Cool Crescent kick knockdown in Kyokushin tourney

Called a Twist Kick in Tae Kwon Do.

In my experience, not many people can throw it with power. To do so requires a lot of flexibility and strength. For most people, kicking at head height, you reach the limits of your flexibility just as (or before!) the leg is entirely extended and this really saps the power.

The people I did know who could throw it with power had awesome static active flexibility. The sort where they could slowly pose in a high kick position without getting tired. You need strength in stretched positions to be able to do this kick with power.

There's some excellent instruction at 16:02 in this old video (the whole of this tape was just a gold mine for tae kwon do kicks, btw):

Called a Twist Kick in Tae Kwon Do.

In my experience, not many people can throw it with power. To do so requires a lot of flexibility and strength. For most people, kicking at head height, you reach the limits of your flexibility just as (or before!) the leg is entirely extended and this really saps the power.

The people I did know who could throw it with power had awesome static active flexibility. The sort where they could slowly pose in a high kick position without getting tired. You need strength in stretched positions to be able to do this kick with power.

There's some excellent instruction at 16:02 in this old video (the whole of this tape was just a gold mine for tae kwon do kicks, btw):

No, The formal term in TKD is crescent kick. Twist kick is the informal term.

Last edited:

WTF am I watching....

Again what the fuck am I watching...They just said you can use the ankle as the point of contact while kicking - that's a sure fire way to injure your foot or maybe break it.

Nope. But they except hard shot to the head more. Chin tucked, rolling with shots, ect.

How is a tucked chin going to avoid a kick coming in an upward trajectory - you're still going to get hit. Also kicks don't have to knock you out to be effective - as long as they land & hurt - that's what you want.

That kick delivered to anyone with the element of surprise will daze or knock them silly or at the least hurt them. Sometimes that's all you need to change the course of a fight or even better use that opening to land a more powerful shot. You can see big dudes in those videos/gifs clearly get dazed by those crescent kicks.

Tsukamoto has successfully pulled that technique off against high level kyokushin competitiors (that are no joke - top of the food chain) consistently time and again which speaks a lot for him of course and that technique.

Any shot delivered with enough power and not expected will knock you silly - it doesn't matter whether they are a top tier MT fighter or kickboxer or an MMA champ and even if it doesn't knock anyone out - it will hurt to get a shin/instep thrown at your face. As long as it lands that's all that matters. Just the threat of someone being able to land a kick like that on you at will - can give you an advantage.

Andy Hug's axe kick barely knocked anyone out but the threat of it gave him openings. setups, entries & advantages that he wouldn't have otherwise had.

That crescent kick is similar imho. I could see that working in kickboxing, MMA, MT or even kudo.

Do you know what other arts he cross trained in? Most of the guys I've sparred with who used it were either tkd or kung fu guys. I believe Andy Hug had a background in those two arts aswell which is why he used such unorthodox techniques.

He's had exchanges with Wado, Shotokan, TKD, MMA & kickboxers. I wouldn't be surprised if he's exchanged with other styles.

I was under the impression that he got that crescent kick technique from his exchange with Wado Ryu guys - because that kick was made popular by Seiji Nishimura. That technique applied in that way - as far as I know doesn't exist in Kyokushin - which is why I'm sure he probably got it from sport karate wado guys (that's where I've seen the technique used). It wouldn't surprise me either because the way he moves in/out is very sport karate like.

Below video is Tsukamoto training with Takanori Gomi (back in the day I think):

A lot of instructors don't tend to be open minded to different styles - Tsukamoto is one of the rare few and his open minded thinking & taking what works regardless of style has been the reason why he's been so successful. His students are lucky they have an instructor like that. It's kind of sad that he's retired from competition - won't be able to see anyone fight like that anytime soon.

WTF am I watching....

Again what the fuck am I watching...They just said you can use the ankle as the point of contact while kicking - that's a sure fire way to injure your foot or maybe break it.

When did they say that?

Do you know what other arts he cross trained in? Most of the guys I've sparred with who used it were either tkd or kung fu guys. I believe Andy Hug had a background in those two arts aswell which is why he used such unorthodox techniques.

Aren't axe kicks part of Kyokushin?

With a nice little low kick feint at the beginning of the motion...

It was almost like a reverse question mark kick. Very cool. Reminds me of:

He kicked him with some kind of feet uppercut, Joe...

I don't know as I've never trained it. I imagine it would be. I havent read the kyokushin bible in a long time.

So why do you think Andy had crosstraining simply because of his more flashy kicks? Kyokushin seems to have most of TKDs kicks

So why do you think Andy had crosstraining simply because of his more flashy kicks? Kyokushin seems to have most of TKDs kicks
His web site stated he trained in kyokushin,tkd and kung fu among other things

His web site stated he trained in kyokushin,tkd and kung fu among other things

Ok, well then that answers your question. I know that the axe kick is pretty rare in older Karate styles, but I'm sure Kyokushin guys drill it.

I don't know as I've never trained it. I imagine it would be. I havent read the kyokushin bible in a long time.
Axe kicks are indeed part of the kyokushin syllabus. Oroshi soto (or uchi, depending on variant) kakato geri. Usually taught for brown belt gradings.

Although it would be true to say that the axekick was not very popular among fighters until Andy (and a few other of his generation) proved it worth taking a look at.
Andy did crosstrain (mostly for the joy of it in some cases), but that was once he was an established name -and his axekicks had already become his signature move.

Axe kicks are indeed part of the kyokushin syllabus. Oroshi soto (or uchi, depending on variant) kakato geri. Usually taught for brown belt gradings.

Although it would be true to say that the axekick was not very popular among fighters until Andy (and a few other of his generation) proved it worth taking a look at.
Andy did crosstrain (mostly for the joy of it in some cases), but that was once he was an established name -and his axekicks had already become his signature move.
what do you think of the unchambered front kick?

Is it in any kata? ITF TKD added the Juche pattern in 1982, to include the axe and scissor kicks, techniques that were formally missing prior to that point.

Last edited:
Back