Copa Combate 2 Was Tonight. What Do You Guys Think About The Format?

Bobby Boulders

My Lovin' Is Digi
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Three round, one night tourney. Quarterfinal round is one five min round. Semifinals and final are 3x3 round fights.

The unified rules allows for a maximum of 25 mins in a cage/ring for a fighter in one night. So the two finalists in these tourneys will fight three times at a maximum of 23 mins.

The one round/shorter rounds, in theory, force the fighters to push the action and fight to win, not just fight to not lose. It also allows for the fighters to not go through 15 min wars up to three times in one night, so the finalists are fresher in the final.

Also of interest in this particular tourney, each of the eight fighters represent a different Spanish speaking nation. So it is like a World Cup for MMA.

How do you buds feel about one night tourneys with shorter rounds?

Did any of you watch the Copa Combate on DAZN? What did you think? (I am just now tuning in, first fight is starting.)

Would you be interested in more one night tourneys under this format? We know Bellator has had one night tourneys in the past, but they were four fighters, 2x5 semifinal, 3x5 final. Would you like to see Bellator use this format for a one night, 8 man GP in the future?

Personally, I like the idea. In the West, it is the closest we can and will get to the glory days of the one night tourney. Even RIZIN isn't doing any 8 man, one night tourneys (but, I bet if they did, they'd be three regular fights, without the shortened rounds and such).

Finally, Combate Americas is a fun org. They have exciting matchups, and interesting ideas. If you haven't watched any of their cards, you're missing out. Give them a shot.

haven't seen any copa yet... so hard to follow everything.

I missed it. I will try and watch the fights though, i never pass up the chance of watching a 1 night tourney. Theyre just so rare these days. I went to the WSOF lightweight tourney here in Phoenix. It was fucking awesome.

I've only watched two Combate Americas events but both had me very entertained. One-night tournaments are the sweet spot for MMA. The more the better.

haven't seen any copa yet... so hard to follow everything.
Give it a watch. There are some really exciting scraps. The shorter rounds actually does bring about more action. Several finishes last night.

Overall it was ok. My only critic is being a Latino based company sometimes you lack talent in the cage just to showcase a country. The guy from Puerto Rico as an alternate had 9-2 record but his combined wins were against (33-88 fighters) you have to stay away from fighters like that. As expected he wasn’t at the level of his 8-5 opponent. I’ll prefer for them to get free agents like Parky and not just give the Hispanic countries a spot just for the sake of it. I’m a Latino person but im being honest here.

Overall it was ok. My only critic is being a Latino based company sometimes you lack talent in the cage just to showcase a country. The guy from Puerto Rico as an alternate had 9-2 record but his combined wins were against (33-88 fighters) you have to stay away from fighters like that. As expected he wasn’t at the level of his 8-5 opponent. I’ll prefer for them to get free agents like Parky and not just give the Hispanic countries a spot just for the sake of it. I’m a Latino person but im being honest here.
I completely understand what you're saying here. A few of the guys lack of real talent is obvious. I believe that will work itself out in time. Once they start making more money, when they have had more time to make their name, they'll start bringing in better fighters. They're already having legit fighters sign with them over re-signing with the UFC, so it's happening already, it's just slow going right now. I honestly tend to believe that this company has a future. It may take a while, but just think about Bellator. They began as a company that focused on Latino fighters and fanbase. And, in the early days, they were about where Combate is now. Combate may not evolve in the same way that Bellator did, but I believe that they'll start finding better talent in places where talent isn't generally found. I guess we will see.

I completely understand what you're saying here. A few of the guys lack of real talent is obvious. I believe that will work itself out in time. Once they start making more money, when they have had more time to make their name, they'll start bringing in better fighters. They're already having legit fighters sign with them over re-signing with the UFC, so it's happening already, it's just slow going right now. I honestly tend to believe that this company has a future. It may take a while, but just think about Bellator. They began as a company that focused on Latino fighters and fanbase. And, in the early days, they were about where Combate is now. Combate may not evolve in the same way that Bellator did, but I believe that they'll start finding better talent in places where talent isn't generally found. I guess we will see.

