Cool Crescent kick knockdown in Kyokushin tourney

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score

I believe I've seen Anderson Silva use the same kick. Personally I think crescent kicks are awesome kicks and very underrated and under used.

I believe I've seen Anderson Silva use the same kick. Personally I think crescent kicks are awesome kicks and very underrated and under used.

lol, that's like the pimp slap ver of a kick. Guy had the WTF expression after. Then the guy puts his hand out like, "bitch get back on the corner and make me mah monies!!"

With a nice little low kick feint at the beginning of the motion...

Norichika Tsukamoto the shinkyokushin fighter in that video is a very unorthodox kyokushin fighter - he's introduced a lot of unorthodox kicking techniques to knockdown competition because from what I've read he's very open minded with styles and has taken techniques from other styles and made them work in knockdown. I've heard that he dances as well.

He doesn't fight like your usual kyokushin fighter - his style is a bit like point fighting - a lot of movement, sideways stance but can handle himself on the inside & kicks/knees like a truck.

He's probably the most unorthodox kyokushin fighter I've ever watched. Definitely in my opinion going down as an all time great in the style.

He throws a lot of unorthodox kicking techniques. That inside to outside crescent kick is a very effective technique for him. He has a high success rate with those kinds of techniques but then again he's a great kicker. Not many guys throw that in Kyokushin & have his success rate with it.

Tsukamoto is a bit of an anomaly but lovely to watch.

DisguisedSpanishIcterinewarbler.gif

The reason he has such a high success rate with it is because he's very flexible (generates good power), has very good setups and more importantly has very little tells.

I wonder how good that low kick feint setup would be with a hook kick instead of an inside/outside crescent kick. I know I'd rather take the flat part of the foot than a heel.

Norichika Tsukamoto the shinkyokushin fighter in that video is a very unorthodox kyokushin fighter - he's introduced a lot of unorthodox kicking techniques to knockdown competition because from what I've read he's very open minded with styles and has taken techniques from other styles and made them work in knockdown. I've heard that he dances as well.

He doesn't fight like your usual kyokushin fighter - his style is a bit like point fighting - a lot of movement, sideways stance but can handle himself on the inside & kicks/knees like a truck.

He's probably the most unorthodox kyokushin fighter I've ever watched. Definitely in my opinion going down as an all time great in the style.

He throws a lot of unorthodox kicking techniques. That inside to outside crescent kick is a very effective technique for him. He has a high success rate with those kinds of techniques but then again he's a great kicker. Not many guys throw that in Kyokushin & have his success rate with it.

Tsukamoto is a bit of an anomaly but lovely to watch.

DisguisedSpanishIcterinewarbler.gif

The reason he has such a high success rate with it is because he's very flexible (generates good power), has very good setups and more importantly has very little tells.

I wonder how good that low kick feint setup would be with a hook kick instead of an inside/outside crescent kick. I know I'd rather take the flat part of the foot than a heel.
Do you know what other arts he cross trained in? Most of the guys I've sparred with who used it were either tkd or kung fu guys. I believe Andy Hug had a background in those two arts aswell which is why he used such unorthodox techniques.

Not sure that it will be as powerful. I have the feeling that the feint been so low, will "work against" the movement of the high hook. Instead here, the motion is continuous, from low to high. I still think it will be a nice strike, and will catch people off guard, but my personal feeling is that it wont be as powerful or fast...
Your hip must go from low to high from the side of your body, while here it goes from the front. It's a more natural movement.

My explanation may not be good enough, but i don't really know how to explain it better...

Cool. But i highly doubt that would ko a muay thai or kickboxer.

good vid, just goes to show you dont have to kick someone hard to the head to ko them. you gotta be very flexible to do that move powerfully. take one of these flexible high level kyokushin guys and put them in a thai camp for a few years. dangerous combination.

Norichika is awesome.

There's a video of him though getting Ko'd in a sparring session via knee to the face by Kenji Yamaki.

He's been trained by some legends, wouldn't expect anything less of him.

The kick might not seem that strong but he's shown to break bats with it at demos, and takahashi yuta, a young champ seems to be an avid user of this kick as well.

Norichika is awesome.

There's a video of him though getting Ko'd in a sparring session via knee to the face by Kenji Yamaki.

He's been trained by some legends, wouldn't expect anything less of him.

The kick might not seem that strong but he's shown to break bats with it at demos, and takahashi yuta, a young champ seems to be an avid user of this kick as well.
<6>

I learned this kick in TKD and have used it here and there sparring with different styles including thai boxers ( currently doing MT) and have landed it. Granted im not koing people with it in the ring as i'm not medically capable of being cleared to fight ( ᵃᶰᵈ ᵃᵐ ᵃᶫˢᵒ ᵗᵒᵒ ᵈᵉᵃᵈᶫʸ) but for what it is worth.

The kicks knock out capability or damage besides what was noted about having strong flexible legs is that is functions under the old saying of the strike you dont see coming is the one that finishes you, When its disguised as a leg kick then sneaks up and around the line of vision it gives it the potential to be seriously damaging.

Nope. But they except hard shot to the head more. Chin tucked, rolling with shots, ect.

BS. Knockdown karate guys expect a lot of kicks to the head. Anyway, Thaiboxer, boxer, kickboxer, knockdown fighter, doesn´t matter. its the hit you dont expect that KO´s you. You can tuck your chin all you want and get KOd by a weak hit you do not see coming. And although this is kick is not as weak as it may seem, I assure you that it is one that relies more on sneakiness, than the power to smash through a guard.

edited to correct annoying typo.

Last edited:
Norichika Tsukamoto

It's difficult to find good highlight videos of his crazy kick and knee knockdowns and KO's, but here's some of his knockdowns footage at the beginning of the video:

Back