Cops arrest 2 black men for no reason in Starbucks

well, we dont know that they were holding up a table and we do know they werent there for hours. so that point is irrelevant. we do know that as many as 5 customers came to their defense saying they were not acting out in any way and were not bothering anyone.

if they were told to leave, they should have left and raised hell in social media. they would have got the same result and starbucks would have egg on their face. but their handling of the situation does not change the fact that racism is the reason this all started. and anyone who says otherwise has completely buried their head in the sand. and this is coming from a guy in here that the left leaning poster love to call racist

you asked
next time i go to a restaurant and wait inside for my friends to show up, should i expect to be thrown out?

and i answered you, you asked about what" you" should do then you responded with the story you mentioned.

Do you agree with me on my original post? that you should give up your table and not put yourself or the restaurant in an awkward position?

i said a starbucks, not "places." starbucks never ask their customers to leave that are not causing problems. its their business model

and i get how the law works. read what i said in another post. they should have left and dealt with the situation later. however, if you want to pretend they were asked to leave for any other reason than they were black, by all means keep lying to yourself.

So why is your OP mostly directed at the cops and saying they should be punished for doing what they are supposed to?

you asked
next time i go to a restaurant and wait inside for my friends to show up, should i expect to be thrown out?

and i answered you, you asked about what" you" should do then you responded with the story you mentioned.

Do you agree with me on my original post? that you should give up your table and not put yourself or the restaurant in an awkward position?

Honestly, if I was at a small business, I would have a very different response then at a corporate outlet. I know a corporate outlet has a code of conduct, and rules written down for reasons to remove someone. Not spending money is not one of those rules.

The fact is that the owner of this Starbucks was probably in violation of his franchise agreement when his manager did this.

What's a regular occurrence?

Young black males loitering? Or young black males being asked to leave for loitering?

Are you going to purchase something? No? Get the fuck out. It's a business not speakers corner type of location ment for people to hang out at without compensating the establishment for their investment. You shouldn't even have to be told. Basic, basic stuff here. Your presence is a drain on resources unless it's a mutually beneficial relationship.

Don't care about colour, age or sexual persuasion.

They were in fact not loitering as they informed the staff several times they were waiting on their friend to show up who in fact did show up before the whole encounter was resolved.

Loitering means to hang around without purpose. They were purposefully there so that point is moot.

And once again, Starbucks encourages these types of activities. Not explicitly but its a de facto policy.

I fault the manager more so than the cops in this incident.

how about it? was the starbucks they were in full to capacity and they needed the table? also, they were customers. they were just waiting for the rest of their party who arrived while they were getting carted off (the rest of their party was a WHITE GUY!!!).
I don't know if the Starbucks was at full capacity, do you? And they weren't customers since they hadn't bought anything yet.

I few times. I recall most if not all with drinks, thermos, etc.

But it might be different other places and I've only been a few times.

As a side note I don't see how anyone can do work in there. The noise and constant movement would drive me nuts.

How busy is it and how long are they going to take. Unless someone is close I don't get a table. You are costing a waiter/business money taking up a table.

A friend and I were asked to politely leave a busy place about 5-10 minutes after we were done. Were just talking, had no problem with it, just continued talking next to our cars.
yea, i never work in a starbucks. maybe just meet to talk and that isnt very often. when you say thermos, you mean like a thermos they brought with them? well that is worse than having nothing. most buy stuff though, but certainly not all.

as for waiting for friends inside, i meant just waiting inside where they have benches. i didnt mean taking a table which has a waiter servicing it, as that is a different story.

there is no waiter at starbucks, so they arent costing anyone money. and it just happens all the time when you go to starbucks that all the tables are full. my understanding is they were there 15 minutes (i could be wrong). if thats the case, then they shouldhave been fine. and the fact that multiple patrons came to their defense shows they werent causing problems. but it seems people in here just keep ingnoring the facts and just want t assume they were in there for a long time causing problems with no intentions of ordering. the guy they were meeting said they were there to have a meeting about some invesment property.

And if this was any business that provided a service, approached customer service as you describe, they would go out of business.
This is so ass backwards as to be laughable. Lol! There.

Every business approaches service that way. Square footage equals income.

