not counting out Lewis getting his ass beat for 3 rounds and getting a 3rd or 4th round finish.

He'd literally be the worst HW champ in the history of the UFC, even worse than any SEG era HW champ.

That would be true if you didn't know who Maurice Smith was.
The DC vs Lewis is a waster of time buy Lewis is the UFC's #2 HW and the fight is WAY better than Maurice Smith vs Tank Abbott, the only fight I can recall that was stopped due to a fighter gassing out.You should probably watch it.

It's a mismatch. Not the worst one, but a bad one. I agree, it's not compelling

HW is a joke. You have the "champ" admitting Stipe is too hard so they are going to put fatboy who has no skills in. I cant stand HW or LHW even since JJ left. 99% D level athletes.

Derrick Lewis could actually win this. A healthy Cormier would probably smash him like he did Bigfoot but his hand is messed and it's a short camp so his cardio won't be as sharp as usual and his boxing offence may be hindered.

Lewis may not be "skilled" but he knows how to find chins and knock people out even while way more gassed out than his opponent, he's good at using brute strength to get back to his feet and Cormier is amazing on the feet but tends to get tagged and let his defence slip every once in a while.

I'm expecting Cormier to choke out Lewis with a RNC or finish him with some late strikes but I'm not counting out Lewis getting his ass beat for 3 rounds and getting a 3rd or 4th round finish.
I don't see any realistic way he wins this. DC will take him down, easily. He will try to use brute strength, you're right, but even if he gets up he'll be gassed after one or two and won't be able to get back up, I think possibly within one round. I then see DC stopping him with ground and pound or a sub, whichever comes first. I think ground and pound.

DC already fought a guy who was hoping to land an overhand right when he fought Roy Nelson.

The differences between Roy and Lewis are that Lewis is bigger, but Roy times his punches better and throws them faster, and had the ground game to survive three rounds. I honestly think Roy was the tougher fight. A guy hoping to land a big punch who doesn't have Roy's good timing will have a hard time landing it on Cormier. I just don't see him having a longer reach and being physically bigger frame-wise as being enough to let him land what Roy couldn't.

Obviously, I think Cormier could win easily on the feet too, but I expect him to take the surest path to victory and mostly strike just to mix up his takedown attempts.

I don't see any realistic way he wins this. DC will take him down, easily. He will try to use brute strength, you're right, but even if he gets up he'll be gassed after one or two and won't be able to get back up, I think possibly within one round. I then see DC stopping him with ground and pound or a sub, whichever comes first. I think ground and pound.

DC already fought a guy who was hoping to land an overhand right when he fought Roy Nelson.

The differences between Roy and Lewis are that Lewis is bigger, but Roy times his punches better and throws them faster, and had the ground game to survive three rounds. I honestly think Roy was the tougher fight. A guy hoping to land a big punch who doesn't have Roy's good timing will have a hard time landing it on Cormier. I just don't see him having a longer reach and being physically bigger frame-wise as being enough to let him land what Roy couldn't.

Obviously, I think Cormier could win easily on the feet too, but I expect him to take the surest path to victory and mostly strike just to mix up his takedown attempts.
Derrick Ko'd Volkov and Roy couldn't, he also battered Roy. They both are power strikers but Lewis is far more effective and powerful. I can see why you don't think he can win but pretty much all of his wins proves why you can't count him out.

He'd have beaten Maurice Smith so no.
DC vs Lewis is bad but it's in a different league to Smith vs Tank.

People have conveniently short memories.

I hope your kidding — mo Smith was a world class kick boxer

B.B. got knocked out by Matt Mitrione , Shawn Jordan and didn’t answer the bell to hunt — all he is a big power puncher

Mo smith finishes him in under 5 minutes

Stupid fight

black beasts last 3 wins have been
1. Getting lit up by volkov for 14 and half minutes and finally landing a big shot — if volkov had any brains he would of taken it to the ground final 1 min to secure easy win — he was hitting td at ease
2. Staring contest with nganou
3. Tagging tybura after losing 2 rounds

Very very beeatable fighter — couldn’t stop volkov tds —dc takes him down and finishes him in r1 without breaking much of a sweat

Last edited:
Back