I agree brother and i hope for them to stay as long as they can. Not sure how much they get in tv deals? But last night between 1,800-2,000 fans at the arena. 100k for the tournament winner. 25k for the runner up. Alternate losers $2,500 for 1 round. Alternate winners $5,000 for 1 round. So is not that they are not investing but you can get more talent for the same value in other places and you don’t have to stick a bad fighter just for fan base purposes, because this corpses will only be 1 and done, they don’t have the talent. I wish them the best it was only a point I wanted to share since it was my first time going to their events live. They did 3 local fights and people were roaring, those were the ticket sellers

I agree brother and i hope for them to stay as long as they can. Not sure how much they get in tv deals? But last night between 1,800-2,000 fans at the arena. 100k for the tournament winner. 25k for the runner up. Alternate losers $2,500 for 1 round. Alternate winners $5,000 for 1 round. So is not that they are not investing but you can get more talent for the same value in other places and you don’t have to stick a bad fighter just for fan base purposes, because this corpses will only be 1 and done, they don’t have the talent. I wish them the best it was only a point I wanted to share since it was my first time going to their events live. They did 3 local fights and people were roaring, those were the ticket sellers
You were there? Would you say that, overall, you were satisfied with what you saw? Were people enjoying the format?

The unified rules allows for a maximum of 25 mins in a cage/ring for a fighter in one night. So the two finalists in these tourneys will fight three times at a maximum of 23 mins.

I was thinking about that the other day
How the hell could WSOF avoid that for their LW tournament (which Foster won)?

I was thinking about that the other day
How the hell could WSOF avoid that for their LW tournament (which Foster won)?
I'm unsure. My schedule for several years didn't allow me to watch WSOF very often. How did that play out? What were the rounds, how many fights in one night?

It says that the first round of that tourney was two 5 min rounds. But that leaves 15 mins for two more fights. That's interesting. I'm gonna dig a bit, see what I can find.

So both the quarter and semi final rounds were 2x5 round fights. The final was a regular 3x5. Not sure how they were able to skirt the max of 25 mins. Maybe it isn't a Unified Rules thing, maybe it's different from state to state and is a commission thing? I will keep digging.

So both the quarter and semi final rounds were 2x5 round fights. The final was a regular 3x5. Not sure how they were able to skirt the max of 25 mins. Maybe it isn't a Unified Rules thing, maybe it's different from state to state and is a commission thing? I will keep digging.

Yup (Sorry I was out and I couldn't answer you with the card).

It was pretty weird, right?
(Arizona?) Commission allow them to have guys fighting for a potential 35 mins

It was a badass card, too bad you missed it.

Yup (Sorry I was out and I couldn't answer you with the card).

It was pretty weird, right?
(Arizona?) Commission allow them to have guys fighting for a potential 35 mins

It was a badass card, too bad you missed it.
I'm piecing together that it is a commission thing, and not a Unified Rules thing. California allows IP to 25 mins. Arizona 45 mins. Oklahoma had a one night WW tourney that allowed three full 3x5 fights in one night. That's awesome.

Oklahoma had a one night WW tourney that allowed three full 3x5 fights in one night.

Interesting. What event/org it was?
Imagine going to the judges in every fight, that's a helluva time to be fighting on a single night

I'm piecing together that it is a commission thing, and not a Unified Rules thing. California allows IP to 25 mins. Arizona 45 mins. Oklahoma had a one night WW tourney that allowed three full 3x5 fights in one night. That's awesome.
Unified rules are a bit of a joke, at least in name, because it’s always a “commission thing.”

Interesting. What event/org it was?
Imagine going to the judges in every fight, that's a helluva time to be fighting on a single night
It was in Battlegrounds MMA, back in 2014. Had some guys you had heard of, too. Luigi Floravanti, Brock Larson, Cody McKenzie, Jesse Taylor, Joe Ray, Trey Houston, Roan Carneiro, and Randall Wallace were the field. Carneiro won. All quarterfinal fights were finishes. Larson was the other guy in the final, his semi went the distance, and the final did too. Carneiro finished his semi fight. Still, a long night for both. Not a bad card for a regional promotion. I'm in Oklahoma, I'd go to these cards, but they're held in Tulsa and I'm in OKC. Kenny Monday is the guy who runs the show, if you're familiar.

Back