-Two drink minimums
-Mandatory gratuities
-Max stay times
-Guess what? They won't even let you into theaters without buying a ticket. Egads!
-You can't hang out in pay parking lots without compensation
-You're not allowed to displace paying customers while not purchasing anything
-Put your stuff in a storage facility without paying and see how that goes

What business are you in? Guaranteed I can draw you an applicable analogy. On a side note, I usually agree with you, but think race baiting has blinded you to basic logic in this instance. Who cares what colour they were.

Last edited:
This is so ass backwards as to be laughable. Lol! There.

Every business approaches service that way. Square footage is equals income.

-Two drink minimums
-Mandatory gratuities
-Max stay times
-Guess what? They won't even let you into theaters without buying a ticket. Egads!
-You can't hang out in pay parking lots without compensation
-You're not allowed to displace paying customers while not purchasing anything
-Put your stuff in a storage facility without paying and see how that goes

What business are you in? Guaranteed I can draw you an applicable analogy. On a side note, I usually agree with you, but think race baiting has blinded you to basic logic in this instance. Who cares what colour they were.

Get out of here man.

There is a very large difference between a busy restaurant, or club, and a empty starbucks.

Yes, I have been asked at a busy restaurant if we we're done, so they could seat other guests, and I didn't think they were racist against bald aging white men.

Where I live being told to leave and failing to do so constitutes trespassing. Which is an arrestable offence.

They were in fact not loitering as they informed the staff several times they were waiting on their friend to show up who in fact did show up before the whole encounter was resolved.

Loitering means to hang around without purpose. They were purposefully there so that point is moot.

And once again, Starbucks encourages these types of activities. Not explicitly but its a de facto policy.

I fault the manager more so than the cops in this incident.
Did they purchase anything? No? Leave.

Listen, I meet my clients at coffee shops regularly. First thing I do? Go order something. Why? Because they're providing me with a venue for my meeting and in return for their investment on lighting, furniture, heat, etc I feel obligated to give something back. And if I don't, I expect to be removed from the premises. I don't provide my services for free, and don't expect others to either. Welcome to structuring social contracts in an effort to live more harmoniously.

Did the manager know they weren't loitering? No, how could he. They refused to order and refused to leave.

Man I hate it when people don't order stuff at Starbucks. They take up seats that paying customers should be able to use. This has happened to me a bunch of times. That being said, the manager shouldn't have called the cops.
Sometimes if I'm meeting someone at Starbucks, I wait before ordering, especially if they're the one paying. Is normal. Never been asked to order, nor should I. If they ever tried to pull that shit on me, I'd never go to that location again. And that wouldn't be a good business practice anyway, considering there's literally a Dunkin Donuts right next door.

Get out of here man.

There is a very large difference between a busy restaurant, or club, and a empty starbucks.

Yes, I have been asked at a busy restaurant if we we're done, so they could seat other guests, and I didn't think they were racist against bald aging white men.
So now it was an "empty" Starbucks. Lol.

There is no difference. You're on premises for other reasons than the business was intended for as an investment? Bye!

We weren't buying anything.

We were loitering. Being teenagers. Hanging around just socializing and trying to talk to girls.

Exactly what these two idiots were probably doing, except they're broke ass 30 year old hoodrats - not 14 year old kids.
They were there for a BUSINESS meeting with a real estate developer, you giant ass hat.

Honestly, if I was at a small business, I would have a very different response then at a corporate outlet. I know a corporate outlet has a code of conduct, and rules written down for reasons to remove someone. Not spending money is not one of those rules.

The fact is that the owner of this Starbucks was probably in violation of his franchise agreement when his manager did this.
You may be correct, I don't know the rules of the agreement.

So now it was an "empty" Starbucks. Lol.

There is no difference. You're on premises for other reasons than the business was intended for as an investment? Bye!

You want people to come there and meet someone, so that they might decide to buy a coffee. If they don't feel welcome to do that, they will lose business.

It isn't good business to treat people like that. No Starbucks has a no meeting friends without buying first policy.

There's an old man quote

"Yeah it's a free country - But it isn't a free ride."

I agree with you.

But I don't think this would have happened to me if I had done the same thing. Even if I stayed.

It really all depends on how they were acting. Were they sitting quietly in the corner? Were they talking to other people? How did they act after told to leave? Why not just order a drink if you are waiting to get a coffee with your friend? I'm not going to bother to watch because two guys getting arrested in Starbucks for trespassing isn't really that big a deal IMO.

Back